Blackie 1996-2009 RIP

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Blackie 1996-2009 RIP

Post by Noah Zark »

Blackie, a wonderful, easy-going, all-white female longhair husky/yellow lab mix has been with us for an outstanding 13.5 years. She's been a real princess. Never one lick of trouble. Up until the past week, I could count on one hand the number of times she's thrown up in all those years.

One and a half weeks ago she stopped eating and was lethargic. Vet did a CBC and it came back anemia, with an elevated white blood cell count. After one week of Cipro and iron/Bcomplex supplements she was not better, and started vomiting. The vet kept her yesterday and did ultrasound last evening.

Not good.

Sometime later today due to a malignant liver tumor and multiple malignant splenic tumors of which some are necrotic, we will send her on her way.

You know it's inevitable, but you're never ready for it when it does come.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Ysabel Kid

Re: Blackie 1996-2009 RIP

Post by Ysabel Kid »

NZ -

I am really sorry to hear this. You know you did the right thing, but it doesn't make it much easier. Loyal pets become so much part of one's family. Prayers up for you and yours as you start to heal.

YK
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The worst thing about pets is when it's time to let them go. Sorry to hear.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You have our heartfelt condolences.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Very sorry to hear that. She looks like a wonderful dog.
NRA Life Member
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Beautiful dog, i am sorry for your families loss.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Noah, you have my condolences. Losing a loved member of the family is never easy. I miss my dogs more than most of the people who have crossed my path in life. I know you've seen the Rainbow Bridge, but I always think to that and console myself with the thought I will see my friend again. She was a beautiful dog (love the "snow nose") and a great family friend. Be comforted in the knowledge that you loved her, and she knew that and loved you back with all of her being. You will see her again, as our God of love keeps close those whom we cherish and love in return. Prayers up for Blackie.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I'm sorry Noah, you can see from the photo what a beautiful personality she has. In the long run it's sometimes easier to think of all the ways you've made each others lives better.

Ed
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Prayers sent for you and your family,and also for your devoted loyal family member Blackie(because that is what she is)may she go very easy drifting off to sleep knowing how much you guys love her. :(
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Deepest sympathies for the loss of your friend.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I went through very much the same thing with my good old Golda Girl. You and your family have my deepest sympathies.

Maybe it will be some comfort to know that one day you will be reuinted at Rainbow Bridge
Doc

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very sorry Noah. Looks like a wonderful dog.

It's going to my turn here soon enough. My lab is 15+ and has really been slowing down
here in the last few months.

Dreading the day.

j
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Very sorry to hear Noah...
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Mitch1352
Levergunner

Post by Mitch1352 »

I had a K9 buddy of mine have to put down his partner in August. Tjibbe had cancer. Saw a lot of "tough" guys cry. My thoughts to you and yours.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Sorry to learn of this. That beautiful animal reminds me of a Marema, a livestock guardian breed originating in Italy. My neighbor owns four of them and your Blackie appears to be the spittin' image of his. Our best thoughts in your time of grief.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Sad news Noah. This is the hard part of being a dog owner. I just lost our Lance but he was only just shy of 10 years which made it hard.... at least Blackie had a full life... my condolences to you and your family.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm real sorry to hear about your friend Blackie........
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Prayers up for you and your family. Sounds like a wonderful family pup. Hope the memories replace the hurt.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Really sorry to hear that. Cindy and I had our Vet come to our house to put two of our dogs down when their time came (a year apart). They (Scruffy and Angie) had been together since they were puppies. You are in my prayers and so is Blackie.
ED
Yer never too old
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I'm sending prayers on your behalf. God bless Blackie and all who loved her and all whom she loved. I'm sure she has deeply touched many lives in her time on earth. The God I worship loves Blackie (and my Gypsy, Sam, and Janie) more than we ever could. May He bring you comfort from the privilege of having known her.

Sincerely,
bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Noah,
My condolences, Blackie was part of your loving family and you gave her a great life, I'm sure she was well aware of your love, right to the end.
May Blackie rest in peace.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I know how you feel my friend. I put down my husky this summer myself. She was also 13 years old. Hardest thing I have ever done. Prayers and thoughts for you and yours.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I know how you feel my friend. I put down my husky this summer myself. She was also 13 years old. Hardest thing I have ever done. Prayers and thoughts for you and yours.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sorry to hear that, Noah. Pets, especially dogs, become such an integral part of the family nucleus that when they part they leave a big hole. My condolences.
Old Law Dawg
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

I wish to thank the community here for the outpouring of prayer, sympathy, and concern regarding our loss.

The vet technician and I were with Blackie through the whole process. The tech told me that they recognized that Blackie was "shutting herself down" because of no interest in even the most tempting of foods. The tech said that the ultrasound showed the speen tumors to be necrotic and leaking, and that was the source of her high WBC, and her vomiting on Monday AM. The tech also said (telling me parenthetically that she should not be saying it) that the staff was relieved that we elected not to have surgery to remove the spleen because the liver tumor would have spread somewhere else anyway. Quality of life post-op would have been miserable, and the dog would suffer through all that just for our selfish need to keep her alive a little longer.

I told the tech that surgery was never considered Monday night after the vet called us with the news, because the dog was doing what is instinctive in animals when they know their time is up. I realized that last week when Blackie wouldn't eat ham lunchmeat. Having Blackie euthanized was honoring her instinctive wish to die.

Yesterday spending some time with Blackie before we sent her on, I could tell she knew what was up and also that she was ready. She's been ready for a week, maybe more. I reminded her what a great dog she was, and that we would always remember her and cherish her time with us. We were a better family for having her join us. When I said, "It's time," Blackie simply laid down, one forepaw curled back under the foreleg as always. The tech told me the euthanizing agent was the essentially same as the sedative given for procedures, just a fatal dose. From the start of injection in maybe 5 seconds and Blackie just laid her head down. 15 more seconds and the tech took off the stethoscope. The actual process was incredibly quick and painless. The path leading up to the process was the incredibly rough part.

Blackie was a great dog, never met a stranger, never gave us one bit of trouble. She would go with anyone, and even stay overnight or longer and always acted with them as if at home. If she needed outside in the middle of the night, she'd come up beside the bed and give a low "wooooo" howl to softly wake you up. And I can count on one hand the number of "accidents" in the house in 13.5 years. Tell her to "stay" and she'd be there hours if you let her. Tell her "Car" and she'd stand by the hatch. Tell her "Porch" and she'd be on the porch, or at the door.

The tech said Blackie was the picture of good behavior while there. She hung out and watched the goings-on in the animal hospital and cooperated with them completely. The tech said we were truly blessed to have such a dog.

We have tons of photos and thousands of tons of great memories which are helping us heal, along with your prayers, thoughts, and concern.

Thank you!

Noah
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Gotta admit I'm a little teary eyed reading this and thinking about my "TESSIE". Noah condolences are not enough for what you are feeling right now but it's all we have to offer, but what strikes me right now is that we are forfunate enough to have all found a place to gather(here at leverguns) where people actually care that somebody lost a dog. in the world I live in it isn't always that way and i am so pleased to have found a group of men and women who are as considerate and understanding and like minded. thank you all.
Noah again sorry for your loss. We have moved on and gotten another Lab not the same as Tessie but unique and wonderful in his own way. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Man, I'm a mess after reading this. We have four dogs, and I have just found three soft lumps on the left flank of my 8-year-old Brittany, Doctor Watson.
Noah, Ben Franklin supposedly said beer was proof God loves us. I disagree. It is dogs.
Bless you and your family.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Not much gets my eyes watery,but that did! :( Prayers up Brother!
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Bill in Oregon wrote: . . . Ben Franklin supposedly said beer was proof God loves us. I disagree. It is dogs.
Bill:

Likewise, I have said for decades that dogs allowed themselves to become domesticated by humans because they found humans so easy to train.

Prayers and best wishes for Doctor Watson.

Noah
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THIS BREAKS MY HEART EVERYTIME ONE OF US POSTS THIS. I BAWL LIKE A BABY FOR SUCH A HEART BREAKING LOSS. I LOST MY DOG CHECKER, NAMED AFTER THE CHEKA, IN '95 AFTER HAVING HIM FOR ELEVEN YEARS. HE 'S BEEN GONE NOW LONGER THAN I HAD HIM AND I CAN STILL WEEP OVER HIS LOSS. WE HAVE TWO DOGS NOW, DREYFUS AND PISTOL, AND THEY ARE WHAT LETS ME KEEP WHATEVER OF MY SANITY IS LEFT.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Terry Murbach wrote:THIS BREAKS MY HEART EVERYTIME ONE OF US POSTS THIS. I BAWL LIKE A BABY FOR SUCH A HEART BREAKING LOSS. I LOST MY DOG CHECKER, NAMED AFTER THE CHEKA, IN '95 AFTER HAVING HIM FOR ELEVEN YEARS. HE 'S BEEN GONE NOW LONGER THAN I HAD HIM AND I CAN STILL WEEP OVER HIS LOSS. WE HAVE TWO DOGS NOW, DREYFUS AND PISTOL, AND THEY ARE WHAT LETS ME KEEP WHATEVER OF MY SANITY IS LEFT.
Don't feel like the Lone Stranger Terry!

I'm sitting here with my nose running and tears running into my beard, same as I was last night when I posted Rainbow Bridge.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Beautiful dog, sorry for your loss.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Godbless :cry: !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Never an easy thing to go through........my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Wm
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Sorry to hear :cry:
Ricky

DWWC
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I just saw this. :cry: Blessings to you and yours as well as Blackie.

I just brought Hank back from the dog park. I think I need to go out back and spend a little more time with him... :cry:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at