The real Indiana Jones

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

The real Indiana Jones

Post by Naphtali »

As I became more annoyed with "Adventurer's" threads at the Fedora Lounge, I decided to create yet another while inserting a smidgen of history. Here is the man whose name everyone recognizes, whose face few recognize.

Who is whom? Image 1931 Image
At his headquarters in Peking - 1925 Image 1928 Central Asiatic Expedition gets under way Image
In the Gobi Desert Image
With Merin in the Gobi Image Route finding in the Gobi Image
Getting around in the Gobi Image
Successful Gobi antelope hunt Image Surveying the desert Image
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Re: The real Indiana Jones

Post by Naphtali »

Part II

1923 First dinosaur eggs discovered Image At the Flaming Cliffs Image
Still with Olsen at the Flaming Cliffs - 1925 Image
Excavating with Granger Image
Feeding his eagle chicks Image Relaxing in night camp Image

Roy Chapman Andrews, the real Indiana Jones. Image

Note: For those who might be interested, Andrews wore a Colt Official Police (41 frame) chambered for 38 Special. His preferred rifles were Savage Model 99 in 250-3000 and Mannlicher-Shoenauer in 6.5 x 54 mm Mannlicher. And while his body count was not as high as Indiana Jones', there was a body count in the Gobi. North-central China and Mongolia were dangerous places during the 1920s.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I know him only from the Gun Digest of 2005 or 6, otherwise I would have never have known about him. Great article on this fella and his firearms.
Timothy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Timothy »

Every time I read up on a man like like I get both inspired and discouraged. Inspired because their lives are full of stories, discouraged because any one of those stories is more exiting than anything I've ever done. I dont think life today has the same potential in some ways as the times of the past. I wonder what the future might bring however because I know a lot of men feel the same way.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

C. Cash wrote:I know him only from the Gun Digest of 2005 or 6, otherwise I would have never have known about him. Great article on this fella and his firearms.
+1 - one of my gun digests. Quite a guy.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

One of his books, "This Business Of Exploring" has been in our mountain cabin since the late 1920s. I have read it several times and still marvel at his adventures. There is NO doubt that he is the original Indiana Jones. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Timothy wrote:Every time I read up on a man like like I get both inspired and discouraged. Inspired because their lives are full of stories, discouraged because any one of those stories is more exiting than anything I've ever done. I dont think life today has the same potential in some ways as the times of the past. I wonder what the future might bring however because I know a lot of men feel the same way.
Nonsense...... :wink: Besides, I don't think your allowed to get much of a body account while exploring these days..... Take a deep sea diving class......find a place that will let you hunt pigs with a knife and spear.....spend a week in Africa with a camera taking pics of DG from 20 or 30 feet.....ride a scoot around America.......Date my ex wife :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

I read one of his books back in elementary school. I remember being fascinated by it. Wish I could find it again.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

Well there gos the myth about him and the S&W 1917 (in .45acp)the pistol in his houlster does have the same frame though!

Bob :(
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

BlaineG wrote: .......Date my ex wife
Darn it Blaine -- you owe me a keyboard!!! :shock:

Guess I can always slurp all the Jack Daniel's out of it................... :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

bobbyjack wrote:Well there gos the myth about him and the S&W 1917 (in .45acp)the pistol in his houlster does have the same frame though!

Bob :(
While nowadays few people use Colt double-action revolvers regularly, until perhaps after World War II, Smith & Wesson swing-out double-actions were nowhere near as popular as Colts. Possibly this trend began when S&W nearly abandoned the commercial US market in the last third of the nineteenth century to fill Russian government contracts.

While I don't believe that S&Ws were scarce, people going to the movies in the 20s, 30s, and 40s saw the good guys and the gangsters using Colt's revolvers. I don't think I've viewed a Warner Brothers movie of that era where anyone used a Smith.

The Official Police is closer in size to "L" frame than "N" frame. It is a Python under the hood. Colt's New Service was the "N" frame's counterpart.
One thing that puzzles me is the way members of the Central Asiatic Expeditions wore cartridge belts rather than, for example, McKeever Cartridge boxes and open top holsters rather than full flap. Everything I've read of Andrews' expeditions shows dust and storms and severe weather occurring frequently. One would think the cartridges would become filthy and the revolvers jammed with crud. Apparently, these obvious issues weren't. And I cannot figure out why they weren't.
AJMBLAZER
Levergunner

Post by AJMBLAZER »

Interesting stuff. Times are different.

Of course back then China still had regional warlords and not much for local government presence.
Have guns. Want a levergun soon.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

AJMBLAZER wrote:Interesting stuff. Times are different.

Of course back then China still had regional warlords and not much for local government presence.
I'd bet they're not really that much different. Just different names for the warlords.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote:
Timothy wrote:Every time I read up on a man like like I get both inspired and discouraged. Inspired because their lives are full of stories, discouraged because any one of those stories is more exiting than anything I've ever done. I dont think life today has the same potential in some ways as the times of the past. I wonder what the future might bring however because I know a lot of men feel the same way.
Nonsense...... :wink: Besides, I don't think your allowed to get much of a body account while exploring these days..... Take a deep sea diving class......find a place that will let you hunt pigs with a knife and spear.....spend a week in Africa with a camera taking pics of DG from 20 or 30 feet.....ride a scoot around America.......Date my ex wife :mrgreen:
Tubby, it all sounded like good ideas until the last. You're a cruel man. How could you suggest that to anyone? :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMBLAZER
Levergunner

Post by AJMBLAZER »

JustaJeepGuy wrote: I'd bet they're not really that much different. Just different names for the warlords.
If they crack down on pacifist religious monks and people with different political ideas then somehow I doubt they would tolerate warlords in the old sense. Crime bosses maybe.
Have guns. Want a levergun soon.