green ammunition

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

green ammunition

Post by big bear »

I got about 30 rds of 348 factory ammo at a yard sale. It had been stored loose in a box with a wad of paper towels. It's got lots of green tarnish staining parts of each case. Cases appear intack. Anyway to clean it up before I shoot it?Thanks
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: green ammunition

Post by J Miller »

big bear wrote:I got about 30 rds of 348 factory ammo at a yard sale. It had been stored loose in a box with a wad of paper towels. It's got lots of green tarnish staining parts of each case. Cases appear intack. Anyway to clean it up before I shoot it?Thanks
If it's just tarnish then there's really no problem. I'd get a wad of 0000 steel wool and gently clean the cases off. But tarnish isn't usually green. Green is usually a corrosion. Then I'd check to make sure the corrosion did not eat through the cases. Sometimes in the middle of the corrosion you'll see spots where the brass has turned a reddish color then in the middle of that holes.

After cleaning them and inspecting them real good I'd just shoot 'em. Most likely you'll have a case failure or two. Then after that they'd spend time in the tumbler getting really cleaned up.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

From the title, I thought Al Gore had created another breakthrough in environmentalism! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Thanks!I thoght the GREEN would get some quick attention!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

nobearsyet wrote:Throw it in the case tumbler I got a batc hof old 50Cal bullets a couple years ago (the turned brass kind) that tarnished and a quick (well, maybe I shouldn't say quick) trip through removed all of it, but since you say it's old ammo, I have to wonder how old and and if maybe the powder isn't corrosive
NEVER tumble loaded ammo in a case cleaner set up. You may not like what it can do to the powder inside those rounds. Just clean them with a paper towel -- it may take a few, but they're cheap -- then inspect and enjoy.

As mentioned, you may have some case splitting, so if in doubt, throw that one out...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I have used a little bit of Brasso on a wet paper towel, it cleaned 'em right up.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Brasso contains ammonia. Ammonia reacts with and weakens brass. There are other brass polishes that do not contain ammonia. I'd seriously suggest one of them and not Brasso.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
southernutah
Levergunner

Post by southernutah »

use a scotch brite pad
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

nobearsyet wrote:Throw it in the case tumbler I got a batch of old 50Cal bullets a couple years ago (the turned brass kind) that tarnished and a quick (well, maybe I shouldn't say quick) trip through removed all of it, but since you say it's old ammo, I have to wonder how old and and if maybe the powder isn't corrosive
I wouldn't worry about powders, I'd worry about primers. I would NOT tumble loaded ammo. I have done it accidentally, but certainly can't recommend the practice.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Hobie wrote:I wouldn't worry about powders, I'd worry about primers. I would NOT tumble loaded ammo. I have done it accidentally, but certainly can't recommend the practice.
Certainly not with pointed rounds anyway.
ED
Yer never too old
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Some years ago, 10-12-15 I don't remember, I bought a vibratory tumbler at a yard sale. I had a bunch of 45 ACP rounds that just came out grody. So rather than wipe each one down I tossed about 400 of them into the tumbler and tumbled them. They came out clean.
Over the years I've fired them all off without incidence. It worked with the vibratory tumbler and round nosed bullets, but I don't recommend it.
I know the factories tumble their freshly loaded ammo but why take the chance.

Joe
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I am unconcerned about one round setting off another. What worries me is that some powders could change grain size or do something to the coating and thus alter burning rate in a negative way. If a cartridge were to be initiated in that environment it would be unconfined and not cause any damage.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie wrote:I am unconcerned about one round setting off another. What worries me is that some powders could change grain size or do something to the coating and thus alter burning rate in a negative way. If a cartridge were to be initiated in that environment it would be unconfined and not cause any damage.
Yep. That is the same concern I've heard others voice, and it makes sense, especially with the larger powders.
J Miller wrote:Brasso contains ammonia. Ammonia reacts with and weakens brass. There are other brass polishes that do not contain ammonia. I'd seriously suggest one of them and not Brasso.
Joe
Yep on that also - I'd be careful not to weaken brass with any type cleaner that might also clean guns/barrels. I threw out about 100 old 6mm Remington brass because of that one time... :oops: :cry:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Voila!The steel wool worked great, no problem. two of the rounds have a differnt looking bullet though. Silvertips are about half and half silver end and copper base. Three rounds have only a silver tip at the very end. A rough attempt at weighing rounds suggests they are lighter, about 20g.Headstamp all of them Super Speed. The "regular" ones also have "348 WIN" on headstamp, the ? lighter load has ".348 WIN." on headstamp. All of the letters and numbers on the "lighter" rounds are smaller than the regular ones and my new brass.I am quite sure they are not reloads as I got them from the son of the purchaser and his Dad did not reload. Anybody sort this one out? I think I probably won't shoot the unusual rounds, for now :)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Tycer wrote:From the title, I thought Al Gore had created another breakthrough in environmentalism! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Or another mandate! :evil:

I've seen green funk on brass cases stored in loops on a leather holster. Dumped them in the tumbler and they came out squeaky clean. Of course, none of the bullets were pointy. Still, when I first read the suggestion I thought it was nuts, but it worked perfectly.