To Sling Or Not To Sling?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

To Sling Or Not To Sling?

Post by cshold »

I have the B-92 in a state of disassembly for stock refinishing.
This would be the time to decide if I want to install a sling :idea:
What are the pro’s and con’s of a sling :?:
What would you guys do :?:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: To Sling Or Not To Sling?

Post by AJMD429 »

If I'm going to use the gun (i.e. it isn't a Safe Queen) I'll be wanting to carry other things while using it, and perhaps use the sling to hang it on a branch instead of lean it in the mud against a tree, so I sling them all.

I don't think a well-installed sling swivel stud hurts a gun at all, barrel/magazine band or stock mounted - take your pick.

You can do various 'loop around the gun' slings though without the stud; I'm sure some will post pics of theirs - some are VERY nice setups, but I just do the swivel stud.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I absolutely love Junior's sling.

http://www.castbullet.com/srsling.htm

I'm trying to figure out how to install a saddle ring on my new BLR without drilling and tapping.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

my .357 has a sling with quick release swivels so it is able to change to having one or not. Steve installed the sling swivels. When acting as my truck gun, no sling. When going to and from a stand - sling installed. House gun - no sling. most often i have no sling attached (i like the way it feels in my hands) but when I want one, I want one. Especially on those really cold days.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

If it's going to be a house or range gun only, then I wouldn't bother with one. I do think any hunting rifle needs a sling.

There are several ways to attach one without putting holes in the stock and I'm sure the links above show one of these.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

If I am going to do any hunting with a gun I install the studs and use a sling with quick release swivels. A sling is a must for me if I am hunting :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

all my hunting long arms have slings. try shooting with and with out one to see for yourself. for me in a hunting situation the sling is just as important as the sights.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I have sling swivel studs on all my centerfire rifles and usually put a sling on any rifle I'm in the field with. A sling can come in handy for other things other that carrying a rifle. I used one once to drag a deer when I discovered that I'd left my drag rope in camp and once I ran across a couple of hunters one of which had broken his leg. His hunting buddy and I used our slings to tie a splint to his leg.
ED
Yer never too old
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Look at it this way. Install studs for sling swivels. That way you can use on or not depending on the situation. As to the sling itself, contact Levergun Leatherworks.

http://www.levergunleather.com/index.htm
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have one sling for all my guns, and I take it on and off every day, sometimes during the hike. I don't really like it but there are times, when climbing, and long road walks, that it's nice to sling.

I would like a retractable sling that gets sucked up into the stock when not in use.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

El Chivo wrote:I would like a retractable sling that gets sucked up into the stock when not in use.
You'd probably need a synthetic stock, but that would at least justify having a hollow piece of plastic vs. real wood...!
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've only got one lever with a sling; my 336. All the others are too old to drill holes in, so I use a slip on sling when hunting with them. It goes on when I head into the hills, and once I begin a stalk, or stop to glass an area, I remove the sling and carry the gun. I prefer this method myself, as it gives me the option without the holes.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

I lost the biggest buck I've ever had a chance to shoot, due to having my Win. 94 slung over my shoulder while walking
back to camp. I was looking for a new way to cross a deep gully, and as I walked down a power-line and came within
20 yards of the edge of the gully, making no effort to be quiet, all of a sudden I heard a huge body scrambling to its feet to my left. Everything seemed to go into slow motion... Out jumped Bullwinkle, into the left edge of the power line cut. I flipped the rifle around and brought it up to my shoulder... BOINK!! Bullwinkle takes another bound into the center of the power-line... Front sight was on shoulder JUST as he flashed out of view into the woods on the other side. If I'd had my rifle in my hand that day, he'd be on my wall today (and have made a bunch of tasty meals, to boot!)

Since then, I always have a light, compact nylon sling with QD sling swivels in my pocket for climbing, use when dragging a deer, etc., but it's not on the gun when I'm traveling through the woods or otherwise hunting... It works great for what I need it to do and only weighs a couple of ounces. Takes up practically no space, rolled up.

If you are going to use the sling very much, I greatly prefer leather as it doesn't slip off the shoulder nearly as much as nylon/synthetics.

Hope this helps,
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

On a tube magazine lever gun I would not install a sling as a general rule. My old Marlin Golden 39=A came with sling swivels installed, as did my BLR. I have slings on those rifles, but not my other lever guns.

One thing I like about an unscoped traditional lever gun is the simple fact that if I need both hands to carry something, I can simply stick it through my belt and I can carry it cross draw. Can't do that if you have a sling on it.

If you do decide on slinging, use a real shooting sling, not a dadblasted padded, tooled carry strap. A good shooting sling can help with your off-hand shooting. That silly arsed padded carry strap with the gaudy deer head stamped on it will just get tangled in the brush and not help your shooting.

Doc
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I just do not like slings, never found one that stays on my shoulder. When I am hiking in to my stand in the dark or just headed out of the field. I use a scabbard type pack that allows me to reach up and grab it if I do need the rifle. It is a fanny pack with shoulder straps that holds the scabbard very close to my back with the muzzle down, stock up. When I am in hunting mode, the rifle is in my hands ready to use or in the scabbard allowing both hands free to use the binos or to hold on to trees while walking up or down hill. So my vote is don't sling it!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Sling it. It makes for easier carrying, a stable way to shoot freehand, and you can attach accessories to the studs if you want.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Well, then - looks like we're all in agreement, right...? :lol: :lol: :lol: