Using a Lee round nose 93 grain bullet in a lever action

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
trapdoor
Levergunner 2.0

Using a Lee round nose 93 grain bullet in a lever action

Post by trapdoor »

Can you use a Lee round nose 93 grain bullet in a tubular lever action. Is there any chance of a detonation because of the round nose configuration???
Jeff
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Using a Lee round nose 93 grain bullet in a lever action

Post by AJMD429 »

Search a bit and there was an earlier thread on the topic that was quite lengthy. I think the consensus was that you generally shouldn't use round nose bullets in tubular magazines, but a few people had done so with low-recoiling guns, soft lead bullets, and gotten away with it. Of course you can put TWO rounds in the gun, and you won't be shooting it unless one of those is in the chamber, so that would be safe other than if you dropped the gun when both rounds were in the magazine.

You could also file/cut them into flatpoints, but accuracy/uniformity might suffer a bit.

Personally, I've done it in my 1889 24" octagon .32-20, because I use very light loads, and the gun is very heavy (big octagon barrel, small caliber hole, long barrel). You'd NEVER see me try it in a lightweight carbine or a heavy kicker like a .45-70 or .444 Marlin.

Here's the link(s) I was referring to:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... lar+primer

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... lar+primer
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

trapdoor wrote:Can you use a Lee round nose 93 grain bullet in a tubular lever action. Is there any chance of a detonation because of the round nose configuration???
Jeff
I don't see why not. I've loaded the 110gr FMC 30 Carbine bullets in 30-30 cases over a max charge of DuPont IMR 3031 with excellent results.
No KABOOMS and they were fully jacketed bullets not lead.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The standard round for the 35 rem is a 200gr round nose. So I don't know why it would be a problem.
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

I've shot Remington UMC 38 Special lead round nose ammo over the past three years in my Marlin 1894C without any problems.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

what caliber?
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

BenT wrote:The standard round for the 35 rem is a 200gr round nose. So I don't know why it would be a problem.
The 35 Remington Cartridge was developed for the Remington Model 14/141 slide action, tubular magazine rifle and the model 8/81 Semi-Auto rifles. The 14/141 rifles have a patented cork-screw magazine that keeps the rounds from touching primers as they are stacked in the magazine.

I own a 141 Remington in 30 Remington, a very interesting magazine indeed. I was told the patent has eight pages explaining and describing the magazine in detail.

If I were to use 35 remington's in a Marlin Lever action, I would think twice about loading those round nose bullets. They were not intended for use in a straight tubular magazine. This is just my opinion you understand. I know it is done, this does not make it safe.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I still don't know why people are leery of using RN bullets in lever actions. Remington has loaded RN bullets in their 30-30 loads since before I was born, and continue to do it today. Were there ANY chance of tube magazine detonations their lawyers would have stopped this practice 40 years ago. The Winchester 25-35 factory load is also a RN bullet with a much smaller radius yet, and it is still loaded that way.

Ed
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I now see there is a clear 'consensus' on the matter... :roll: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Nothing wrong with it.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Has anyone ever heard or seen any tests ever done on this event? The Henry magazine plunger dropping on the shells is about the only thing we have ever addressed here that I can remember.
When you think about it, a rimfire cartridge might actually have been safer than a center fire shell in a tubular magazine. Just a thought.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Yes , I think Handloader did it a couple years ago. They used pointy and round nose bullets in a magazine tube . Set off the first one trying to get a chain reaction . The only caliber they could get it to happen with was the 45-70 with large pistol primers.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

BenT wrote:Yes , I think Handloader did it a couple years ago. They used pointy and round nose bullets in a magazine tube . Set off the first one trying to get a chain reaction . The only caliber they could get it to happen with was the 45-70 with large pistol primers.

Most likely Federal primers; they're the softest ones you can get.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1