Rear Sight Identification

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DonW1
Levergunner

Rear Sight Identification

Post by DonW1 »

The Savage guys say its not Savage and the Marlin guys say its not Marlin.
Anyone know if this is a Winchester sight? 3 1/8" from the upright to the forward point. (Its mounted on a sporterized military rifle.) Appreciate your input. Don

Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

Not Winchester either.

A Winchester Collector
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Looks very similar to the early Winchester "long" sight, but... could also be a Marbles or, more likely, Lyman. I can't quite make out that mark on the right side where the dovetail is. Can't say for certain, but can't rule any of those 3 out. Any mrkings on the elevator or underside?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
DonW1
Levergunner

Post by DonW1 »

Well looks like I'm in wonderland as this is getting curiouser and curiouser.

Griff, the "mark" is a rivet that holds the top plate of the sight to the dovetail base. Look close and you will see a round mark on the left side as well.

Here's where it gets weird: no markings at all on the visible sight surfaces, so I drifted the sight off the barrel. There is a 620 stamped on the bottom of the sight dovetail. Coincidentally, that is the last three digits of the serial number. Dovetail looked wide too, so I measured it: .440. A std 3/8 is .375. I'm not a sight expert but don't recall any std US sight being that wide.

I had looked in Stroebels for the sight and there were some kinda like it, but not the same. Also, some his prints in the book are not clear enough to make a positive ID.

My only guess now is that the sight was made when the rifle was converted. The sight is nicely shaped and finished, top and bottom. Neat looking semi-buckhorn sight though.

So it looks like another unanswered question surrounding the "goofy deer" Mosins that were done in Japan. Long story and way off-topic here. I thought the gunsmith/artisan had used an off-the-shelf sight. Thanks for your interest Gents. Don