1895 405 takedown purchase

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

1895 405 takedown purchase

Post by moodyholler »

Today I went to my favorite shop and there against the wall was a very ratty 1895 takedown in 405 complete with an express sight. It has been buffed heavily, has a replacement buttstock with a recoil pad and bore is dark. I have already made the pin it need and need to see some examples of takedown latches, which it is missing. Someone has soldered it solid in the past. It would make a great candidate for a restoration. As I have had a stroke(bleed) in the past, I am hesitant to shoot anything that has this kind of recoil. How does 38-72 compare? Any other conversions that could be done? I went there to look at a 30 US Army carbine, but was a little short in dinero. Thanks, moodyholler
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: 1895 405 takedown purchase

Post by Sixgun »

Leave it alone. You can shoot cast bullets in that rifle at around 12-1400 fps that will not give you much recoil.
That .405 sounds like a rifle in the category of, "I wish that rifle could talk".

I have a few 1895 takedowns and I'll take a pic when I get some breathing time. In the meantime, you should have no problem finding what the part looks like by doing a "google search' on it. --------------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

moodyholler,

Did you want to see pictures of the takedown latch on the 1895 or latches just in general? Mine is a reproduction if that makes any difference. Let me know if that's what you want.
I can't answer your question on recoil for factory rounds as I've only shot handloads, but if you reload you can load them pretty mild.

Sweet rifle and cartridge though!
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by moodyholler »

I like to see the repro latch also. Thanks for the info. moodyholler
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

moodyholler,

Here are some pictures of the 1895 Win takedown latch-
IMG_6115.jpg
IMG_6116.jpg
IMG_6117.jpg
IMG_6118.jpg
IMG_6119.jpg

Hope these help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Moody,
The 38-72 rattles my teeth more than the 405. I'm not sure why, but both 38-72's are harder on my shoulder than the 405 pushing a slightly heavier bullet. None of them are too much to shoot though. The .35 Win. is a nice alternate caliber, and I believe that it is truly the all around American Big Game Cartridge for that model. Just something to think about. Bullet selection is also much much better for the old .35. If no one comes through here in the next couple of days, PM me and I'll be glad to dig my original 405 out of the safe, take pics, tear it apart, and give you dimensions for anything I can help with.

Sorry to hear about the strokes, I had three of them between November of 2007 and Jan of 2008. Kinda changes the way you think for awhile. But things do get better eventually.

Ed
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by moodyholler »

KE, I had a massive stroke in 2005. They told me I would not live, then I would be blind and crippled. Now I work 40 hours a week, shoot, do about anything I want. I do have eye issues still. I think I want to trade this 405 for a 30-40 Krag 95 and am going to post in the classifieds as such. Thanks to all, moodyholler
schauckis
Levergunner

Post by schauckis »

Interesting.
Thanks for the pics, abcollector. Is that a factory-made take-down or has the gun been converted?

I'm having mine converted and me and the gunsmith are thinking of various models and the execution thereof.
Likely the gun will have a full thread (i.e. the barrel needs to be rotated a full spin or several spins rather than just half or one quarter) and a latch on the underside. The idea is that the latch will be sturdy enough to be used as handle when twisting the barrel in place.
Others' pics of their systems would be appreciated.

What kind of accuracy do you achieve from take-downs in practice?
Don't tell me "good" or "OK" - can you give me a ballpark like 1" or 2" @ 100yds or other like tangible measure.

Also the gun will be re-stocked in plywood or shall I fashionably call it laminate.
I'll also have a recoil pad fitted, and slightly alter the stock design to better cope with the recoil.
Would anyone have pics of modified Win 1895 stocks to give some ideas, please?

- Lars
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My "like new" Miroku 1895 .405W takedown is very tight and requires a little effort to turn 90 degrees to remove the barrel from the receiver. :) I will likely never need to use the adjustment feature to remove slack from the connection.
Hunting accuracy is fine with factory Hornady ammo and the Williams FP peep sight, it shoots an inch or two over a six oclock hold on the front sight bead at 100 yards and that is perfect for me. I have not tried for tiny groups from the bench, but now that I have a Lead Sled, I may play with it some on the bench.
Recoil is not an issue when hunting, but might be with an extended benchrest session.

For further information on the takedown feature, the Winchester web site has a PDF of a manual on the 1895 Takedown, Click on this link:

http://media.winchesterguns.com/pdf/om/ ... ownsup.pdf
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
schauckis
Levergunner

Post by schauckis »

Thank you; this was most informative!

- Lars
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by moodyholler »

Shot the 405 today with Hornady factory ammo and it is not too bad. However, it does have headspace issues. Thanks for all the pics of the latch. I have found a repro but still amy trade it off for a 95 in 30-40. Thanks, JAP