marlin 44-40 cowboy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Monte
Levergunner

marlin 44-40 cowboy

Post by Monte »

Been looking at one but know little about the 44-40 what can people tell me about this cartriege?
Ysabel Kid

Re: marlin 44-40 cowboy

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Slightly bottlenecked. Not as easy to reload as pure straightwalled (or very slightly tapered) cases like the .45 Colt, .44 Magnum, .357 Magnum, .38 Special, etc. Historically correct cartridge though, and in 1873 lever-actions (and others) it seals the chamber much better than the .45 Colt. I don't have a .44-40, but the people I know who do all love the round.
Monte
Levergunner

Post by Monte »

Thanks for the information. I load for a 32-20 so I am thinking this might be much different. What is the range for accuracy on the gun? 200 yard max?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Not sure - I don't own a firearm shooting this caliber and never have. That being said, based on what I have heard from those who do, and have read, that would probably be the limit of one if you are a good shot. It is a pistol-caliber; makes a nice brush gun and one should probably stick to brush-gun type ranges when hunting.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Not sure - I don't own a firearm shooting this caliber and never have. That being said, based on what I have heard from those who do, and have read, that would probably be the limit of one if you are a good shot. It is a pistol-caliber; makes a nice brush gun and one should probably stick to brush-gun type ranges when hunting.
Correction: The 44 WCF ( 44-40 ) IS a rifle cartridge that was later chambered in revolvers. It was first introduced in 1873 in the Winchester 1873 and later chambered by Marlin and others in their rifles.

They maybe the same basic size as many revolver cartridges, but the 32 WCF ( 32-20 ), 38 WCF ( 38-40 ) and 44 WCF ( 44-40 ) are rifle cartridges.

As for reloading them the only things you need to be aware of are: the thinner brass, positioning the cases in the loading dies, and the need to slug your barrel and use the correct diameter bullet that's best for your rifle.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

The 44-40 is a super round . I have been reloading the same 500 rounds for over 14 yrs without 1 case failure and the brass has been reloaded over 75 times . My SASS/CAS loads are the same as 44 spl 6.0 Unique / 725 fps and my hunting loads meet or exceed the 44 mag . The brass is a little tricky to reload than a straight wall case . If you shoot Black powder the 44-40 really shines over most other cal .

Image..Image
Image......Image