old photo 18th infantry Co A

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

old photo 18th infantry Co A

Post by coyote nose »

Picked this up at a flea market somewhere.
Using scanner software I got rid of the yellowing. I am posting both versions here.
Their caps have the crossed rifles an 18 and a letter A on them so i assume that means 18th infantry, Company A. NO IDEA when the photo was taken. How do i go about finding out the history of this? Where was 18th infantry stationed? Love to know the story behind this. Who are the guys and who is the lady???? Civil war era? Indian war era? Spanish American war era? WW1 era??? No clue.
Thought people here would like to see this.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: old photo 18th infantry Co A

Post by J Miller »

I can't answer about the infantry Co, but the pic was most likely taken at the turn of the century.
The uniforms are like those that I've seen in photos of military taken around then to the WW I period. But the woman's dress is late 1800s to very early 1900s.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The 18th rings a bell as a Leavenworth, KS unit but I could be wrong (very easily). And I was partially wrong...
About June 1, 1885, the regiment, under command of Lieut.-Col. J. J. Coppinger, left Montana, and proceeded to the Department of the Missouri. The Headquarters, Staff, Band and Companies E and F, were assigned to station at Fort Leavenworth; Companies A, B and D, at Fort Hayes; C and I, at Fort Gibson; and G, H and K, at Fort Reno. Colonel Ruger assumed command of the regiment, post of Fort Leavenworth, and the U. S. Infantry and Cavalry School, June 29, 1885.

On the 19th of March, 1866, Colonel Ruger was appointed a Brigadier-General, U. S. Army, and was succeeded in the command of the regiment by Colonel John. E. Yard. In May, 1886, the Headquarters, Staff and Band were transferred to Fort Hayes, Kansas.

Colonel Yard died at Fort Hayes on the 17th of February, 1889, and was succeeded by Colonel Henry M. Lazelle, who joined in October of that year.

During the month of April, 1889, Companies F, G and K were ordered from their respective stations for field service in Oklahoma.

In October, 1889, Headquarters, Staff, Band and Companies A, B, C, E, G, H and K left their respective stations and proceeded to the Camp of Instruction, Camp Schofield, I. T., for instruction in field duties, etc.

The 18th Infantry having been relieved from duty in the Department of the Missouri, and assigned to duty in the Department of Texas, with station at Fort Clark, the Headquarters, Staff, Band and Companies A, B, C, E, G, H, I and K, under command of Major G. K. Brady, left Camp Schofield after the conclusion of the field exercises, and proceeded thither. Company D from Fort Hayes, and Company F from Fort Lyon, arrived at Fort Clark in November, 1889.

In pursuance of G. O. 76, A. G. O., 1890, Companies I and K were skeletonized, the enlisted men being transferred to other companies.

The entire regiment is now serving at Fort Clark, Texas.
There's more info if you follow the link.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I can't help but wonder if those guys eventually participated in that 1898 thing with Teddy in Cuba. jd45
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

jd45 wrote:I can't help but wonder if those guys eventually participated in that 1898 thing with Teddy in Cuba. jd45
Uniforms look the right time period.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Thanks for the link Hobie. I see the 18th participated in the fetterman fight. Interesting. Visited that site in Wyoming about 10 years ago.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958