It ain't perty, but it is a lever, and I need some advice...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

It ain't perty, but it is a lever, and I need some advice...

Post by Old Ironsights »

JMiller can certainly attest to this...

The trigger pull on my Ruger 96/22 *censored*...

How do I fix it? :evil:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: It ain't perty, but it is a lever, and I need some advice...

Post by Rusty »

Go to rimfirecentral.com and look it up there. They have complete instructions on how to do it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Ironsights wrote:JMiller can certainly attest to this...

The trigger pull on my Ruger 96/22 *censored*...

How do I fix it? :evil:
Boy howdy can I. That thing feels like it has a 10 pound trigger pull. Probably doesn't, but it sure ain't nice.
I know nothing about the innards of the Ruger lever guns, so I will defer to anybody who does.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Just give it a good cussing, then give it to me.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

OI, do these use the same trigger group as the 10/22?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I think they're very similar to the 10/22 trigger group, and would most likely be reworked the same way I did mine.

Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

awp101 wrote:OI, do these use the same trigger group as the 10/22?
Not exactly, but as Pete said in his post the 96 FCG is very similar to that of the 10/22, and the same tricks apply. I've slicked up more than a few 10/22 FCGs and when I bought my 96/44 I jumped right in to tuning it and felt at home. I've since slicked up two 96/22s.

Very good instruction set at Rimfire Central.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I guess I'll mozy on over there to see what I can find...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

Why would anyone buy a firearm that has to be rebuilt, or shipped back to the factory two or three times, before it can be used or considered dependable? Never have understood this.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Oh, it's absolutely dependable. Never had it stuff out regardless of the feed. But it DOES have a 7# creepy trigger pull.

If it's the only thing I'm shooting that day it's not a problem, but it really sucks to go from a "good" trigger to a lousy one and back...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

pdawg.shooter wrote:Why would anyone buy a firearm that has to be rebuilt, or shipped back to the factory two or three times, before it can be used or considered dependable? Never have understood this.
Because there isn't a lot to choose from out there nowadays that's done right to begin with. If a person wants a great firearm, they will end up doing something to it that the factory was too lazy and cheap to do right the first time. I bought a Henry rifle last month...a .22, the thing has an action that is smooth as rocks on a table. It goes "Klunk" everytime you cycle it. I'm so disgusted with myself for buying it I don't know if I ever want to pick it up again. I suppose that I'm going to have to take it apart, or live with it...Last week I got a brand spanking new Colt SAA from the Colt Custom Shop. I ordered it locally. Well the action was gritty and the trigger awful....yep, straight from the Colt Custom Shop. First thing I did was take it apart, and one of the first things I noticed was that the mainspring didn't even have the heat treat slag brushed off of it....hell that was half the problem. Couple of years ago I ordered a new Uberti/Cimmaron Lo Wall...and when I got it I had to strip it down and get after it with a hone and some needle files....an 8 lb trigger with a gritty action just doesn't do it for me. So I"ve bought in the last couple of years, new guns from the cheapest (Henry) to one of the more expensive factories (Colt), and none of them were any good. So if you want to shoot, you either buy used/antique from when someone actually took pride in their work, or you buy new and rework it into a nice firearm. And IMO the only companies that differ and still put out quality from the box are Shiloh, and FA.

Colt, Uberti, S&W, Winchester, Browning, Remington, Taurus, all of them have forgotten the art of gunbuilding and are just assembling guns from the parts the machines give them now.

Ed
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

Kansas Ed wrote:
pdawg.shooter wrote:Why would anyone buy a firearm that has to be rebuilt, or shipped back to the factory two or three times, before it can be used or considered dependable? Never have understood this.
Because there isn't a lot to choose from out there nowadays that's done right to begin with. If a person wants a great firearm, they will end up doing something to it that the factory was too lazy and cheap to do right the first time. I bought a Henry rifle last month...a .22, the thing has an action that is smooth as rocks on a table. It goes "Klunk" everytime you cycle it. I'm so disgusted with myself for buying it I don't know if I ever want to pick it up again. I suppose that I'm going to have to take it apart, or live with it...Last week I got a brand spanking new Colt SAA from the Colt Custom Shop. I ordered it locally. Well the action was gritty and the trigger awful....yep, straight from the Colt Custom Shop. First thing I did was take it apart, and one of the first things I noticed was that the mainspring didn't even have the heat treat slag brushed off of it....hell that was half the problem. Couple of years ago I ordered a new Uberti/Cimmaron Lo Wall...and when I got it I had to strip it down and get after it with a hone and some needle files....an 8 lb trigger with a gritty action just doesn't do it for me. So I"ve bought in the last couple of years, new guns from the cheapest (Henry) to one of the more expensive factories (Colt), and none of them were any good. So if you want to shoot, you either buy used/antique from when someone actually took pride in their work, or you buy new and rework it into a nice firearm. And IMO the only companies that differ and still put out quality from the box are Shiloh, and FA.

Colt, Uberti, S&W, Winchester, Browning, Remington, Taurus, all of them have forgotten the art of gunbuilding and are just assembling guns from the parts the machines give them now.

Ed
I held a FFL for 26 years and Ruger was ALWAYS the most returned firearm of all. By about a 4 to 1 ratio.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

pdawg.shooter wrote:I held a FFL for 26 years and Ruger was ALWAYS the most returned firearm of all. By about a 4 to 1 ratio.
That's because folks expect quality without paying for it. It's a widespread disease of the American consumer.

Scott
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I musta bought all the good ones. I'v got 5 Rugers of one sort or another & they all work all the time the way theyre suposed to. Cant ask for much more than that. :)
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The easiest thing to start with is a lighter trigger return spring. It's very stought and that is where the heavy trigger pull is coming from. It's the little one behind the trigger that pushes it forward.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

RSY wrote:
pdawg.shooter wrote:I held a FFL for 26 years and Ruger was ALWAYS the most returned firearm of all. By about a 4 to 1 ratio.
That's because folks expect quality without paying for it. It's a widespread disease of the American consumer.

Scott
Scott, most of the time I would agree with you, but shelling out $800 Plus for the Uberti, and just over $1400 for the Colt...I think? I should expect more. Maybe I'm just disillusioned.

Ed
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Kansas Ed wrote:
RSY wrote:

Scott
Scott, most of the time I would agree with you, but shelling out $800 Plus for the Uberti, and just over $1400 for the Colt...I think? I should expect more. Maybe I'm just disillusioned.

Ed
No, no. I was referring to the dis-satisfied Ruger owners, not yourself.

Scott

p.s. My four Rugers have been a great value, in my opinion.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

BenT wrote:The easiest thing to start with is a lighter trigger return spring. It's very stought and that is where the heavy trigger pull is coming from. It's the little one behind the trigger that pushes it forward.
+1.

For some reason Ruger insists in putting a railcar truck spring in their rifles for a trigger return spring. I've installed lighter springs in 10/22s and my 96 levers and it made a world of difference.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

For the most part, Rugers are just fine, until people screw with them. No need to replace half the parts before you even shoot them, and most owners don't shoot well enough to realise a difference.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

OI - did you ever find the 96/22 trigger job info on RfC. I looked but couldn't come up with it. I guess I'm either impatient or don't really know how to cruise through a site. :oops:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

GoatGuy wrote:OI - did you ever find the 96/22 trigger job info on RfC. I looked but couldn't come up with it. I guess I'm either impatient or don't really know how to cruise through a site. :oops:
Yep. Looked at it, tore apart my 96, looked at the trigger gtoup and decided that I'll pay someone to do it. I don't have the right tools etc. Probably cost me as much in trying to buy the right stuff to do it myself as it would to snd it off to TT... and everybody seems to really like his action job.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Kansas Ed wrote: I bought a Henry rifle last month...a .22, the thing has an action that is smooth as rocks on a table. It goes "Klunk" everytime you cycle it. I'm so disgusted with myself for buying it I don't know if I ever want to pick it up again. I suppose that I'm going to have to take it apart, or live with it...
Ed
I don't own a Henry .22, but will acquire one soon. I do hang out over at Rimfire Central and those guys all speak highly of Henry's customer service. Many stories of Henry repairing or replacing rifles with problems, no questions asked, or providing upgraded sights, etc. at no charge. Email Henry with your problem and see what they will do for you before giving up on the rifle. Every Henry lever .22 I have handled has been smooth as butter.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

[quote="Old Ironsights" - Yep. Looked at it, tore apart my 96, looked at the trigger gtoup and decided that I'll pay someone to do it. I don't have the right tools etc. Probably cost me as much in trying to buy the right stuff to do it myself as it would to snd it off to TT... and everybody seems to really like his action job.[/quote]

That's what I was able to glean from the comments there. Suppose that's what I'll do.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Check out this link:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=235831

Scroll down to the "Trigger/Action Work" section.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Modoc ED wrote:Check out this link:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=235831

Scroll down to the "Trigger/Action Work" section.
Did that. When it comes to this kind of work I need Pictures &/or to be shown how to do it.

Only way/reason I feel even partially competent in messing with my Rossi is Nates DVD...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Old Ironsights , just look at the little spring behind the trigger . You don't have to take your gun apart to see. I bought one of these guns for my son and he needed two fingers to pull the trigger. It measured 9 lbs. I replaced the spring and it now measures 4 1/2 lbs. It wasn't a big deal. Midway sells a pack of Wolf springs for about $12 that comes with 100 springs 2 of each size. They are smaller than ball point pen springs. If you can't figure it out . For about $17 your can buy the rimfire assembly /reassembly book that covers over 60 different models. They have excellent pictures and are worth every dime. Switching springs is trial and error. Just count the number of spring raps and wire diameter to help in estimating stiffness to compare to the factory one. I think I used the same number of turns but smaller diameter of wire. Remember this is a lever not an auto . There is plenty of time for the spring to reset the trigger for the next shot. So it doesn't need to be that stiff. Take the spring out completely and then you can get a better idea of the amount of sear pressure your trigger really has. Most companys didn't change trigger designs to lawyer up triggers . They just put in heavier springs. Good Luck!
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Kansas Ed,

What is "klunking" in your Henry rifle? ALL of their rimfire leverguns make a very distinctive "slap", or "click", when the locking block locks up. If yours if causing you problems, then you better make Henry stand by their warranty.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

To me, it sounds like he needs to WD-40 the stuff out of it, then lay upsode down overnight; that's the easiest way to clean 'em thoroughly. Do that, and in the morning, ALL the stuff is in the top of the reciever. If it ain't that, there's a loose chunk of something somewhere. OR, maybe someone has already done that, and there's a buttload of sludge in the top of the receiver; that's how I learned. When you use my method on a dirty gun, the sludge in the top of the reciever will nearly keep you from being able to lever it!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer