OT: What do i have? Remington percussion

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

OT: What do i have? Remington percussion

Post by coyote nose »

Picked this up at a GS yesterday, got it fairly cheap (I think)....275 out the door. I am very familiar with Colts and often rebuild non working colt percussions. Thought I'd get a winter project and redo this remington. Seems fairly solid...nothing loose, all parts are there, just has a little trouble indexing. Assuming a little work on the hand will correct that, but we shall see. My problem is I HAD a book on Reminton handguns but ebayed it! :oops: Now I am looking for info on this online but cannot find any. Colt info is everywhere, but not Remington. 8" barrel, 44 cal, rifling is strong with minor pitting, barrel markings almost gone...can only see a few letters. There is a number on the bottom of the barrel...9XX then a space then an 82, so it is either a 3 digit gun (9XX), or a 5 digit (9XX82). According to the limited data I have I need the barrel address to ID it. Did Remington serial number the frames? If so, where? I think it is a New Model Army, but it could be a Beals? Any help would be appreciated. Did Bacon or some of those other smaller firms copy this remington like they did the Colt guns? Maybe I got snookered and bought a cheap imitation?
[img][img]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l299/ ... on1858.jpg[/img][/img]
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

I don't know what exactly it is, but even if it's an imitation, it sure looks like fun.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have read and heard that Rem. used assembly numbers for reference and started them over again after a batch was completed. There are several SN (assy.)#1`s in collections .
Many thousands of the Rem. pistols were made. They were high quality arms. :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Can you post some closeups of what markings you CAN see? Look VERY closely under the loading lever, face of the cylinder and under the grips.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The New Model Army has the safety notches between the nipples and the Beals does not. The NM Army will also be devoid of any "Beals" markings.

I know its impossible to see the gun, but thats me shooting a very fine 90% N.M Army Remington that belongs to my buddy Tom.

Last edited by Sixgun on Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Here is my 1858 new model army. This one has been reblued and a red king post front sight added.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Pricewise, you stole it! I have owned several original 1858 Remingtons. They make good shooters, they are strong and suprisingly accurate. 25 to 30 grains of FFG or equal black powder. Use an over powder lubricated wad and a soft lead ball. Some shooters will put the wad on top of the ball, I've never used them that way. The lead should "skin" off as it is pushed in the chambers for a good additional seal. Have fun!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

bogus bill wrote:Here is my 1858 new model army. This one has been reblued and a red king post front sight added.
Bill, (thats a nice '58 you have!) Anyway, look at the length of the grip on your gun and the length of the grip on Coyote Nose's gun. I believe he has the Beals as the grip frame was shortened when they made the '58
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Sixgun wrote:I believe he has the Beals as the grip frame was shortened when they made the '58
But, doesn't he also have the Remington safety notches you mentioned?
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Wow! What a find. I thought the Beals was only offered in 36 Cal? Anyway....very neat and wish it could talk. Be neat if it saw time during the "recent unpleasantness" :)
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

RSY wrote:
Sixgun wrote:I believe he has the Beals as the grip frame was shortened when they made the '58
But, doesn't he also have the Remington safety notches you mentioned?
RSY, I don't know if he has the safety notches as the picture is not a good close up. I said if the gun has the safety notches, then its a N.M Army, but then again someone could have swapped cylinders. These old guns have been played with so much over the years, you really have to have it in your hand to do a decent evaluation. (or some good close-ups with measurements added.)-----------Sixgun
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Very nice. I only have repro 58's sure would be cool to have an original. Ya done good
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Look under the rammer for the assembly number... MIGHT have it there... :wink: Speedy Mercer (formerly of Shreveport) showed me one at the show so marked.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

The cylinder has the safety notches, and has two sets of numbers, one of which does not match the numbers under the loading lever. under the loading lever is 933 then one space then 82. On the rear of the cyl. is 82 and on the next flat is a 50, also a "P" stamped in there. So, am I correct in assuming then this is a New Model since the safety notches are there and I am assuming the cylinder is not exchanged since the 82's match? (what about the 50 tho). As far as the bbl marking I can only make out a few letters, basically the markings are gone there and are of no use. On the outside of the cyl is an inspectors letter "G". Have not had the grips off yet. Maybe tonight. Thats a sharp '58 bogus bill.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I hope when you mentioned "redo" you meant getting it in working order, and not refinishing? It would be a shame to refinish such a nice gun, but it would be great to see it back in working order!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
john4me05
Levergunner

Post by john4me05 »

If i can offer a idea.. Try to CSI it.. Use a plain lead pencil and lightly rub it over the writing and then gently erase it.. See if any lead sticks into the depressions where it was stamped...
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Don't refinish it ! Do clean it up. Take it apart and use a good black powder solvent. The bore will probably be a black tube, but it may still shoot OK. 150 years of neglect may look a whole lot nicer with a little work. Keep in mind that we are only custodians of these old guns and that someday someone else will enjoy them. Refinishing any historic old gun, in my mind, is not a option.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Okay I got the grips off, the 5 digit number is evident on the side of the gripframe and it matches the number under the barrel. Looks like all i need to do is a little hammer work (the tip is peened over), I have to make or buy a lever loading screw (someone jammed a brass rod into the screw hole to keep the lever in place...you can see this in the photo). Sure hope the original threads are there. I'll carefully drill out the brass "fix" and see what i have. And finally the indexing problem is due to a broken hand spring seat on the hand. I'll probably buy a repro hand from Dixie on that one. Fortunately my main fear on any of these old guns did not materialize.... I don't have to weld the regrind the hammer notches...they are nice on this specimen...I was afraid that may have been one of the internal problems. I don't like doing trigger work.
And no, don't worry, there is no rebluing or refinishing going on with this gun. My aim with this rebuilding hobby is to take old guns that are destined for the scrap bin or destined to be broken up and sold as parts, and rebuild/preserve them as working specimens. It is a joy to work on these things and if they are shootable, a JOY to finally see the white smoke coming from them. I have no desire to take a 125 year old gun and try to make it look like it is 2 weeks old (besides...I know my limitations, that is beyond me).