What's The Least You'd Walk Around The Woods With?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
76/444

Re: What's The Least You'd Walk Around The Woods With?

Post by 76/444 »

The "least" around the woods, on the ranch, or in town, 24/7, with the wear and tear to show it.... S&W Air Lite 329PD 44mag 4".
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Old Savage wrote:A pocket knife.
What was wrong with my post earlier, Hobie, when I quoted Old Savage and agreed with him on this question? I still say the least thing I'd walk around in the woods with is a pocket knife. Why was my earlier removed?
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Breech clout and mocassins to drafty otherwise!
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

with 358429's in 38 spec +P brass.

DAV life member.
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

I have sure dragged enough heavy artillary around the interior swamps over the years.

Must be getting old, careless, set in my ways or over my fear of getting mauled...

Anymore I simply pack the 3"SP that goes most everywhere else with me. I do stuff it with 180gr hardcast though. Those loads make one appreciate the heft of the Ruger, along with the action strength. :shock: I shoot that little Ruger alot.

While it may lack in the raw power department, I am quite familiar with it and figgure if I got into sudden panic mode, I would most likely reach for it (or where it usually rides) out of refex rather than any thought. Old age makes me want to keep it simple ;*)

In all my years of poking about the afroturf of Alaska, and dealing with a few mock charges by humpback bears, the only critter I ever had to shoot in self defense was a moose, and him darn near in the driveway. Go Figgure. I am also much more worried about the neighborhood black bears than the neighborhood Grizzlies on most days.

Ventures to the coastline, or deep woods travel will still find the little SP as part of my pants system, but the Marlin 45-70 is close to hand (a mock charge by an irate humpback bear will convince most folks that a handgun is perhaps not the best tool to start out with...)

"Most" of the areas I poke around in, the bears are well aware that man is prone to "go off" on them and they get pretty scarce at the slightest hint of human contact. Other areas, they could not give a rip about your presence. I spent several days this spring catching salmon while a two year old Grizzly circled about. We kinda took turns at the hole with me giving him preferential treatment since he seemed kinda hungry at the time...

My Best,

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Just gotta try this picture dohickythingy here

Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Modoc ED wrote:
El Chivo wrote:I have worked up the courage to go with the Benjamin Sheridan .22 airgun and K-Bar on my belt. I think I have all the K-Bars now, it's kind of fun to pick one.

I like to have at least a .30-30 if I go two miles in or more. Seeing big piles of bear scat will do that to you. I hear that mountain lions are more likely to attack than bears, but for some reason they don't worry me as much.
Just where are you seeing all these big piles of bear scat in SOCAL???

You should worry about the mountain lions much more than any bear. You'll hear a bear but more than likely will not hear the mountain lion before it swats you a good one. Mountain lions are a dime a dozen all over CA these days. Bears -- not so much.

Got to agree with you on the mountain lions, but in the local mountains, heck local foothills, bears are becoming more prevelant. That;s mostly cuz you can't hunt them in area's near human habitation. Bears is smart. They've figured out that hanging close to homes gets them a free pass with hunters, and often free food as well. Worse than "park" bears.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I carry an older model Taurus 605 .357 everywhere. There's saddle boots on my 4-wheeler, the tractor, and the golf cart my Mom uses around the farm. My B92 .357 is always in whichever I'm on. Packs of feral dogs are the main concern here. We have see some mountain lions in recent years, although the state of OK denies them.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Min. would be a good knife.

Usual is a good knife and at least a .22lr, more likely a .45lc or acp.
Depends a lot on where. OH or PA?
Not a lot of bears in OH.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

JReed wrote:
Old Savage wrote:A pocket knife.
+1
and maybe a walking stick to go with it.
Naw, just a leatherman
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

This Winchester 95 in 30-06

And my bud Charley -

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

OJ,

I kinda hate to say it, but if any situation comes up that Charley can't save you, a .30-'06 ain't gonna be enough gun. You'd best start looking for a Ma Duce.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

At minimum a 22, along with my pocket knife, first aid kit, and toilet paper.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Birdman wrote:At minimum a 22, along with my pocket knife, first aid kit, and toilet paper.
Now in a pinch, THAT will really save your [ahem...] 'behind'... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Ruger 45 or Smith 4" 29. Usually also have a rifle of some sort though.

"Woods" here means where bears (grizzlies) live, tho they don't always stay where you expect them. I've never had a problem other than a bear hanging around the edge of camp for a while annoying the dogs, but know several people that have. Last I saw Jerry, he was healing up pretty well from the broken jaw, torn pallete, crushed laranx, broken rib, and bites on his leg, side, back and face. He carries a 41. It worked pretty good. He wasn't in "bear country".
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

Hate to say it, but I'm more worried about the two-legged critters roaming the woods around here. I keep my 1911 at hand with a spare mag or two depending on where I plan to travel. I've always got my Leatherman and my Benchmade folder on me along with a lighter and my SureFire 6PLED light. This is a good kit that carries naturally for me.

If I'm hunting, lately it's been my Winchester Trapper in .44mag loaded with 250 grain Keith slugs.
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

firefuzz wrote:I carry an older model Taurus 605 .357 everywhere. There's saddle boots on my 4-wheeler, the tractor, and the golf cart my Mom uses around the farm. My B92 .357 is always in whichever I'm on. Packs of feral dogs are the main concern here. We have see some mountain lions in recent years, although the state of OK denies them.

Rob
If you shoot a mountain lion that doesn't exist can you have it made into a rug that doesn't exist?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Not too much to maul, bite or eat you in our tame woods, although some areas are seeing Wild Boar returning :D .
I never go for long walks in the woods without a decent knife and my Zippo.
Wish I could take a pistol but would end up in the Tower of London if I did. :evil:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Black bears have suddenly become very common around here. You might see them anywhere but they have been seen several times in places where they hadn't been seen in 80-100 years. The emphasis is on "seen" as we all know we don't see even a fraction of what lives outside. This means that the bears have become accustom to and unafraid of people and will have behaviors that threaten both bears and people. Best to be prepared. I am carrying a .44 Spec loaded with Buffalo Bore's 14B .44 Special load.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Hobie, I just ordered some of that ammo for my Colt. glad to hear you like it.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

A canteen and a bag of jerky.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

A five inch Ruger Single Six in 38 Super. Had it made as my always on my hip woods gun! Packs almost enough punch as a 357 mag, so Im good for critters two or four legged :D
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

game keeper wrote:Not too much to maul, bite or eat you in our tame woods, although some areas are seeing Wild Boar returning :D .
I never go for long walks in the woods without a decent knife and my Zippo.
Wish I could take a pistol but would end up in the Tower of London if I did. :evil:
boar are showing up in penna.,where they never existed. the same thing happened with coyotes a few years back :?:
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I have walked the woods many times with nothing more than a stick. The least I would plan to take is my Gerber pocket knife. However, if I had a handgun :oops: , I would take that. But in the woods around here, that would probably be for the two-legged predators more than anything else. I plan to get a handgun as soon as I can afford it, and it will most likely be a big bore single action. :wink:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Bogie35 wrote:....and it will most likely be a big bore single action. :wink:
Beautiful! :D :D
2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

AJMD429 wrote:
Birdman wrote:At minimum a 22, along with my pocket knife, first aid kit, and toilet paper.
Now in a pinch, THAT will really save your [ahem...] 'behind'... :lol:

that must be what that 20 dollar bill was for. :lol:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Like Malamute said, sometimes "bear Country" ain't...

Jerry was hit by the sow on a relatively open sagebrush flat.

When things have a chance to get kinda Western, I upgrade to "minimum" equipment of Ruger Vaquero (.45 Colt loaded heavy), and a Cold Steel Recon Scout knife.

In the back country, I add either my .45-70 Extra Light or a 12-ga. double coachgun.

"Minimum" has many different definitions, in these-here parts
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I was squirrel hunting, walking a lane between the timber and a tilled field. As I was fording a small creek I looked up the bank and saw a hog looking at me from the weeds. I looked to my left and there was another by the waters edge. I looked behind me to my right and there was a third one on the opposite side of the creek. I thought to myself "here I am with only a .22". Then I thought "maybe if I stand still they'll move on". No sooner had I thought that than they all three started woofing and popping. That's when I woke up in a cold sweat.

I took that as advice from beyond. Even if you're only squirrel hunting, always carry something big.
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

OJ wrote:This Winchester 95 in 30-06

And my bud Charley -

With a pooch like that I would just remove the hinges from the side of the back door and put them at the top so it could swing both ways for a pet door. You should be able to declare him as a dependant on your tax form.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

NonPCnraRN wrote:
firefuzz wrote:I carry an older model Taurus 605 .357 everywhere. There's saddle boots on my 4-wheeler, the tractor, and the golf cart my Mom uses around the farm. My B92 .357 is always in whichever I'm on. Packs of feral dogs are the main concern here. We have see some mountain lions in recent years, although the state of OK denies them.

Rob
If you shoot a mountain lion that doesn't exist can you have it made into a rug that doesn't exist?

Funny thing about that...my cousin lost three head of calves about six years ago. HUGE cat tracks around all the carcasses. Called the state game warden in to investigate, was told there were no mountain lions/cougars in the state...but if he shot one he'd be in big trouble. Cuz told him he'd better not get between the end of his rifle and the cat, should he ever see the non-existent creature. About 3 months later my Dad pulled into Grandma's drive and saw two of them stalking my Grandma as she was hanging out the wash and ran them off with the pickup. If he had been 10 minutes later.........Last time Dad ever left the house without a rifle.

Rumor has it that the state brought them in to help control the deer population. Cows aren't as fast as deer so............. Now they don't want to admitt it.

Rob

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

And my bud Charley -

OJ,

You have a saddle for that horse? Seems pretty well house broken. :o

Rob

Because I can!

OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

NonPCnraRN wrote:

And my bud Charley -

With a pooch like that I would just remove the hinges from the side of the back door and put them at the top so it could swing both ways for a pet door. You should be able to declare him as a dependant on your tax form.
Point well taken - I bought and installed the largest oversized doggie door made and it's nowhere near large enough.

My phone is listed under his name (something I did before I retiredd from surgery - patients could reach me quidker through my answering service - I was single living with my dogs) so that sorts out junk phone calls and the only mail we get for him that doesn't get junked is the phone bill. He hasn't been billed from the IRS yet but, this administration may try that.

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER