OT - Kind of - Two "gun store" reports

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - Kind of - Two "gun store" reports

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Was in two stores today which sold guns or ammunition. First was Bass Pro Shops in Concord, NC. I had an appointment on that side of town, and just got a coupon in the mail for $10 off any $40 purchase (for my upcoming birthday). Now, I couldn't let that go to waste, could I?

Went in to pick up some primers, and possibly some powder and other reloading supplies. Not to be had - they were pretty much wiped out. Only primers they had were two 100-count sleeves of shotgun primers. A couple 1-lb cans of powder. Some odds and ends on bullets, but really nothing. No brass. And for loaded ammunition, 1/2 the shelf or more was empty! :shock: I ended up picking up $40 worth of percussion caps - figured it was only a matter of time before these either get tight or go up in price or both.

Later in the day near home I had to run into Wally World for some medication. Went to the sporting goods section to see if any ammo had come in. Nothing since the last visit - the cabinet is still 75% empty (and has been since a month before the election). When anything comes in you need to buy it right then or it will be gone the next day. They did have something new though - a sign on the cabinet stating they were limiting customers to six boxes of ammunition per day!

The fear purchasing is not letting up - and with all the recent grumbling about new bans, you know it's going to get worse! :shock:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Kind of - Two "gun store" reports

Post by Rusty »

MY son went to Wally World today as well. He said they also had a six box limit on them here as well. I'm thinking there must be some small gun shops that are using them for their wholesaler.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rusty - I hadn't thought of that, but it does make sense. When they got in bricks of .22's they'd be gone so fast it'd make your head spin. They were still selling them pretty cheap too - compared to the gun stores in the area. I bet that is exactly what happend!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yep, the smaller gun shops both eliminate the competition AND get stock for their customers. If you can't stock the shelves with guns and ammo you'll soon be a gun ACCESSORIES shop and most folks won't bother pulling in the lot.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I've seen that situation as well and know for a fact that at least two of the local gun and pawn shops were hitting all the Walmarts they could and buying ammo to stock in their own stores. I did buy 4 more bricks of Wincherster .22s that Walmart had at $12.97 a box. :D Hope this turns out to be decent stuff, I have little experience with it.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Hobie wrote:Yep, the smaller gun shops both eliminate the competition AND get stock for their customers. If you can't stock the shelves with guns and ammo you'll soon be a gun ACCESSORIES shop and most folks won't bother pulling in the lot.
Right on Hobie. That's already happening to a couple of gun shops in our rural (read really remote) community. One (of only two) of the gun shops here in Altruas is talking about closing his doors -- at least for awhile and another about 40-miles from here hasn't had a gun or any ammo in stock for the last 5 or 6 weeks.
ED
Yer never too old
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I talked to the night manager of the sporting goods section at Walmart a couple of days ago. He is also an avid shooter. He informed me that Gander Mountain (we have a store in Wichita) was caught buying up all the ammo at both Dicks Sporting Goods, and at all the local Walmarts, then marking the prices up ridiculously. So I'm inclined to never walk into that store again. I can find other outlets for my stuff....they were high priced anyway.

Ed
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Interesting...I was at The Gun Room in Elk Grove (south of Sacramento), River City Gun Exchange (in Sacramento), and Rancho Cordova Guns & Ammo (east of Sac). Ammo appeared to be on the shelves in plentiful quantities at all 3 locations. Primers were non-existent. Powder was a hit and miss proposition. Brass & bullets....the popular stuff was gone, of course. Plenty of WSM and WSSM brass and odd-ball caliber bullets.

Side note....i fondled 2 H&R 1871 Buffalo Classics...1 in 45-70 and the other in 38-55. Both were just plain...nice. Good balance. Nice action. That 38-55 was pretty slick but since I already have everything to reload for the 45-70, I may go that route next month after the funds have been replenished.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I've been stopping by wally world off and on for 2 months trying to pick up a couple bricks of 22 ammo. But the clerk would always say that when they got in a case of 22 usually 1 if not 2 people would buy the whole lot. They had 40 boxes come in the week before last and one person bought them all. So the clerks were happy last week when the 6 box limit per day was made by corperate. I might actually be able to catch a couple boxes on the shelf.

As far as Gander mountain goes . I'm done with them . They are gauging so bad around here. They have a lot of ammo on the shelf but alot people aren't buying. They are selling Remington 22 bulk packs for $25 when wally is selling them for around $15. Last week I got a brick of Rem from Ganders competitor in town for $19,only a mile farther down the road. I'm not impressed with Gander .