I passed on a pre-64 model 94 today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

I passed on a pre-64 model 94 today

Post by pharmseller »

I guy who lives near me had a pre-64 (1952, serial 1,910,000 range) Winchester model 94 30-30 in the local newspaper. I posted about it on the other forum.
I looked at it today and it seemed in good shape except for a patch of surface rust near the serial number. The barrel was not clean so the accumulated dirt could have been pitting. I couldn't tell without a bore snake and I'm not gonna do that to someone else's firearm.
He was firm on $475 and that was too much for me. I have a good shooter I picked up for $235 but I was hoping for a deal. I had $400 in twenties in my pocket but he is holding out for full price. I hope he gets it.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I had $400 in twenties in my pocket ]

I'm curious, but didja actually show him the $400, or didja just make a verbal offer ?

I'm askin' because, IMHO, money talks & B.S. walks.

I use to lose the occasional "deal" because I didn't taunt the seller with a visual tug of cash money on the barrelhead.

Of course, there's always the seller who's either adamant or value ignorant - and those I just walk away from.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I gotta agree with "Pete44ru" on this one. Always show em the money.

Sometimes when I go to a gun show or a gun shop, etc., I will put a certain amount in one pocket and a few dollars more in a couple of pockets so as not to show how much I have on my initial offer BUT I've found that by offering less money than what a guy wants and having money in hand, works 90% of the time.

Hell, contact the guy again and see if he'll let you run a bore snake through it. $475.00 is not out of line and in fact is a pretty fair price now-a-days.
ED
Yer never too old
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Money does speak louder than words!

:D
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Like modoc Ed I did that exact thing at the Reno show several years ago. I ended up with a beautiful 1886 45/70 by showing a seller my wad of bills short $150.00 of his price of $1400.00. This was on the first (Friday) day.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I flashed the cash, he held to $475.
My walk-away was $400. This was more of an impulse buy than anything else so I'm okay.
I can buy more reloading components now!

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I think You did the right thing to walk away. If the seller is too stupid or lazy to clean up a gun that he wants $500.00 for I wouldn't want to gamble on it. All things considered He could have met You halfway on the price.Jim.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

pharmseller wrote:I flashed the cash, he held to $475.
My walk-away was $400. This was more of an impulse buy than anything else so I'm okay.
I can buy more reloading components now!

Quinn
That's the spirit! I've stopped sweating the ones that get away. I figure it is meant to be, it will be. I've had a few occasions when one got away, and a better deal showed up a week later. Had I jumped on the first, I wouldn't have been able to take advantage of the second.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Ya know .45 Colt, I think you're right on the money. How much effort would it have taken for him to give the bore a good scrubbing, unless, by doing so he'd've revealed some serious pitting, which may or may not, have had any effect on accuracy. My bro's got an old .303 Brit Enfield with a pitted bore & it shoots good, in spite of that. jd45
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I figure you always have to be willing to walk away. Now and then, you have to prove to yourself that you are willing to say, "Thanks, but no thanks, but thanks just the same."
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Good on you, Quinn ! Now he can sing for his supper ! :lol: :wink:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

A gun from that era should have no pitting (in the barrel) Like the other boys said, you did right. There's a truckload of those guns out there for that kind of money. Sometimes it helps that after he refuses your offer, leave him your contact info. You will probably get a call.-------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Freightman
Levergunner

Post by Freightman »

The dirty bore thing is a cover-up as I picked up a 1898 Krag at a gunshow and didn't ask the man to clean the bore. It has the worst bore I have ever seen he thinks he got me but in actual money I only have $100 in it and it hasn't been screwed with.
I will never again pick up and buy a rifle that has been as abused as this one because I think that if a man wants to sell something he should clean it up unless he is hiding something.
Freightman