headspace problems

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

headspace problems

Post by remshooter »

have 45-70 guide gun , if shoot rem factory .405 rn jsp at 1300fps no problem ,primers are normal , if shoot win 300 gr. hp at 1880 fps hornady .325 red tips at 2050 fps and my handloads of 43.0 gr imr 3031 and 405 gr lead fp at 1600 fps ,the primers protrude quite a bit . never seen this on any other rifle .Have another 1895 with 22 inch barrel and new win 1886 el ,shoot all the above ammo and primers are normal ,level with the rim when fired .Have used no-go gauge ,lever closes till it pushes the trigger safty lever half way into the stock ,squeezed as hard as i could but the lever would not fully seat ,so i gueiss the head space is ok ,Measured the expansion ring it is the same range as my other 1895 so i guess it isnt an overlarge chamber ,any ideas as to what is going on ? sorrry no pictures ,no camera
Advanced Levergunner

Re: headspace problems

Post by 1886 »

Every rifle is different. That load would seem to be generating lower pressure in THAT rifle. If you are otherwise happy with that load, shoot away. Regards, 1886.