.300 Savage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

.300 Savage

Post by Modoc ED »

There have been quite a few threads and posts on the .250 Savage and the .250-3000 Savage in the past months

In the newest Rifle Magazine (July 2009, No. 245), there is a good article on the .300 Savage. If you don't subscribe to Rifle Magazine but are interested in the .300 Savage, it would probably be worthwhile to pick up a copy off the news stands.
ED
Yer never too old
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .300 Savage

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've done the Savage 99 in 300 Savage thing a couple times !

If I ever get another 300 Savage it will more then likely be in a Remington 722 !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Hey, thats interesting; my friend John gave me a Rem 722 that was originally .300 Savage & someone did it to .308.
I bought a 700 .260 barrel for it, anybody want it before I hang the new barrel?
growslim
Levergunner

Post by growslim »

Savage has chambered their Model 16 and 14 bolt guns in 250 and 300 Savage Calibers. They are for sale now. I will end up with both to compliment my 99's. I hope.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome slim, what 99s have you?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I liked some of the article. But when the focus shifted to how to make the 300 shoot more like a .308 I lost interest.

I feel that vast majority of game shot with the 300 Savage has fallen to plain factory ammo. This ammo is entirely adequate for the task.

Many years ago, I read an article about a Prince in India that had great luck toppling tigers with his 300 Savage.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

Jim Corbett, the famous hunter of man-eating tigers, did most of his work with the .275 Rigby, which I guess is the same as the 7mm Mauser.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Corbett_(hunter)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had a Ruger 77R in 250-3000 a number of years ago . It shot well enough but I had another Ruger 77R in 257 Roberts at the same time and I kinda liked the Roberts better !

The 300 Savage I have had a couple in 99's and they were okay . One was a 1920's TD model that absolutely loved cast bullets . If I ever get another 300 Savage it will be in the Remington 722 or possibly a Remington 81 !

Had a like new 81 Woodsmaster in my hands about 15 years ago and let it get away ! Have often wished I bought that rifle !
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm going to load my .308 Savage 99A to .300 Savage levels... :roll: :lol: Buffboy's missus kills deer with boring ease with her Savage 99 .300..
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hobie, Robert the Blackfoot Indian at the local gun shop loads his EG 300 to about 2400 fps for pig hunting with 150 Hornadys and has done very well with it. I stroke left him with the use of both hands but only one arm and a leg he has to drag. He tells me the 99 is rifle he can still use.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Hobie wrote:I'm going to load my .308 Savage 99A to .300 Savage levels... :roll: :lol: Buffboy's missus kills deer with boring ease with her Savage 99 .300..

Hobie, great minds think alike! :wink: :D :D I've been too darned busy to shoot the past couple of weeks, but I will have the time next week to finish up a box of .308 factory loads in my recent-purchase 99A. First thing on my agenda after that is running up a batch of .300 Savage-level loads. I have used such a load in my .308 Spanish Mauser Scout-style rifle, "Old Ugly", for a number of years, and have found it quite deadly on deer too 200 yards and easy on the shoulder.
Adobe Walls
Levergunner

Post by Adobe Walls »

Howdy

This thread reminded me of a project 99 in .300 I've yet to finish. Maybe next week I'll take that back up again. I need to finish the wood (some cosmetic and crack repairs on the fore end and some toe chips) and get the thing scoped and zeroed. I've had it laying around way too long after buying it at Tulsa almost 18 months past. It was somewhat a gray rat and iffy when I looked at the bore but the bore cleaned up good to very good so I'd bet a small amount that it'll shoot well when finished. It's going to be a rifle with a "ghost" forever because the old timer that it previously belonged to autographed it on the receiver and stock! I wonder what adventure tales could be told if only the rifle could talk. In my mind this rifle was likely a primary huntin' gun that was carried as a tool for a bit less than half a century and wasn't really fired all that frequently over it's 50+ years of existence. I'd be suprised if it's actually seen 500 rounds of ammo in 50+ years. The seller for the family said that the gun hadn't seen the light of day in 10 or more years prior to his being asked to sell it for them. I believe that.

As for the .300 cartridge? I'm convinced that with what we know about the general effectiveness of .30/30 and .30/06 at their ORIGINAL ballistics, combined with decent controlled expansion bullets of CoreLokt or better quality, that the .300 Savage likely is as close to perfection in a package for 90% of the deer hunting anywhere in the world. It's an honest 200 yard deer cartridge any day and can be stretched a smidgen if you and your rifle up to the task. With a 165 grain handload using a premium bullet of Partition class (and whether that's even needed is subject to debate) it's also up to the task of elk and bear out to that aforementioned 200 yard range. All the while it still don't kick significantly different than a .30/30. It's probably a living testament to the fact that except for certain very special applications you simply don't need and cannot benefit from any more sauce than can be delivered with a 150-165 grain bullet at 2600-2700 FPS.
Yes, find me someone that disparges .300 Savage and I'll find you someone that just ain't considering all the facts and physics. :? AW
Adobe Walls
Levergunner

Post by Adobe Walls »

Howdy,

I just read back through these posts and noticed a reference to a Remington 722. I saw one at the last show I attended and wished I could have done some wheeling and dealing on it. I could tell it was a "sleeper". That's another semi vintage .300 Savage rifle that likely would perform way beyond it's general apearance or most folks expectations. Actually I'd love to have a Rem Mod. 7 in .300 Savage. A .308 would serve the purpose but it would really require some down loading to perfectly match the ballistics and behavior to the ultra compact launch platform.AW
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I love my EG Savage in 300. Killed a couple of elk with it, works great, love the balance and it is pretty accurate for open sites with my older eyes.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

dkm - what did you use on the elk - how far?

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

nobearsyet wrote:Those 772s are rare, almost as rare as a 30-30 bolt gun to wildcat off of
I assume you mean "722's" .

Actually a Remington 722 in 300 Savage is probably the easiest model 722 . I already have a 722 in 222 REM and they seem to be fairly easy to come by ! However the 257 Roberts and the 244 REM seem a good bit harder .

The 222 I have was my maternal grandfathers . I could've had a nice old 722 in 244 that my grandfathers brother had but I was to stupid at the time to purchase the rifle ! Seems I was hung up on Kimber 89BGR Super Grades at the time and to me the 722 was to plain ......dumb dumb dumb !

My how a person can change over 15 years or so !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Adobe Walls wrote: Actually I'd love to have a Rem Mod. 7 in .300 Savage. A .308 would serve the purpose but it would really require some down loading to perfectly match the ballistics and behavior to the ultra compact launch platform.AW
I've had a pair of Remington Model 7's in 308 . Both were stainless and synthetic . They were fine little rifles and I still have one in a 260 as well as 7mm RSAUM and 300 RSAUM .

With the 308 I loaded it to get what I could from it . And it shot very well ! However the recoil from BOTH of them was the worst of any guns I have ever owned !

My 300 RSAUM kicked less then the exact same gun in a 308 ! Now granted the 308 has a lighter barrel and weighs maybe a pound less but you wouldn't think it would be that much difference !
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

6 pt. I have the same Model 7 in 7-08. I have loaded every bullet weight and right to the max - no recoil problem - wonder what the difference is?

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Savage wrote:6 pt. I have the same Model 7 in 7-08. I have loaded every bullet weight and right to the max - no recoil problem - wonder what the difference is?
I wish I knew !

But I can tell you this . The 308's with 150 grain bullets would rattle you and my 300 RSAUM with 165's feels like a pussycat in comparison .

Also my 260 is quite user friendly as well !

I dare say the little Model 7's in 308 are more of a handfull then my 375 H&H MAG .
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have a 722 short action I am going to hang a .260 Rem 700 barrel on , unless someone wants it.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My brother shoots a 30-06 Springfield with no problem but thought my 308 Model 88 was brutal. I think he was mad at me for having him shoot it.