Marlin .44mag and cast boolits

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mitch1352
Levergunner

Marlin .44mag and cast boolits

Post by Mitch1352 »

I tried the search function, but no joy. I want/need another lever and want a Marlin. I will be loading and shooting mostly cast bullets, with a few jacketed ones for hunting. Do I want a Micro Groove barrel or another Cowboy (I have one already)? Barrel length doesn't matter much cuz I think I will make this one a carbine.
Also, if anyone feels like helping a dumb mass, leave some instructions for me on how to best use the search function. I iz kinda computer stupid. Thanks.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Marlin .44mag and cast boolits

Post by AJMD429 »

There have been lots of posts on this - sometimes the 'search' function doesn't find stuff though (especially if it is a 'caliber' or has a hyphen).

Most of the posts seem to run along the lines of individual guns varying more than the type of rifling, even though the theory is micro-groove won't work as well with cast. No doubt it depends on how hard the alloy is, and the real diameter inside the barrel - overbored guns seem to abound, and generally don't shoot well regardless. Plenty of people post testimonials that they are using old microgroove barrels and cast bullets and shooting way better than I can with the 'right' kind of rifling... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

One thing: The jacketed will not shoot well with lead in the bbl, at least IMO. But, the worst it will shoot will be well within minute of deer, coyote, groundhog, pig or whatever needs shooting.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Find one you like. Either Micro or Ballard will shoot just fine. Start with a bullet diameter that is .001" larger than barrel groove diameter and you will be on your way. Now match bullet hardness to desired velocity and find an appropriate powder. Good Luck, 1886.
Rodfac
Levergunner

Post by Rodfac »

I've got a Marlin 336 in .44 Magnum with micro groove rifling. It will hold an inch @ 50 yds all day long with a Williams Fool Proof receiver sight on it and jacketed bullets. Winchester factory loads, and my home reloads with Remington 240 gr JHP's as well as Hornady 200gr XTP's all shoot that well. The Winchester 240's chrono right at 1700 fps. Cast bullets are another story, and I haven't found a load that will shoot more than a cpl before the barrel leads up and the group goes out the window. I've tried up to .430" diameter bullets with it with no success as yet. Just cast some 429215 gc's today that measure .433" as cast. I'll hand lube those and see tomorrow.

Son #2 has a 1894 .44 Mag. 24" Cowboy that has standard rifling and I had no trouble putting up cast boolit loads that grouped less than 2" @ 50 yds with moderate velocity...about 1500 fps. His rifle shoots the jacketed stuff as well as the 336 with micro groove too.

If I had my druthers, and I were you, I'd get the Cowboy with standard rifling...just easier to get a good cheap lead bullet load that works. Plus, I like that square bolt and octagon barrel better. They make a 20" model as I recall too, if you're looking for a good woods carbine or one that fits a saddle scabbard better. I must admit tho, that a 24" M-94 in .38-55 that I' ve had 20 years now, fits just fine on both my saddles. Regards, HTH's Rodfac
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Why don't you run a search over here: http://forum1.aimoo.com/Cast___Boolits__
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

The 1st thing is decide weather you are going to shoot cast or jackets . It takes 500+ rounds to season a lead bullet shooter and 1 jacket bullet to screw it up . Copper fouling cause leading . Without writing a book both riflings will shoot cast bullet great , just that the ballard has a few more plus on it side . I shot this 32-20 micro with lead with no gas checks up to 2,000 fps with no problems . I shot this gun 3 days ago , shot 100 rds of 1400 fps and no lead in bore , only a patch was needed to clean , no brush was need . That's a seasoned barrel .

Image..Image
Image......Image
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

Mitch,
The type of rifling isn't as critical as the hardness and size of the bullet you push through it. Slug the bore, find a bullet 1-2 thousandths of an inch larger and go shoot them. My Marlin 1894 is one of the infamous "Fat-bore" rifles - bore measures .432". I found a couple of suppliers who could give me .432" bullets and she shoots like a champ with them. Use the right size bullet and tailor the hardness to the velocity you will be running; Hard for gfast, softer for slower. The chamber pressure has to obturate the bullet to the bore, a hard bullet will lead at low velocity because you don't have enough pressure to mate the bullet to the bore. Check out Montana Bullets, Marcy and Dave will tailor the bullet to yuor needs and they are a sdponsor of this site. Good shootin'!

centershot
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

All the new .44 1894's have ballard rifling............
de k8bor

Dave
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

Here a paste on cast bullet in micro- grove barrels

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellMarlin-MicroGroove.htm
Image..Image
Image......Image
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

tn gun runner wrote:Here a paste on cast bullet in micro- grove barrels

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellMarlin-MicroGroove.htm
That is a good article. Very informative. 1886.
TX Gun Runner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX Gun Runner »

I found my 30-30 information index card with my 30-30 micro-groove . Lost most all my target in a move .

Image..Image
Image......Image
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have a Marlin 44 Mag carbine with the MG barrel and it does just fine with cast bullets. However there are a few issues to consider.

1. The MG barrels tend to run larger in the groove and land diameter than other barrels. Mine does it best work with bullets sized .431 or .432. Your milage may vary.
2. The Marlin barrels have a slower twist than other makes. Mine will shoot 225 grain bullets at 1,000 - 1,200 fps range with fine accuracy. Switch to the longer 260- 300 grain bullets at the same speed and the groups open up. Now boost the velocity of those longer/heavier to factory magnum velocities and those groups tighten back down again.

I have an old Redfield 102 receiver sight on the rear and a Burris Sourdough Patridge front sight on the rifle. Tis a mighty fine rifle.