Skynyrd redeemed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Skynyrd redeemed

Post by AJMD429 »

I have always liked their music, but their "Saturday Night Special" song has always made me furious, and I've kind of held a grudge against them for it. Here's the lyrics from their new album, where they also say, "You can take your change on down the road, and leave me here with mine."
Lynyrd Skynyrd - God & Guns wrote:Last night I heard this politician talking ‘bout his brand new mission. Liked his plans but they came undone when it got around to God and guns. I don’t know how he grew up but it sure wasn’t down at the huntin’ club, ‘cause if it was he’d understand just a little bit more about the working man. God and guns keep us strong. That’s what this country was founded on. Well we might as well give up and run if we let ‘em take our God and guns. Out here in my neck of the woods where God is great and guns are good you really can’t know that much about ‘em if you think we’re better off without ‘em. Oh there was a time we ain’t forgot when you could rest all night with your doors unlocked, but there ain’t nobody safe no more so you say your prayers and you thank the lord for that peace-maker in the dresser drawer. God and guns keep us strong. That’s what this country was founded on. Well we might as well give up and run if we let ‘em take our God and guns. Yeah we might as well give up and run if we let ‘em take our God and guns. Don’t let ‘em take our God and guns.
It's about time they saw the light...NOW I can listen to their music loud and proud 8) (except for that one song :evil: ).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Skynyrd redeemed

Post by gimdandy »

WOW AJ Love the lyrics but haven't heard the song yet.
Last edited by gimdandy on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

No matter what you thought of the "Conservative" candidates of the 2008 election, some of the band members were among the few celebrities to come out against Obama and his vision for America. One or two of them were Van Zandt brothers as I recall. My brothers are Southern Rockers through and through and I love to hear the music, but personally I am more old Country, Bluegrass and Classical.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

JMO, Skynard may be trying to mend their fences, but they're not redeemed in my eyes - especially since I waslistening to band member's comments during a 2-hour Rock Line radio interview covering the new album, last week.

Yeah, they presented as "good ole boys", who like to take their rifle and shotguns out to a farm/etc even while they're "on the road" - but they're still down on handguns, even re-iterating & confirming the lyric "handguns aren't meant for anything but killing people", during the interview.

Bull pukey. :evil:

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Once again, I really wish that celebrities would not tell their views on anything other than what they are noted for while on stage or being interviewed. If they want to air their opinions, they should do it like we do, where everyone is on equal footing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Just noticed the "God and Guns" album (CD) at Wally World this morning (they had a 100-round bulk box of .223 for $39 and change! :D ), and thought the same - hate that darn song! Looks like they/he is/are seeking some redemption!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

YK, you bought some .223. Was it the HP or the FMJ? The two ranges I go to most will not allow FMJ from a rifle. Sorry for altering the thread.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Ok, so this time they're cashing in on the anti-Obama sentiment. What was it when they made "saturday night special"?, anti-gun violence sentiment among the peaceniks they were courting?

(Fwiw I love that song, "I'm tellin you son, it ain't no fun, starin straight down a forty four", despite the "handguns are made for killin, they ain't good for nothin else" line. Lotta good, even great songs with lines that aren't exactly a prescription for life. I mean really, "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die" is a line I bet many of us have sung, yet we're not looking to Johnny Cash to give us advice on living, are we?)

BUT, they're just "folks" and I don't look to them to form my political opinions, any more than I look to Willie Nelson for marriage advice, or David Letterman for corporate "interpersonal" ettiquette. They are folks with an opinon and a right to use their job/celebrity to express it, just like oh, Ted Nugent????
Certified gun nut
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

The song can be heard on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDjQkGql9r8

Performing "Simple Life" on Huckabee's show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP5iOZkbbrw
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

We can't write each other off because we all don't believe exactly the same. Also, what if each of us got judged by how we were when we were 15-25 years old? Folks change and gain some common sense as we move along in this world. I'm glad I wasn't written off by my family and by the Lord by my actions and faulty beliefs. I'm not saying we shouldn't give folks within our ranks an earful when they believe wrong, but we should never write them off either. Write that man or woman a letter...give them Hades, but don't give up on them and consider them grist for the mill. That's just what the other side wants.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ain't anyone redeemed, unless they profess their love and belief in the Lord. Whether Skynyrd is or isn't, ain't my concern. Their political views ain't gonna change mine. Like all public figures, they have an unequaled (by us mere plebian citizens) to espouse their views farther and wider. Just like my elected representatives... I don't agree with everything they do either... on the whole, yes, but when it comes time for nut-crackin', they're just like us, put they put their trousers on one leg at a time.

Anyone who believes different; show me. I like their music, just like I like some other's whose politics are in direct conflict with mine. I don't listen to their music becuase I like someone's politics, nor conversely, do I NOT listen to somesone's music because I dislike their politics.

If I ever get off my duff and finish the book I've been writing for the last 12 years, I certainly hope that folks don't consider my politics before deciding to read it. Ah heck, who am I foolin', I don't care if they read it... as long as they BUY it!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!