Replaced the 1887 with this SxS - More PICS!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

Replaced the 1887 with this SxS - More PICS!

Post by longhair1957 »

As Promised, I know everyone likes pics!
Here is the little SxS that replaced the 1887 that I returned.
It is a CZ-USA Durango 12 gauge, screw in chokes (came with 5 tubes).
This little thing is very nicely done, wood to metal is great, all screws are properly indexed (including the screws inside the forend on the little latch mechanisim that you only see with the forend removed!) Blueing is very nice and nice scroll work all over the receiver.(even the screw-heads have nice little scroll work) Checkering is cut not stamped, (Not as nice as my Cooper's checkering but not a bad job either!)

The Bowie Knife was a Christmas gift from my little 7 year old Daughter! She saw me looking at it on one of our trips to Sportsmans Warehouse, She took Mom there to Christmas shop for me and SHE picked it out!

Last edited by longhair1957 on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Looks like a nice set up to have out when your daughter's first date shows up :) :wink: Edit: Missed that your daughter picked the knife out! :o She's got good taste. Very nice combo there.
Last edited by C. Cash on Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Where're its HAMMERS??? No self-respecting double should be w/o external hammers! :lol: :lol:

seriously, that's sweet looking! Awesome gift also! 8)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

Nice. I'm kinda fond of CZ firearms.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longhair1957 »

C. Cash wrote:Looks like a nice set up to have on when your daughter's first date shows up :) :wink: Edit: Missed that your daughter picked the knife out! :o She's got good taste. Very nice combo there.
When My older Daughters were dating I made sure that I was always cleaning weapons when they picked up one of my girls....and I always had a little chat about " A Gun, A Shovel, A sack of lime, and a creosote bush" They always understand after that!
Griff wrote:Where're its HAMMERS??? No self-respecting double should be w/o external hammers!

seriously, that's sweet looking! Awesome gift also!
I looked at the hammer model but just liked this one better. the hammers was only another $90 but I liked the single trigger on this one, quicker for a pair of Mearn's quail for me! They are quick and in thick cover!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

floats my boat dude :D Respect to your daughter too :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longhair1957 »

Just a quick sidebar to you nay thinkers of the "Hammerless SxS" who think they are not period correct! :D :D :D :D

"American inventor Daniel Myron LeFever was the first to develop a "hammerless" shotgun in 1878. It used internal strikers that were cocked manually, but in 1883, he developed a version that cocked the strikers automatically as the action was closed. This type of hammerless action, or the similar cock on open variation, is nearly universal in modern double barrelled shotguns."

Just a freindly poke at Griff!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sharp!

Love a good SXS!!

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I do like the hammers on my Rossi Overland sxs, but that is a beauty. Nice knife with a great story to tell for many years to come...remember that when she wants you to buy her a Porsche for her 16th BD. 8)
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

My great-great-Grandfather was killed in 1887 by one of those new hammerless shotguns. The gun tipped in the buckboard he was going hunting in and went off, killing him instantly. :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longhair1957 »

Mike D. wrote:My great-great-Grandfather was killed in 1887 by one of those new hammerless shotguns. The gun tipped in the buckboard he was going hunting in and went off, killing him instantly. :(
Thats too bad..... :cry:

I have seen accidental discharge of hammer shotguns and other types of hammer weapons while the shooter is trying to lower the hammer after deciding not to shoot, sometimes poop happens.

But even back then I believe the hammerless design had a safety as seen in this pic. Not to say that his didnt fail!

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mike D. wrote:My great-great-Grandfather was killed in 1887 by one of those new hammerless shotguns. The gun tipped in the buckboard he was going hunting in and went off, killing him instantly. :(
Mike,

Not to belittle your great-great-grandfather's death but my great-great-grandfather was kicked by his horse and died. I think there are lots of ways to get killed. Everyone in the family acknowledged that he should never have gotten behind that horse...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longhair1957 »

Here are few more pics: