Primer prices

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Primer prices

Post by Streetstar »

Had a succesful trip to Bass Pro Shops last night, which resulted in a .44 mag and .357 Hornady die set, some boxes of LeverRevolution 45/70 and 30-30 ammo, a couple of boxes of somewhat overpriced projectiles (not too bad -- i am experimenting with loads, so i just wanted small quantities)

Asked about primers and powder and the clerk said they had one box of Winchester WLR large rifle primers, to which i gladly replied "I'll take it ! " :D
I didnt even ask price, as i was assuming maybe 35 bucks or so, and i was purchasing so much miscellaneous stuff that i didnt even notice the price at the register until i got home and looked at the receipt

$54.90 :shock: :o :? :oops:
----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Primer prices

Post by Blaine »

They must have had the barcode for that trolling motor on the primers...... :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Wow. You might check that... that's really out of control.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I believe they call that price gouging.

Or robbery

Or extortion

Last primers I bought were 31.99 per K. I hope that dealer still has some at that price. From what you guys are saying I should buy him out.

JOe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

The prices will continue to skyrocket as long as people will buy them at any price. :shock:
Antietamgw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Antietamgw »

That's bad, TnT Reloading (online too, good folks) had limited primers at the Harrisburg, PA show, limit 1K per head, at about $30. One local shop wanted $7.99/100 a couple months back for old stock. Haven't been in since.
Keep your sword and your plow share, know how and when to use them.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That sucks. I paid $750 for 30K but that will last me close to 5 years--cheap shootin'----Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We don't charge that for BENCHREST/MATCH primers. Indeed, we're $10 a thousand LESS than that price!!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Hobie wrote:We don't charge that for BENCHREST/MATCH primers. Indeed, we're $10 a thousand LESS than that price!!
That would make your shop's price about $44.90 Hobie. Pretty stiff compared to just a few months ago.

Everybody ought to start getting used to higher prices though.

Glad I've stocked up/hoarded over the last year.
ED
Yer never too old
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Modoc ED wrote:
Hobie wrote:We don't charge that for BENCHREST/MATCH primers. Indeed, we're $10 a thousand LESS than that price!!
That would make your shop's price about $44.90 Hobie. Pretty stiff compared to just a few months ago.

Everybody ought to start getting used to higher prices though.

Glad I've stocked up/hoarded over the last year.
I'm glad I did, too. I keep thinking I didn't get enough though! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

You guys should go take a look over on gunbroker. Some guy just paid over $600 for 5K small rifle primers. :o
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I just paid $26 for 1k small pistol primers 3 weeks ago . Went back to get another1k and they were out . Went to Gander a mile away and they wanted $40 per 1K. Went back to the other shop and they said they would getting some tomorrow and woukd set aside a box for me but the price went up to $28. I'm O. K. with that. I'll be set for a year with another box
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I stopped by the Bass Pro in Whorelando tonight and bought some myself. $54 per thousand was the price they quoted me as well. I only bought $400.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Streetstar wrote:Had a succesful trip to Bass Pro Shops last night, which resulted in a .44 mag and .357 Hornady die set, some boxes of LeverRevolution 45/70 and 30-30 ammo, a couple of boxes of somewhat overpriced projectiles (not too bad -- i am experimenting with loads, so i just wanted small quantities)

Asked about primers and powder and the clerk said they had one box of Winchester WLR large rifle primers, to which i gladly replied "I'll take it ! " :D
I didnt even ask price, as i was assuming maybe 35 bucks or so, and i was purchasing so much miscellaneous stuff that i didnt even notice the price at the register until i got home and looked at the receipt

$54.90 :shock: :o :? :oops:

I swear i saw a carton on gunbroker a few weeks ago going for $90 bucks and they were bidding on it.
g rice
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Just before fleabay stopped brass, primer and such sales, I bought about 30K from an ol' timer out in NM quitting the reloading game. Thought it would last a lot longer!!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

The cheapest I saw at the gunshow this past weekend was $60/1000, it's just sick isnt it ?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

ok, so maybe i didnt get corn holed :o as bad as i thought . Sounds like most of you are seeing some sickening prices. makes me want to go back and get more now, if this keeps up, they'll be over a hunskie soon
----- Doug
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I just picked up 1000LR at a small local shop. $32.00. I better go back for more. last week I ran in the local Gander and they wanted $50.00 (plus tax) for a 50ct bag of Winchester 45-70 brass.that why they don't get my $$$.
coydog
Levergunner 1.0

Post by coydog »

The basspro shop in our area doesant even sell reloading supplies at all.We have one gun store that does that i know of and they were high before all this started.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Lets see if we can put a cause to these high prices.

1: A prolonged military action in the middle east using up millions of rounds of ammo, greatly straining our ammo manufacturers ability to keep up with the demand.

2: A severe price hike in the cost of metals a couple years ago.

3: Higher fuel and energy costs that effected everything and still is.

4: A presidential election that put corrupt anti-constitution politicians into office.

5: Federal, state and local governments restricting our ability to acquire components and ammo.

6: Fear of coming up empty handed when ammo and components are banned.

7: Fear that the Feds are going to ban guns, ammo, components.

8: Fear that the economy is going to collapse and we'll see TEOTWAWKI.

9: Fear of riots, race wars, and civil war.

10: Price gouging by individuals and some companies.

11: Supply and demand. Right now there is more demand than supply.

12: All of the above.

I still don't like these high prices and really can't afford to pay them. If it continues this upward spiral many people will be unable to afford even factory ammo. Our sport and life style will end.

JMHO

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

It's NOT fear Joe. It's SMART BUYING.

Instead of just buying a three to six months supply of loaded ammo and reloading components like I used to, I'm now buying a three to six year supply of loaded ammo and reloading components. Planning ahead.

I bet it won't be long before primers are $80.00 or more per 1K. Smart money says to buy them now.
ED
Yer never too old
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I agree, prices even before this run were higher than in the great primer scare of the 1990s. I feel that every primer I get (or other component) will help somebody down the road even if I never get to shoot them myself. Grandkids? I hope so, but IF they have to go to the "cause" that will be more than fine. I don't have candlesticks or a house bell to be smelted and cast into cannon. I'll just do what I can.
Sincerely,

Hobie

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Modoc ED wrote:It's NOT fear Joe. It's SMART BUYING.

Instead of just buying a three to six months supply of loaded ammo and reloading components like I used to, I'm now buying a three to six year supply of loaded ammo and reloading components. Planning ahead.

I bet it won't be long before primers are $80.00 or more per 1K. Smart money says to buy them now.
Ed,
I agree that purchasing for the future is the wise way to go. But much of the buying we are seeing is I think driven by fear.
Especially when we see folks buying guns they've never considered buying before and yet they don't stock up on ammo.

Hobie,
Agreed in all respects.

I don't have grand kids :cry: , but at this point I am trying to buy as much as our budget will allow. I had a reserve before, I'm just filling in the places where it's deficient.

Joe
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I thought I was getting screwed at $39.90 CDN a couple of weeks ago, does not seem so bad now :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Well people are definitly price gouging. Went by the gunshop today because they said they had an order coming in today. I bought a brick of small rifle and small pistol for $26 a 1000. So if you want to ride this histeria out a little bit, prices will come back down. Because apparently who ever my gunshop is buying their primers from isn't jacking up the prices.
jorgy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jorgy »

I went to a gun show in Minneapolis last weekend. There was a guy there that 2 bricks of large
rifle primers $150.00 each!! Then I went to a reloading shop I go to quite a bit & got 2 bricks
1 large rifle & 1 small rifle benchrest $32.00 apiece. I think the first guy was trying to capitalize on the market.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

jorgy wrote:I went to a gun show in Minneapolis last weekend. There was a guy there that 2 bricks of large
rifle primers $150.00 each!! Then I went to a reloading shop I go to quite a bit & got 2 bricks
1 large rifle & 1 small rifle benchrest $32.00 apiece. I think the first guy was trying to capitalize on the market.
Some folks are simply INSANE.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Hobie wrote:
jorgy wrote:I went to a gun show in Minneapolis last weekend. There was a guy there that 2 bricks of large
And evidently, quite a few people are paying the insane prices.
ED
Yer never too old
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

This is all a lesson in the Law of Supply and Demand, pure and simple. As if anyone needed a lesson.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

From Windigo at the Shiloh Sharps forum:
So I called CCI today, and I asked about primers, after she stop laughing she gave me the story.

They have 12,000,000 CCI BR-2 primers on backorder. Next production date is June.

They have 94,000,000 CCI LR primers on backorder.

Only good news is they produce 1,000,000 a day, working 24 hours.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Modoc ED wrote:
Hobie wrote:
And evidently, quite a few people are paying the insane prices.
Yes, hence my comment. It is the INSANE paying those prices. The seller is simply a good capitalist!
Sincerely,

Hobie

cavemike
Levergunner

Post by cavemike »

just to throw my $.02 in, I bought 3000 Winchester LR primers at the Indy 1500 gun show this past weekend for $35.00 per 1000.

To put this in perspective at the May or June 2008 1500 I paid $120.00 +/- for a case of 5000 WLP.

I guess I'm set for a while, untill I need some primers for the lower I bought.

Mike
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Thank God I am only giving about $26 per 1k for Large Pistol. If it goes that high, I am not sure what I will do to afford reloading. It was refreshing to see the big surge when OBAMA took office and it really sent a message, but now its starting to get painful!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Your gonna make me tick the wife off; I am OFF tomorrow so I think I will make my rounds and go pick up some reloading supplies before prices jump again! :D
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hobie wrote:From Windigo at the Shiloh Sharps forum:
So I called CCI today, and I asked about primers, after she stop laughing she gave me the story.

They have 12,000,000 CCI BR-2 primers on backorder. Next production date is June.

They have 94,000,000 CCI LR primers on backorder.

Only good news is they produce 1,000,000 a day, working 24 hours.
With a back log like that it will be a long time before they get caught up.
We're gonna be stuck with the scalpers and gougers for a while. I think I'm gonna p.o. the wife too and go pick up some more primers. Whatever brand I find.

Joe
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

I went to our local reloading shop yesterday afternoon. I bought a pound of RL15 and a pound of RL22 for $42.50 out the door. I also paid $40 out the door for CCI LR Benchrest primers. Our dealer is a pretty good guy who is not gouging us to death. So I wil continue to support him.

I have seen some believable price "gouging", or the businesses taking advantage of unknowing customers. It is disgraceful what some of these guys do!! Tom.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Bullets, primers and brass will not get cheaper in the future. Look back over the past 20 years and tell me what has got cheaper. Now compare how far a dollar goes, or better still, your paycheck. Plan for the future and buy as much as you can afford now.
I stacked up 8 months ago on bullets, powder and primers. Since then prices have gone up around 50% on primers and 35% on the other components.
Shooting will not be a cheap sport any longer, but then again how much does it cost for a days entertainment such as a ball game, a concert, a charter fishing trip or a round of golf?
At least you can buy your components and put them in the closet for use at a later date.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I recently bought a fairly large amount of reloading supplies from an estate. I offered 18,000 primers that I didn't need to a guy I know for $1.50 per hundred. He kept trying to wiggle the price down even lower. After about 30 minutes of him annoying the heck out of me trying to get them cheaper, I finally told me that if he didn't want them, I'd just list them in the local paper for $2.00 a hundred and see how fast they sold. He shut up and handed over the cash. His greed almost cost him a smoking good deal.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

flatnose wrote:Bullets, primers and brass will not get cheaper in the future. Look back over the past 20 years and tell me what has got cheaper. Now compare how far a dollar goes, or better still, your paycheck. Plan for the future and buy as much as you can afford now.
I stacked up 8 months ago on bullets, powder and primers. Since then prices have gone up around 50% on primers and 35% on the other components.
Shooting will not be a cheap sport any longer, but then again how much does it cost for a days entertainment such as a ball game, a concert, a charter fishing trip or a round of golf?
At least you can buy your components and put them in the closet for use at a later date.
flatnose,

I'm hoping you're wrong on this. As I said above the price increases we are now experiencing is not caused by normal market supply and demand and materials price increases. The biggest cause is hysteria fueled by the current anti gun administration. Granted this has increased the demand beyond what the manufactures can produce, but this hysteria can't and wont last forever. When it dies off there will be a time that demand drops. And during that time the manufacturers will get caught up. So, the prices should drop some.

At least I hope so.

Joe
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I just got back from town about twenty minutes ago. While at my local gun shop, I bought a box of 1000 Winchester Shotgun Primers (209s I think) for $55.75 for the 1000. Now, I don't even reload shotgun shells but I got em anyway just to have on hand in case I do start reloading shotgun shells in the future. Besides, who knows, I might get a black powder gun that uses them for caps one day.

While there, I also got three 1-pound jugs of H4198 for $26.50 each. Not bad.

"Get it when you see it" is my new motto!!!

Oh and Joe, I hate to say it but I gotta agree with what "flatnose" said above, prices aren't going to come down --- ever!!! So heed my new motto and "Get it when you see it"!!!!
ED
Yer never too old
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

It's truly crazy out there. I called Lee Precision this afternoon for a 358 Win case length gauge and was told they have a 6 month backlog, so I'll get my gauge in time for fall season! Real pleasant lady took my phone order. She sounded a little incredulous over the delay too. At least my order is in.
Well done is better than well said.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jayhawker wrote:It's truly crazy out there. I called Lee Precision this afternoon for a 358 Win case length gauge and was told they have a 6 month backlog, so I'll get my gauge in time for fall season! Real pleasant lady took my phone order. She sounded a little incredulous over the delay too. At least my order is in.
If you have a Harbor Freight store near you check out their dial or digital calipers. Those work just fine as case gauges.

Joe
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

just checked Gunbroker for some of the LP primer auctions that closed in the past 24hrs.

people are still paying upwards of $70 plus shipping per 1000.

kind of makes me happy to look at my primer stash.

at least it's good to know my emergency fund portfolio has been expanded.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I think most of this we are all creating ourselves. Paying prices like that! How can you honestly justify reloading? Ammo may not be the most plentiful, but if I watch the shelves I can still pick up more boxes a week than I can afford! With all the surge in primer, bullet and other reloading components ammo prices havent even jumped more than $2.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

horsesoldier03 wrote:I think most of this we are all creating ourselves. Paying prices like that! How can you honestly justify reloading? Ammo may not be the most plentiful, but if I watch the shelves I can still pick up more boxes a week than I can afford! With all the surge in primer, bullet and other reloading components ammo prices havent even jumped more than $2.

The savings offset the start up costs if you are a volume shooter. The money it costs to buy one box of 45/70 loaded ammunition can purchase enough components to load 40 -50 rounds ----- add to that the customizable nature of reloading, for instance, where can you buy wadcutter rounds off the shelf, and off the shelf ammo in 45-70 and .45 LC in particular doesnt even begin to explore the possibilities of those cartridges if you use them for hunting, as they are set up for the oldest possible firearm you could possibly drop them in, not modern Rugers and Marlins

Add to that the ominous fear that these components may be restricted, overtaxed or just not available in time has people panic buying
----- Doug
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I am unaware of any effort by federal or state government to restrict civilian access to loading components.
At the Sportsman's Warehouse where I work, Federal small pistol Gold Medal match primers are $34.99 per 1,000, and various other non-match primers are $27-$30 per 1,000 when we have them.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Bill in Oregon wrote:I am unaware of any effort by federal or state government to restrict civilian access to loading components.
At the Sportsman's Warehouse where I work, Federal small pistol Gold Medal match primers are $34.99 per 1,000, and various other non-match primers are $27-$30 per 1,000 when we have them.

Tell that to the SBR crowd (scary black rifle). i haven't seen a small rifle primer in a couple of months
----- Doug
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Bill in Oregon wrote:I am unaware of any effort by federal or state government to restrict civilian access to loading components.

Non has yet been enacted, but there are MANY attempts to do so. The so called "ammunition accountability" folks are doing their best to push for laws so that their serial numbering of projectile technology will be foisted on us.

http://www.ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm

The obvious solution to the problem of criminal misuse of firearms is to punish those who do the wrong. But it's SO MUCH EASIER to go after the law abiding. Whip Johnny who's been good 'cause you can catch up with Freddy - and Freddy will fight back too... that's the usual response these days, punish the lawabiding instead of the criminals. And if they CAN push through this idiocy then they'll have a real monopoly on ammo. Even at only a penny a round just think how much money there is to be made with only Law Enforcement and Military sales!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Paul: I certainly agree that some nuts in Congress and some even nuttier nuts in the private sector lay awake at night trying to think of ways of depriving decent people of their rights -- and especially their rights concerning firearms and ammunition. But I am still unaware of any recent legislative process completed or any administrative rule by the federal government that could possibly have caused the current ammo/component shortage.
I see shoppers cruise through the store where I work looking for any ammo to buy that strikes their fancy, even if they have no firearm to use it in. These people are simply hoarding -- some out of fear, some out of hope of profiteering, some out of a sense of greed. I think the .22 shortage resulted when so many saw how quickly the common pistol ammunition dried up. I predict that if the .22, pistol and .223/7.62X39 shortages don't end soon, we will start seeing runs on shotgun ammunition which at this time is abundant.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

HERE IN CONN. AROUND $35.00/1000
Rumble.com/ hickock45