50/95 Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
E.Chaney
Levergunner

50/95 Winchester

Post by E.Chaney »

Hi ya'll! sorry if this has been covered but it is my first post. Today I was browsing the Buffalo Arms web page and noticed they are selling Uberti's copy of the 1876 Winchester in 50/95 no less.

So have any of you shot one of these in this caliber? If so I need details. Did you feel the gun was worth the 1140.00 price tag. If you hunted with this rifle did this caliber do you think it had enough steam for elk or maybe bison. Do you know the twist rate of the rifling? was it accurate.

This may seem like a strange thought but 1140.00 seems cheap for a 50 cal lever gun. Especially if you look at what Wild West Gun works and Turnbull charge for their 50's.

If you guy's think it is a good buy I may have to start saving my pennys and get me one of these things. I would want to hunt mostly deer with it and maybe the occasional elk or bison.
73sTheBest
Levergunner

Post by 73sTheBest »

Great gun, Uberti usually stays with the original twist (slow for a fifty) best with 300 to 350 gr bullets. Perfect for game hunting, not long range tho.
73sTheBest
Levergunner

Post by 73sTheBest »

Won't stabilize big bullets for bison ( if the twist is true to original). Might not handel the pressure either. Short range on elk ...OK.
E.Chaney
Levergunner

Post by E.Chaney »

It is ok if it is not a long range gun, I can't see much over 100 yards anyway. I guess I'll just use my Pedersoli Sharps 45/90 for bison. Really, I just need someone to talk me into another toy. :lol: If the quality is god that is good enough. The only thing that should scare me is the cost of brass. OUCH 55.00 for 20 empty casings
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

The 1876 Winchester in any caliber (45-75. 45-60. 40-60 or 50-95) is worthy of your attention. They are simply the most elegant expression of the Victorian gunmaker's craft. :wink:

The 50-95 was an "express" caliber and was loaded with a 300 grain bullet. As 73sTheBest has noted, they won't stabilize a heavier bullet. For my money, the 45-75 is the best for heavy game. For ease of loading, make it a 45-60! :)

By the way, 73sTheBest, I agree - that 73s are the best. Welcome! :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Grizzly, now you have my attention and I want to see one.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

E.Chaney
Levergunner

Post by E.Chaney »

Will the 45/60 handle heavier bullets? Say a standard 405gr 45/70 bullet.
I only intend to use smokeless so case capacity should not be to big a deal. Oh and what should I consider max presure this action can safely handle.
Should I use trapdoor 45/70 load data?
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I believe that the Italian made 1876s are good for 22K PSI.
E.Chaney
Levergunner

Post by E.Chaney »

22K is in trapdoor range, but I wonder if how much the shorter case would affect pressure if using trapdoor loads
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

E.Chaney wrote:22K is in trapdoor range, but I wonder if how much the shorter case would affect pressure if using trapdoor loads
That isn't what he said. He is speaking of pressure. Different cartridges so different loads. No .45-70 in the '76 for a reason.

Back to the .50-95... Now there is a cartridge for the 22" round barrel shotgun butted half mag gun.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
73sTheBest
Levergunner

Post by 73sTheBest »

I'll try to talk you into it. Uberti seems to be slowing down on some specific remakes and cals. Cimmeron does not list near as many examples of the 85 low wall any more. Dixie looks like there inventory is gettin real small. The market saturates fast on real specialty items. Better get one while you can, the 76 -was never mainstream and never will be. The slower twist most likly means its a tack driver with lighter bullets. And if it goes back out of production Even the Uberti would climb in value. And these things aren't just guns, my 73 talks to me, It doesen't like cats or marlins. Sometimes I sleep with it.
Asa Smith
Levergunner

Cimarron Uberti

Post by Asa Smith »

I've had my Uberti 45-75 for a month now and love it, very well made.
Would like the shorter barrel for carrying in the woods, the 28 inch is heavy, just could'nt wait for the 22".
GO FOR IT !!
Asa
SASS # 40835
Member of The Powder Creek Cowboys