OT: Speaking of 357 Maximum.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

OT: Speaking of 357 Maximum.....

Post by Mainehunter »

With recent posts on the cartridge, you guys re-lit the fire for the urge on getting one. I stopped by from work at my local gun shop yesterday checking out prices on powders and there it was in the used gun rack an H&R 357 Maximum topped of with a Bushnell 1.5-4X variable scope it's been sitting there for about a year collecting dust. Just about every time I go there I pick it up, check it out and put it back saying to myself I really don't need it. Well for about a month now I haven't touched it until yesterday. I noticed it was moved to a different location on the rack and I checked the tag out. To my surprise, not only the price was lower but it came with a 20 gauge barrel which I never knew it had one. After giving the shop owner a hard time (I know him well) I laid the cash down and took her home. The real reason of not getting it sooner was I have been hearing rumors and I'm hoping it's just rumors for about a year or so that Remington will stop making the brass. I just can't think of any other cartridge that can be converted to the 357 Maximum, is there :?:

Mainehunter :wink:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: OT: Speaking of 357 Maximum.....

Post by Sixgun »

Simply put, do not wait until you "hear" Remington (or any other co.) is going to stop making brass----go out and buy enough to keep you supplied until hell freezes over. :wink: Brass is CHEAP compared to the price of the gun. If you sell the gun, its a helpful selling advantage to have rare/scarce brass to go along with the sale. :wink:

Keep in mind, I have seen many changes in the ammo world (since the late sixties) and I no longer wait to buy anything if I see a future need for it. Last night I bought 30 thousand primers. :D :D

You done good on the .357 Max. Neat cartridge, especially with 180 gr. jacketed bullets. My 10" Ruger shoots like a rifle. You can always load cheap cast bullets or jacketed pistol bullets at any velocity that may suit your needs at greatly reduced cost for an afternoon of fun.---------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I LOVE my .357 Max. If I had to I could use that rifle for nearly anything. The shotgun barrel really makes that a neat set-up. I've got a 28 ga. to go along with mine.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Hobie... Thanks for the link and excellent write up on that 357 Maximum of yours. Looks like you did quite of bit of load development. :) I'm hoping soon I could start making some loads. I shoot mostly cast bullets especially for hunting.

Mainehunter :wink: