OT - Mauser rear sight re-do question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

OT - Mauser rear sight re-do question

Post by AJMD429 »

I am trying to get peeps on my Springfield and Mauser, and I've procrastinated on finishing the 1903, but got the Williams FP on my 98 Mauser (.308) and even got a higher front blade which I hadn't suspected I'd need, but did need to be on the bullseye at 100 yards with milspec ball ammo. So far, so good... 8)

Now what to do with those 'ears' from the old rear sight remnants. :?: The gun is most definitely not an 'historic' piece, as it has been rebarreled, and is a 'shooter' with more dings and scratches than even I will ever manage to put on it, so I'm not picky about appearances. I don't like 'permanent' alterations, but I really can't imagine ever wanting to reinstall the old 'factory' sights.

Is this part with the ears soldered on most likely (it looks like it to my untrained eye)? If so, is it something I can un-solder with a propane torch without softening the barrel and creating a gun that will either shoot around corners, or blow up? I really don't mind getting out the cutter/grinder and dealing with it that way, but somehow those 'ears' gotta go...

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Str8man
Levergunner 1.0

Re: OT - Mauser rear sight re-do question

Post by Str8man »

Most of those are soldered and have a set screw besides.
Occasionally you will find one that will tap loose without heating but the odds are that it is soldered on.
You may also consider just grinding and filing those ears off. That sight base also holds your upper forearm in place and you may want to keep that.
I'd like to thank President B.O. and Ms Pelosi.........
I'm using My stimulus check to stimulate the gun industry!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Remove the set screw that's probably there. Heat the area with a propane torch until the solder liquifies -- you'll see a dribble run out. Use a wooden mallet or short length of 2x4 to whack on it, and the whole sleeve, ears and all, will slide off easy as you please.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What Pisgah said +1 :D
Abilene
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Abilene »

Polish to match the rest of the barrel and cold blue and you're good to go. Abilene