outdoor wood heater

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

outdoor wood heater

Post by mescalero1 »

AJMD429,
Check out a website Bradley outdoor wood heater.
See if it takes you as long to figure out how it heats the whole house as opposed to localized heating where the duct enters the house. As it did me.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: outdoor wood heater

Post by Grizz »

I heated a house in Alaska for about thirty years with firewood. I can't imagine moving cord wood to an unsheltered area open to snow and rain. Just wouldn't work out too well where I lived. The heater could be in an attached woodshed. It has the benefit of keeping the dirt, snow, ice, and spiders out of the house, but I don't think it's such a great idea the way it's pictured. It's hard enough having to shovel out logs to create firewood. Having to shovel out the woodstove would be adding insult to injury.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Such are used a lot around here.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Two thirds of my neighbors have outdoor woodburners. But they are boilers. This looks like it pumps hot air. Half of them build a roof over their burners large enough to store firewood under it also.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I kept going back to the site, trying to figure it out, nothing on the site helped ... it finally dawned on me by accident.
And I understand airflow!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Hobie,
Have you spoken with any of the users about it?
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

mescalero1 wrote:AJMD429,
Check out a website Bradley outdoor wood heater.
See if it takes you as long to figure out how it heats the whole house as opposed to localized heating where the duct enters the house. As it did me.
A friend of ours in PA sells wood boilers that they use to heat their new home,they built their new home & had a local company pour the pad with built in coated aluminum tubing thru which they pump hot water that heats the basement floor & radiates upward heating their home.It was great getting up & putting our feet on the comfortably warm comcrete floor in the morning when outside temps were 5 deg.Our friends are hardwood loggers,have their own sawmill & finish mill so slab wood is readily available.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Mescalero
If you put a large wood stove in your home and put in a outside air pipe for the stove it will pressurize the house,you can accomplish the same results, the only benefit to a outside furnace would be size to hold a rick of wood for a longer burn time. I know several people that have a large furnace in the basement with a firewood chute to feed it from the wood shed or garage and a cold air exhaust system. Those outside furnace burners add extra work in snow country. danny
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Danny,
You might be pleased to know I ordered the mill, should be in New Mexico in two weeks.
Also picked up a 1977 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup, 4x4 from an auction; it was obviously the supervisors truck, all the mirrors are still there, no dents Tailgate is not scratched, nothing.
It was a supervisors truck , only driven to the coffe shop & Burger King.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

You'll like that mill, what size saw did you get for a power head. Keep the chain sharp it will keep it from wandering when you make the cut.That truck will come in handy for getting firewood and such. danny
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Husqvarna, need the power
That truck will have the right stuff.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The neighbors with the outside burners also heat a workshop with them also. They cut firewood all year long to keep it feed . It is a little overkill for just heating a house. I have a freestanding woodstove that I heat my house with. I can cut enough firewood in a few weekends to last all winter. That's not the case with the outside wood burners they eat alot of wood. My nextdoor neightbor put one in a few years ago and told me how his 60 acres of woods would have plenty of deadwood to last him a while . Well after the first winter he was buying semi loads of wood because his 60 acres was cleaned out.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I will re-visit the site, don't recall consumption being discussed.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like the airflow-vs-liquid systems because less to go wrong and easier to fix for an amateur like me - our system just used a scavanged window fan for a couple years, because when I asked the local building supply stores for a low-speed, high-ambient-temperature (the furnace room is a jacket and stays 140 to 160 degrees) dust-proof motor, they said "they don't make them" - I then asked about a "furnace fan" and they said the same thing.

I commented that it was pretty cool how Carrier and all those manufacturers could make furnaces without fans, and then while sitting in the warehouse the fans just 'appeared' in the units - since "they don't make them". :lol:

Finally a friend hooked me up with Grainger supply, and whaddya know - they DO make them...

If we ever do a major re-do of the house, I would do the 'outside' thing sort of - I'd do a garage/workshop attached by a breezeway and run the airflow ducts through there.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

mescalero1 wrote:Hobie,
Have you spoken with any of the users about it?
Well, I don't know exactly which system is being used but the 3 or 4 I know who use it like it. No smoke or ashes in the house, the chimney (and possibility of fire from that source) are away from the house), they don't have to haul wood through the house, and it works.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

the hot air can't heat the structure, it only heats the air. the thing I love about wood fire is the radiant heat. the wood stove in my Alaska living room heats the entire two floors of the house STRUCTURALLY. If the fire goes out and the oil heater starts heating the air it takes about 24 hours for the house to return to it's unheated ambient condition.

nothing beats a hot stove on a cold cold miserable day. standing in front of a hot air vent isn't the same thing. it's like having some sunshine in the middle of the house; and really, isn't a wood fire a way of putting sunshine in the middle of the house?

I thought about the exterior fire a lot when I heated with wood, and there are some advantages, but I like having the fire inside... and the oil furnace never had that same feeling of well-being the hearth has. but I guess that's a me thing.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Grizz wrote:the hot air can't heat the structure, it only heats the air. the thing I love about wood fire is the radiant heat. the wood stove in my Alaska living room heats the entire two floors of the house STRUCTURALLY. If the fire goes out and the oil heater starts heating the air it takes about 24 hours for the house to return to it's unheated ambient condition.

nothing beats a hot stove on a cold cold miserable day. standing in front of a hot air vent isn't the same thing. it's like having some sunshine in the middle of the house; and really, isn't a wood fire a way of putting sunshine in the middle of the house?

I thought about the exterior fire a lot when I heated with wood, and there are some advantages, but I like having the fire inside... and the oil furnace never had that same feeling of well-being the hearth has. but I guess that's a me thing.
I'm with you on this. That radiant heat makes the work worthwhile! It DOES feel different!
Sincerely,

Hobie