Elk hunt 2009....The saga continues

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Elk hunt 2009....The saga continues

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Well There I was......

I just got back from a 10 day elk hunt back in the mountain wilderness of central Oregon. We went in about 5 miles inside the wilderness on horseback and pack mules.

The weather as cold and snowy. We set up two tents and a central kitrchen, and settled in to our 10 day hunt .

Opening morning on foot up the mountain, Saw 5 bulls at about 400 yards, I was carrying my Browning Mod 71 carbine .348 Win. with iron reciever sights, so I was not in range but another in our party had his 300 Win Mag and MISSED $ SHOTS! We couuld not believe it. For the rest of the time we chased the elk around but they were a real high. Higher than we could get. We got on some Big black bear tracks and I followed them for a few days but never saw a hair. All in all we had a great time but no luck.

Here are some pics from the trip.

I guess that is why they call it Hunting and not killing!

8)
Last edited by Pathfinder09 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Elk hunt 2009....The saga continues

Post by 86er »

Sounds like a great time!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

sounds perfect. thanks for sharing
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That is some very nice looking country. Guess you will just have to go again. I am sure you don't want to spend too much time out there, but, hey, sometimes you have to sacrifice and just keep hunting. :D
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

One day I hope to get a chance to do that!
Looks like a fantastic time.....in Gods country!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wow thats on My list. Great Pic's. Thanks.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D :mrgreen: ....I will get back out west. You guys are torturing me !! :lol: Thanks for sharing, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Just packing out into the back country is being LUCKY in itself!!! Nice pics, nice camp, nice report!! Better luck next time! 8)
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Nice pics pathfinder, was there any feed for the stock or did you have to pack it in. Those 348's will knock a elk in the dirt right now. danny
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Thanks guys.

We had to packin the feed. both grain and hey. we had 11 head, and 6 folks.

Alot of packin.
Last edited by Pathfinder09 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

That's the way to hunt elk! Maybe I will do it someday.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Great pics and congratulation on a great hunt.
Ricky

DWWC
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Looks like a great time, Pathfinder. Whether elk hunting or elk camping, it's just plain good to get out and recharge the soul. What was up with the guy shooting the 300?

I've got two geldings and I was thinking I need one more horse, but now you've got me thinking I need more. This is gonna get expensive.
Old Law Dawg
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Just out of curiosity, did the guy with the 300 Win Mag sight in his gun when he got to camp to make sure his zero hadn't changed? I would think with 10 days the first could have been relegated to making sure everyones guns were zeroed. Or was he flinching and would have been better served with an '06?
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

NonPCnraRN,
Well you know, you have a good point. I didn't know the guy, he was my pards son's friend. I don't think he had the rifle out much. He said he sighted it in at 3" high at 100 yards, but if you don't shoot much it could be operator problems. Which is what I think the case to be. He never thought to make sure it was sighted in when he got to camp. The bottom line is it was his bad.

I try to go to the range at least once a weekend, and I know how my rifles shoot. Others don't take them out but once a year to sight it in before hunting season, and that 's it.

My pard and I talked about it, and we just shook our heads. :oops:

Oh well better luck next time.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Thanks for the pics and the story. I was out yesterday afternoon with my longbow. Didn't see a deer but had a great afternoon.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Thanks for sharing your hunt, Jim. Sounds like you had a great time even without a kill. I'm not hunting this fall, so I'm hunting vicariously though stories and photos like yours. Thanks again for posting them!
RANisbet
Levergunner 2.0

Post by RANisbet »

Great pictures.
Did that many years ago. Son and I brought home 2 bull elk.

As for 400 yard shooting, lots of folks don't know that the bullet drop is "big" and 3 feet of drop is not unusual. Folks also usually do not realize that a breeze you can feel on your face can move the bullet 2 feet or more to left or right. Then there's the question, was it a true 400 or 450 or maybe 360 yards. I don't carry a range finder, so estimating beyond 250 yards is tough for me.
Bob Nisbet
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

With 6 people and all that gear and tents, that WAS a lot of packing with just 5 head of pack animals (if I understand correctly). Even at that, it's still the best way to hunt. I do this every year too.
Every yard sale I go to I dig through all the stuff looking to build up more pack outfits. Right now I've got 3 sets of crossbuck saddles and panniers and 2 old deckers that I just manti up my packs and sling it on.
One more outfit would be nice to where I can get camp in for my son and myself and have enough pack animals to get our meat out with camp in one trip. This was more important when we were 35-40 miles back in the Yellowstone than the shorter 10 mile or less trips. Camping like that and the packing are just about as fun as the huntin as I'm sure you know. Good pictures by the way.
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

Hi Wes,
Actually we had 11 head, 3 riding horses, 4 Norwiegen Fjords, and 4 mules. We had 6 folks.
We were camped at about 5500' elevation with hunts up to about 7000'. The elk were still high. The packin is alot of fun and it is one hell of a lot of work. Actually my pards went back in yesterday for the second season, I had to come back to work.

Sounds like you have a lot of experience packin. I've been in your neck of the woods, and the Yellowstone but never hunted or packed in that country. Some great country to be sure. Hopefully the guys will be successful this season. I'll report more as I know it.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

You guys did a great job packing from what I could see. Yes I have packed quite a little. Used to pack and guide elk hunters some and still do hire out to pack meat for those not fortunate enough to own any mules or equipment.
I couldn't agree more with your statement about the work part, but you did have a nice and comfortable camp from the looks of things.
The places I hunt down this way start at 7000' and go up. Last year in the Wind River's our camp was at just under 11000'. The air is darn thin up there, tough hunting when you're not ready for that. My ranch sits at 7000', but 11 is pretty darn high.
That's sure pretty country you're in. Hope everyone gets their elk.