Odd dovetail size ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
haterock 2
Levergunner

Odd dovetail size ?

Post by haterock 2 »

I have just mounted a Lyman No.2 tang sight on my Italian made Sharps 1874 (Chaparral). I want to remove the rear buckhorn sight, and replace it with a slot blank or a fold down sight. The dovetail is measuring 0.480 and all the sights/blanks that I have come across are 3/8. Do You know if its possible to get something in this size?

Regards
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Odd dovetail size ?

Post by Sixgun »

I've seen several different sized dovetails on the old rifles. Colt Lightnings have an odd size which is slightly smaller so it was easy for me to just file down a normal sized one. With your larger dovetail, that presents a harder problem.

A buddy of mine is a nationally known sight dealer and he has boxes of all kinds of stuff and I bet if you can't find a new one, he has something that would fit. His name is Ken Bean of York, Pa. Just Google his name and city- the info comes up.

You might try Buffalo Arms, http://www.buffaloarms.com as they have lots of oddball things.-----------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

take a chunk of brass and a file..............
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Or, a clean, unlubed lead boolit - and swedge it into the dovetail slot, then file or burnish off the excess that exceeds the barrel contour/config.

The lead will color with oxidation/age.

haterock 2
Levergunner

Post by haterock 2 »

Thank You for the suggestions. I Think I will try with a piece of brass, and if that fails I will try the lead.

Regards
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

7/16 is the standard Sharps dovetail.