Winchester Safety

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester Safety

Post by Haycock »

What year were the first safeties added to the 94s?
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Which safety were you interested in ?

In chronological order, there's the lever safety, the crossbolt safety, and then the tang safety.

The first was the lever safety, and IIRC, it was a loooong time ago.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

Would a 1981 model have been built with the CB safety?
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

No, AFAIK the CB safety came into use with the introduction of the 94AE in 1982.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

Thank you, sir.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Actually the Cross Bolt Safety was introduced in 1992 and the tang safety was introduced in 2004.

I can verify this as I purchased a brand new Win 94 AE Trapper in 1986 and it did not have any safety.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Haycock wrote:Would a 1981 model have been built with the CB safety?
No Sir, the CBS was intro'd as Joe stated. The angle eject and reintroduction of the forged receivers started in late '83.
The rebounding hammer was introduced in 1981.
Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
End the cycle of hatred, don't give them a tomorrow.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I stand corrected - Thanks Gents - I know the CB safety as only on AE's, and when the AE was introduced, but since I've only bought a couple of later AE's (.444BB94, .444 Timber Carbine, & .450M Timber), which all had CBS's - I mistakenly thought all AE's had 'em. :oops:

Wal, at least I was right - in that the 1981'er didn't ! :wink:
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

OD wrote:
No Sir, the CBS was intro'd as Joe stated. The angle eject and reintroduction of the forged receivers started in late '83.
Did ALL calendar-year 1981 rifles have the rebounding hammer or was the "feature" introduced during the year sometime, such that SOME of the 1981 rifles may not have a rebounding hammer?
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Haycock wrote:
OD wrote:
Did ALL calendar-year 1981 rifles have the rebounding hammer or was the "feature" introduced during the year sometime, such that SOME of the 1981 rifles may not have a rebounding hammer?
IIRC, the rebounding hammer was intro'd late in '81. USRAC, didn't take over until July 1st, 1981.
Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

OD wrote:
Haycock wrote:
OD wrote:
IIRC, the rebounding hammer was intro'd late in '81. USRAC, didn't take over until July 1st, 1981.
Thanks.
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

You're welcome Sir. :wink:
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

OD - According the this article the rebounding hammer was added at the same time as the cross-bolt safety and as a result of it for engineering reasons (the key comment is in the 6th paragraph from the end). If true, that would imply the NO 94 made in 1981 has the rebounding hammer. Whaddya think? Is the author smoking crack?

http://www.hobbygunsmith.com/Archives/M ... erview.htm
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Haycock wrote:OD - According the this article the rebounding hammer was added at the same time as the cross-bolt safety and as a result of it for engineering reasons (the key comment is in the 6th paragraph from the end). If true, that would imply the NO 94 made in 1981 has the rebounding hammer. Whaddya think? Is the author smoking crack?

http://www.hobbygunsmith.com/Archives/M ... erview.htm
They're wrong, what can I say? :wink:

I have an 1985 rebounding hammer, no cross-bolt safety. There are a number of '81 thru '91 owners here, they'll tell you the same thing.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Haycock,

I scan read the article and found this paragraph:

"It is important to understand that the hammer and trigger sears do not come in contact with each other on the New Model 94. There is a lever safety that protrudes through the lower tang and must be depressed by the lever in order to release the hammer. Essentially, the trigger engages the lever safety and the lever safety engages the hammer sear. This is the cause of one of the biggest problems with the New Model 94, which causes the trigger to have over a half inch of travel before engaging anything. Do not tamper with this safety feature because it prevents the gun from firing before the bolt is securely locked in place."

The information is this paragraph is false. First of all the hammer and sear does indeed come into direct contact. There is little difference in hammer, sear, and trigger function between the rebounding hammer action and the original hammer assembly. The sear engages the hammer notch at full cock, the trigger moves the sear to release the hammer.
The trigger block this author refers to as the "lever safety" does not contact the hammer at all. ALL it does is physically block the trigger from being pulled if the lever is not held fully against the lower tang. This ensures that the action is totally locked. That is all it does, it doesn't contact anything else.

Based on the incorrect information in this one paragraph I'd not trust the rest of the article on bit.

Now, as I stated earlier, and as OD has stated, the rebounding hammers were introduced late 81. No safety's were incorporated into the actions at this time.
The cross bolt safeties were introduced in 1992, that means that the rebounding hammer action predates the introduction of the cross bolt safeties by at least 10 years.

As I also stated for an example, in 1986 I purchased a verified 1985 vintage Winchester 94AE Trapper model that came with only the rebounding hammer action, no safety of any kind. So the information in that article that states the rebounding hammer and cross bolt safety were introduced is patently false.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

I didn't read the article Joe, but that paragraph you quoted tells me not to waste my time. :roll:

Thanks Joe. :wink:
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

See now..... that is why I love this site! Quick, incredibly well informed responses.

Gents... you rock! Keep on keepin' on!