.45 cal vaquero

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

.45 cal vaquero

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

I know this is not a levergun question, but I just purchased a stainless steel .45 cal New Vaquero six shooter from ruger and It looks tough enough to handle more then soft cowboy loads. What would be the limit on this gun as far as (high energy ammo) if only fired in this revolver for self-defense etc.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .45 cal vaquero

Post by Pete44ru »

The New Vaquero has a smaller cylinder frame - the same size as the original Ruger .357 Flat Top & Colt SAA - which cannot safely take the same loads that the larger-framed Vaquero and/or Blackhawk can/do.

Ruger recommends loads no stronger than those approved for the SAA - which are plenty strong enough for personal defense.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Tennessee Hayre wrote:I know this is not a levergun question, but I just purchased a stainless steel .45 cal New Vaquero six shooter from ruger and It looks tough enough to handle more then soft cowboy loads. What would be the limit on this gun as far as (high energy ammo) if only fired in this revolver for self-defense etc.
The New Vaquero is a Colt sized gun. They don't have the metal in the frame and cylinder the full sized Vaqueros do, so they can't handle the heavy +P loads. BUT - they are not fragile or week by any means.
Consider them to be capable of handling any of the upper end normal Colt loads. Now, those loads will commonly crank out about 20K PSI. No big deal. Every revolver or model of revolver that has been made since the early 1900s has been chambered for the .45 ACP or had an axillary cylinder for one. If the gun will handle the pressures of a .45 ACP ( 21K PSI ) So will the .45 Colt cylinder.

So although I wouldn't feed one a steady diet of these upper end loads I wouldn't worry about them either.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

That gun will handle heavier loads than what you want to shoot much of out of it :!: There's precious little difference in outside cylinder wall thickness between my New Vaquero, and my worn out ol blackhawk.
The nv will handle loads that'll make a 255 hop out the end of the barrel with its hair on fire at about 1000 fps and thats a plenty anyways. Need more speed out of the bullet shoulda brought a rifle. :D
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Thanks guy's. I have been using the 225 grain silver tips in my Uberti Colt 45 clone so I guess I'll just keep using that same ammo for the Vaquero. The silver tip is a round to be reckened with I think.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Tennessee Hayre wrote:Thanks guy's. I have been using the 225 grain silver tips in my Uberti Colt 45 clone so I guess I'll just keep using that same ammo for the Vaquero. The silver tip is a round to be reckened with I think.
I've shot a lot of those myself. Nice, mild, accurate load.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Several months ago, I posted a picture of the NV that a friend of mine blew up. If you remember the story, the guy loaded by accident double red-line and it held together for the first 2 rounds. Unfortunately, the ruger did come apart not due to the gun but the nut behind it. For it to hold together as long as it did is still a triumph for the weapon in my opinion. That doesn't mean that its OK to load up to the max though.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

I use CCI Blazer 200gr JHP ammo in my 4 5/8 New Vaq for CCW carry. 8)
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

I need some edumacation "What is double red line"?

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

This is my new found love. I have been holding it all day now that I have put the new grips on it. Image

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's a fine looking six-shooter! Certainly deserved of some fondling. :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Got that right!!!!!!!

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nice wheelgun 8) !Who made the grips?
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

I got them on e bay from Sidney L. Ryan. He also has a store on Auctiva.com.

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nice workmanship! Would like to find White Micarta grips for my Blued Coloredcased 4 5/8 New Vaq 8)
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Check out Sids site. He has at least 100 + grips to pick from. He makes all of his products I believe.But keep in mind everything is plastic. Looks and feels real though. his site address is...( www.auctiva.com/viewstore2.aspx?... )

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Neat.http://sidryan2.com/he does engraving also 8) .
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Ya, and he has a good rep on getting the job done as well. I got his name from the local gun store where I purchased the revolver. I got my grips in only 3 days. I plan to order another set for my satin stainless super blackhawk .44 mag . I just love his work.

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Tennessee Hayre wrote:I need some edumacation "What is double red line"?
Sorry I hadn't got back to you sooner but double re-line is when your loading twice the safe maximum of a particular powder for a particular caliber. For instance, in this one, the friend told me that he thought he was loading 11grns of a particular powder but instead loaded 21 grns. I think it was Unique but I am not sure.

Here is what it did.

The rest of it was never found. I still have this weapon as it could not be repaired and I hang it over the reloading bench sort of as a reminder and a conversation peice.
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Dang""" Hey maybe you could sell that revolver to one of those "gun buy back programs"

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Even the base pin was lost? Makes me glad all my loading mistakes have been no-powder-charge mistakes!
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Don McDowell wrote:That gun will handle heavier loads than what you want to shoot much of out of it :!: There's precious little difference in outside cylinder wall thickness between my New Vaquero, and my worn out ol blackhawk.
The nv will handle loads that'll make a 255 hop out the end of the barrel with its hair on fire at about 1000 fps and thats a plenty anyways. Need more speed out of the bullet shoulda brought a rifle. :D
It ain't the OUTSIDE walls you have to be careful of, but the thickness of the metal BETWEEN the chambers... THAT is where the stretch begins, and where the failure starts.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'm gonna stick my snoot in here one more time. Here is a couple pictures of the size difference between the .45 Colt cylinders from my Ruger Blackhawk and my Uberti Cattleman. The Uberti Cattleman is the same size as the New Vaquero.
Uberti_Ruger cylinders.JPG
Uberti _Ruger cylinders 2.JPG
As you can see in these so-so pics there is a considerable size difference between both the length, diameter and thickness of these two cylinders.
A 1000 fps is a heavy top end .45 Colt load for Colt sized revolvers. I don't think it prudent to push them harder.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

I purchased a box of .45 Cal ammo from Buffalo Bore the 255 grain for self-defense only, so is that a problem in your mind for the New Ruger Vaquero.

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Never paid any attention to the Buffalo Bore ammo,as I can reload alot of ammo for what one box of the stuff costs.
For 130 years the 250-255 gr loads offered by the factory (not the CAS stuff) have kept the grand old cartridge humming along, and have been praised against critters big and small.
bee-weg
Levergunner

Post by bee-weg »

If those Buffalo Bore are the Standard Pressure 255 gr at 1000 fps, they should be just fine. I have shot those out of my NV. On the website, it says any post-war 45 colt firearm that is in good working condition can handle that load.
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

The new vaquero is design for STANDARD 45lc loads NOT any +P or ruger only loads . The cylinders in pic are Vaquero's not the NV . The 44-40 and 45lc at web are the same size and the gun blows up at the cyl lock cutout which is the weak point of a 6 shot , in 5 shot the cutout moved between the cyl and handle higher psi .. The NV is thinner yet then the one in pic so don't roll the dice with them ...

Image..Image
Image......Image
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

I will probley shoot the easy stuff in the Uberti, and load alittle hot with the Ruger. Its good to have the heavy stuff on hand to load for self-defense. I would never use +P in either of them.

Retired Military
Life Member NRA