OT: a couple of Depression era guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

OT: a couple of Depression era guns

Post by C. Cash »

Much as I wish it were so, I don't know of any Lever Actions that survived my early family history. My folks were a very practical/frugal Farming people that always had a 22 or a Shotgun. Here are two guns owned by my Dad and his family. On left is a Winchester Mod. 37 in 12 Gauge. It was my Grandfather's farm gun. I don't know if it was made the year they were introduced, in 37, but it looks to be somewhere near that time frame, age wise. The 22 is a Western Field(Mossberg) made in 1937, which was also a family gun. It has shot more 22 rounds then can be counted, I believe. On the sewing machine is a picture of my Dad and his parents who owned these guns, taken in 1937, just before they left Knox Co. Texas for the cotton fields of California. Just playing around with the camera and guns this morning, and thinking of simpler times. :)
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: a couple of Depression era guns

Post by Modoc ED »

Good memories and nice guns. Very nice.
ED
Yer never too old
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Pictures like this make me wonder. How many of todays guns with the plastic parts, complex bits and pieces will be in that kind of shape in 70 years? How many of the lamps and plastic sewing machines will be around then too?

Stuff they make today is mostly trash. Nothing worth keeping. Very few of our guns will around in 70 years. Politics not withstanding. And just to add to this, how many of the guns made today, if used like those two, will be around and functional in 70 years? Not many I'll bet.

Most guns are just toys now, and made like it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thanks fellas. Very true Joe! Stuff not only seemed to last, but had some serious class as well. This 22, when I pass it down to one of my sons, will be on it's fourth generation. I was trained to shoot as a kid out near the Superstition Mountains with this one and an Ithaca 49. It is responsible for a lot of broken glass out there going towards the lakes. Good memories!
Last edited by C. Cash on Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Very nice.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I love those 37s. I had it in my mind to get a complete set of them at one point. thanks for sharing. very nice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice looking guns that I'm sure earned their keep! :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Which one are you sending to Gary Sinse? :wink:
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Which one are you sending to Gary Sinse? :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thankfully, he let me keep the guns as part of a plea agreement! :mrgreen: Thanks for your kind comments. I'm gonna try and get better at taking pictures.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have a Singer industrial sewing machine that looks a lot like that. Built like a tank.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

mescalero1 wrote:I have a Singer industrial sewing machine that looks a lot like that. Built like a tank.
Yep....everything still works....just missing the leather band that turns the wheels.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I bought a very nice non-lever Rifle this past week. A Remington 141 slide-action take down in 30 Remington.
This piece was made two years before I was Born, in 1936 first year full production run. Based on the original Remington model 14 hammer-less design of 1912. Very interesting design, a tubular magazine and it is designed so one can use pointed bullets. This one is in excellent shape and I plan on shooting cast bullets.
The quest now is to find brass. I was fortunate this week end to find a box at the Crossroads Gun Show in Phoenix.
I bought the Rifle at an Estate Sale from the owners Widow. I know the piece came from the Chicago, Ill. area.
These were popular in the Est & Mid-West with Deer hunters. They just never caught on like the Winchester 94. Remington chambered the piece in 25 cal., 30 cal., 32 cal., & 35 cal. Remington a rim-less case. The 30 cal. looks like a 30-30 Winchester W/O the rim.

I wish it could talk, I'd like to know how many Deer it has to it's credit.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My grandfather was and farmer and was told when he was a kid that for every shell shot you better have a game. All he passed down was single shot springfield 22 made in the 30's and a single shot 12 gauge Stevens. No fancy Winchesters.

Lefty , I passed on a model 14 carbine in 30 Rem this weekend at a show for $389. No pitting alot of the bluing was gone but a nice gun. I really want one in 25 Rem or 32Rem.But they are the mechanicaly coolest gun I've seen.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Lefty Dude....sounds very interesting and congrats. Some neat guns that came out of that era, including the Mod. 8 Remington. Get up some pics when you can. I can't visualize that model but will look through my guide.

Ben T.,

Yes... I knew alot of people of that era who were told the same thing as well. As to levers, I guess alot of folks who went through the Depression/Dust Bowl lost their sense of nostalgia, which is understandable. Eating must have been a much higher priority. Even after listening to all of their stories many times, I could still only imagine what they went through.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Here is one other interesting gun from the time frame of the 20's. It is a Western Field Mod. 21 folding single barrel 20 Gauge. It is out of Arizona and was given to me by my brother:

This is from my Mom's side of the family...from Eastern Oklahoma. This is my Great Uncle Joel Hartley(left) and his brother. He was an avid Coon hunter all his life and was a horse trainer. Looks like his brother is holding a Stevens single shot 22. Sorry for the bad/small pic.

Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

BenT wrote:My grandfather was and farmer and was told when he was a kid that for every shell shot you better have a game. All he passed down was single shot springfield 22 made in the 30's and a single shot 12 gauge Stevens. No fancy Winchesters.

Lefty , I passed on a model 14 carbine in 30 Rem this weekend at a show for $389. No pitting alot of the bluing was gone but a nice gun. I really want one in 25 Rem or 32Rem.But they are the mechanicaly coolest gun I've seen.
You should have bought that 14 carbine, not many were made. They had a straight stock, The Rifle has a pistol grip. 25 Rem. are a little hard to find, again not many were made. At the Gun Show I saw both a 25 & 32 for sale, asking price was $ 495.00@
If you ever see a 14 1/2 they are very rare, they were in 38-40, 44-40. They go for $1000.00-up.
You can't miss them they have a very distinct Mag. Tube that looks like a yankee screwdriver.

I paid $150.00 for mine, got a very good deal.

Now I am looking for a tang sight. Lyman made one a Model 14R. This sight fit the Remington Model's 12, 14, 141 & 25.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

C.Cash
That 12 ga. 37 Winchester looks EXACTLY like mine handed down
to me that was also my Grandfathers farm gun.
They are awesome old singles,killed alot of squirels with it,I also
was given an old J.Stevens 20ga single.I especially love the old
dark wood on those Winchester 37s.
Dont ever get rid of it!!!!!!!! but I guess I dont have to tell you that.

See ya,
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

madman4570 wrote:C.Cash
That 12 ga. 37 Winchester looks EXACTLY like mine handed down
to me that was also my Grandfathers farm gun.
They are awesome old singles,killed alot of squirels with it,I also
was given an old J.Stevens 20ga single.I especially love the old
dark wood on those Winchester 37s.
Dont ever get rid of it!!!!!!!! but I guess I dont have to tell you that.

See ya,
Glad you were able to save that one from your Grandfather. They are very neat and nope, never getting rid of mine either. I've had a good time restoring it without taking any of the original character out of it. The wood is really nice.....better than that picture shows.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Everybody should have a couple of those single shot shotguns. They're the greatest. Not very fancy but they make meat.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I used to have a Winchester Model 37 12 ga. It was my first shotgun ever given to me. Unfortunately, It was stolen from our deer camp while I was out hunting. I still have strong suspicions that my cousins husband was the culprit. However, I never found enough evidence to make the accusation! Thats one I sure wish I had back. That gun had a nice tight pattern!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

My Grandpa had an H&R "Long Tom" 12 ga. with 32 inch full choke barrel and a single shot bolt action Winchester 22 model number I don't remember. He told me stories of feeding six kids and a wife, had no money, used rabbits, squirrels, and chicken eggs to trade for what they needed from the general store. Grandma always had a big larder of canned veggies and fruits from the garden. Those were the only 2 guns he owned up until the sixties and seventies then he bought himself some modern stuff as he called them, Belgium Browning A5 12 ga, Belgium Browning 22 ATD, Winchester M43 22 hornet from his brother, Ruger Mini 14, and a Rem 700 in 22-250. Unfortunately I didn't get any of his guns :cry: my 2 uncles (Mom's brothers) took them all and they both have sons and grandsons so it's not likely that I will ever get any of them.........but I guess that's ok, they're still in the family.
UNITE
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Whats also cool about those singles is buy an old one
cut the barrel down to 18 1/2 inches,cut the butstock
down but make the guns over all length to say 26 1/2 inches.
Just make sure it meets Federal length limits of a shotgun!!

Now you have a Fantastic defense weapon that when broke
down(Takes 20 seconds)put in your duffle bag and you still
have somthing where the Stupid States which dont allow handguns
either in state or out of state you can protect your family.
When you get to the point of destination you want to be, say at
a lake fishing or in your tent/motel room etc.(protection at night) .snap it back together in 20 seconds and your good to go.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Don't ya just love family? :evil: :roll: Hate to hear of your and horsesoldier's bad luck. Hopefully they will come back to you someday....never know. Growing up as a kid in the 70's and early 80's, even then only the "rich kids" had a double or a pump. Nearly every one of us had a single shot growing up. This is one of my boyhood shotgun 2nd from left, a Win. 37A. I thought I had attained the pinnacle of shotguns when I picked it up, having graduated from an H and R. Now the funny part. My mom bought it for me at a drive through liquor store/gun shop. There has to be a redneck joke in there somewhere. On the Left is my other Grandfather's shotgun...an H and R that I turned into a full choked Turkey rig. He owned a bunch of guns but always gave them to his kids, so all of his old stuff was gone. This was the last gun that he had before he died and he Willed it to me. It is worth more than all the Purdeys in the world and if there was a fire it would be the one I would grab, along with the Win. 37 in the first post.
PS: Madman...yes my thoughts exactly. I did my Grandfather's Turkey gun pictured for that same purpose as well.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Love your Guns!!! They look awesome.
Your grandfather was a great man thinking of you guys like that!
ya know, with the little cut down ones along with the buckshot
loads, I carry several winchester supreme partition gold rounds.
Just make sure your not where hollowpoint ammo isnt allowed.
But check this out, even with the shorter barrel the 20ga is
pushing a partition gold 260gr slug(item SSP20)(1700-1800fps)
SAME AS MY 454 CASULL RAGING BULL with the long barrel.
Now with the 12ga its shooting a 385gr partition gold (item SSP12)
(1700-1800fps)WHAT??- you are in the 500 S&W territory,if your gun
can shoot 3 inches add 100fps more for either.
Also for the closer distances within 25 yards the not having rifled
barrels wont effect accuracy.I have tried shooting these in those
type of guns but I will say in the 12ga hang on tight.
They are kind of expensive(like $12 for 5) but who cares if you
really needed it.Now you have a Magnum BIG long Pistol legally.
I put a welded (you could use JB weld)neat looking choke/sight
thing on mine that is cool.I also for that one did the camo thing.
But again if you put any kind of choke on outside of barrel from
what I have read it has to be permanently welded.(which JB weld would do)You can check requirements online.But it helps alot sighting for the slugs.Also I am sure you know this but if you say
just hacksawed the end off the barrel make sure you dress the end to avoid barrel splitting.Even using a good jack knife at a decent
angle and go around the end where cutoff 5-10 times will dress the
end.This was an old trick a gunsmith showed me from Ithaca Gun Corp.But that is just my opinion and do these at your own risk though ?????? I am not a pro but it worked for me!
Have a good one Pal !!!
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thank you MadMan. He was a great man indeed....the best that I have known. I need to order up a I/C choke from Colonial Arms to go with the Full choke in there now(when I had it cut and a new bead installed, had the gunsmith thread it for the colonial arms chokes). Makes alot of sense with the slugs. It is literally a do it all gun, and the big hole at the end leaves an impression which might stop the effusion of blood before it is spilled. I like the coil springs on the Winchester vs. the V springs on the H and R's, but have only broken the latter type once. Another neat aspect of singles is that the average guy can collect them. The last single that I bought cost me 40 bucks out the door, and it was an early 1900's Stevens in good shape. It is sad to see them, along with the old Marlins/Wins in the gunshop, as you know a kid probably traded a piece of his families history for Beer and Cigarettes.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

$40?? What a amazing gun for that little amount of money.unreal
yes it is sad to think some grandfathers gun was traded for that stuff :(
ya know I hated and struggled to even cut down that one stevens
of mine, but I thought hey I will always have this and use it alot
for this purpose.Might save our life.
At least some of us guys will be diehard single lovers.
I have alot of guns, but the old singles I love the most!!!
Take care !!
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

My depression era gun are Remington Ryder#9 side cocker in 28 guage w/34 inch barrel,Win Mod 97 (1928),Win Mod 1912 (20 guage),Marlin Model 410(1929),Colt Gov 1911(1917) and S&W Army Mod 1917.

Sorry guess the last two are pre-depression! Hope my grandchildren(boys) like them as much as I do.

Bob :)
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I really like that Model 37 shotgun! Just a well cared for nice example!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Those sidecockers are interesting bobbyjack.....definitely something different. Gil Sengel featured one in Handloader in his "Farm Gun" article several years back. They loved those Long Tom barrels didn't they?

Val....for it's last 30 or so years, it sat behind my Grandfathers bedroom door, and they use swamp coolers where they moved to in Central CA! So, took off a light bit of rust off the exterior with 0000 and kroil. There was a time period in between my Grandfather's Death and when my Dad took it to his house that it was no doubt abused by some of my Cousins and their miscreant friends, based on the evidence. The lug/hinge pin was in bad shape, so it was sent to Keith Kearcher to rebuild the lug. Only cost me a hundred and change but would have paid about anything to keep the old girl going and to pass it on down. Other than that took off the chipping polyurethane finish(kept the Red Win. stain on there intact) and true oiled the stock and called it good. They have nice style and are a little different than your average single, which sets them apart.

Most red blooded American males will yawn when they think about a single shot shotgun. They want FIREPOWER. Even though John Wayne didn't tote one in his movies, it is still the unsung hero of Frontier/Farmstead America, with a lineage going back to Rev War America and beyond. Still working after all these years, and those same guys who yawn today at these old guns are unwittingly carrying on the tradition with guns like the T/C single shots and others. Someone just put it into a "Nascar" performance type package to make it more visually appealing, but it still does the same thing.
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Lovely old guns there.

My very first gun, lovingly restored by my dad (who passed a few years later) was a Stevens 20 guage. I can still remember the early morning dawn in the Minnesota river bottoms when that ol gal roared to life and I ground sluiced my first duck. (Eight year olds cannot be expected to be very sporting I guess but hey, my first duck! :wink: ) That darn straight stocked 20 guage kicked the snot out of me. It still does. Every fall, I take it out grouse hunting and use my dorky little Jack Russell to flush em up. What a fine old firearm it is. Utterly dependable and still kicking the snot out of me.

Thanks for the pics and the memories.

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills