OT/ Memories

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

OT/ Memories

Post by Dave James »

Just feel like sharing.Written awhile ago.

Saturday morning came along and I bounced out of the bed, which was hard I'll say those old tick mattresses and grandmas' quilts where sure warm and snug.But he had promised to take me to town and introduce me to a friend of his. Mr Jean was an OLD Marshall/trapper/and just plain Ole mean bugger, Grandpa was wearing his go to Jesus black suit and stetson,couldn't see a pistol on him so a I asked, told me not needed today,but he picked up his long black cane with the ducks head and said lets go boy. The day was great cold crisp snap to the air late fall the leaves where just about gone and there was hoare frost on the fields took an hour to get to Mr.Jean's, I got to set in his lap and steer that old boat of a car all along the dirt roads, Mr.Jean's house was a long low flat log home built into the side of a bank and had a sod roof traps hung every where and there where skulls and varies hides about, he had his wagon hitched up and the three of us jumped up and off we went,I knew better than to ask any questions,Mr.Jean pulled out a bundle from under the spring board and handed it to me and told me put it on. Turned out to be a hand tooled leather rig for an honest to god leftie!!!! and in the holster was a 1917 Smith and Wesson that had the barrel cut back to 4" and a set of hand made bone grips fitted with a black meerschaum grip adapted. I looked at grandpa and he nodded, so I slid it out check the cylinder and Mr.Jean nodded and smiled and told me "Load her up son" I remember him handing me the two moon clips full of the biggest shiniest bullets ever, as I dropped them in I heard and still remember the "thunk" as they hit bottom.
We rode for an hour or so and came to a old apple orchard and a sod home caved in.

Davie,that there home was dad's back in 1900 I married your grandma there in 02 , we stopped and stepped down, walked around the back , grandpa and Mr.Jean brushed off the graves and placed prairie daises on the graves. As we turned to leave grandpa went first Mr.Jean and then I half way back to the wagon I heard the lowest meanest growl, the hair on my arms and head stood straight up, I turned to look behind me and saw the meanest look yote in my life, mangy fur ears laid down and drool running from the mouth, before I could draw, Mr.Jean shoved me to the ground and in a split second drew from under the front of his colt, the blackest Colt,, but I heard two BOOMS!!!, Turns out grandpa wasn't un gunned the cane was in fact a 44-40 you turned the head and a trigger popped out, that was one DEAD yote.

Mr.Jean showed me the Colt it was an old 7 incher as he called it carried it in a slip holster sewn to the vest under the coat, no front sight at all.
Grandpa showed me the cane and told me it was built by an "English" fellow.

We spent the rest of the day shooting cow patties and what not's, I listen to their stories of hunting men and gunning them down as needed.

We ate cold meatloaf made from bison and drank tea from crocks.

Just wanted to share as I was going through pictures for the grandkids and found one of the three of us just before they both passed on, was a Saturday much like this one here, cool crisp and just a hint of fall to come.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT/ Memories

Post by milton »

Wonderful memories !! Thanks for sharing !!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Great story Mr. James.
Ricky

DWWC
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

+1 - Good historic perspective.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Wow!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thank you so much for sharing your memories. I wonder if you still have that rig and pistol? would love to see pictures if you do.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

thanks,

wish more seasoned folks would write down some of the more
interesting things that occurred in their early lives.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

That's when America had men that stood staring quietly into the sunset and you knew they were seeing past this world to a truth deeper than themselves.

I can hear the buckboard, the trace chains jingling, smell the horses and harness, and feel your wonder at it all. Thank you.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

milton wrote:Wonderful memories !! Thanks for sharing !!
+ 1 priceless !!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Enjoyed that, thanks :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

wonderful!
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks for sharing your memories with us.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

rjohn, I lost that rig a long time ago in a hole in the ground in a very nasty jungle