Shooting the 22lr

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Shooting the 22lr

Post by meanc »

I've been over to RimfireCentral and have seen some of those mid to high end target rimfire rifles and pistols that are capable of shooting sub MOA groups at 100yds all day long.

I myself just picked up a new 10/22 carbine and a couple of Ruger pistols, a 22/45 Target and a MKII Target (both 5.5")

These are the first of these I have ever owned. I've been shooting my 22lr levers and Single Sixes for many years. The levers have always impressed me with their accuracy out to about 75yds (not match quality but dang sure good enough for me) and the Single Sixes have been just okay for about 15yds. They have always served me well for hunting and plinking.

Anyway, after shooting these new-fangled semi autos today, the 10/22 accuracy is excellent for hunting at distances I'm comfortable with, out to 75yds maybe a little further. I was grouping 5 shots into less than 3/4" groups at 50yd

The pistol's accuracy totally blew me away. At 20yds offhand I was easily getting 1" groups for 5 shots.

I still love my levers and single actions and won't be putting them away for a long long time, but I have to say, these are very impressive for being bone stock.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shooting the 22lr

Post by Modoc ED »

Yep, those 10/22s and Mark Is, IIs, and IIIs are good accurate guns. I've got three 10/22s (one with the heavy target barrel), and two MK I pistols (one a standard and one a target). All are accurate.

EDIT: They are reliable too. I've shot over 30,000 rounds through my 10/22T (Target) Heavy Barrel shooting Belding Ground Squirrels without one problem. Just clean the action after every 1,000 rounds or so and it keeps going and going and going -- kinda like the "Energizer Bunny".
Last edited by Modoc ED on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ED
Yer never too old
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

When I shot Bullseye pistol matches there were a lot of shooters using bone stock Ruger Mark I and Mark II target pistols, and holding their own against some pretty high dollar pistols like Walther, Hammerli, and Beeman Unique. As far as bang for the buck goes, the Ruger Mark II is probably one of the best for the price range.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I owned a Volquartsen Custom, for several years, and it was just as they advertised it. A "one-hole-wondergun"....stainless steel, match grade, semi based on the 10/22 design. I had consistent sub .25" ctc, 5-shot, 50yd groups using Wolf MT or Wolf ME. I did have a quality piece of glass on it, so that helped.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I really cherish shooting my 22's. I have a custom 10/22 with the Boyds green lam. thumbhole stock (sorry no pics) with a green mountain heavy barrel that is alot more accurate than I am. A Ruger Mark II heavy barrel pistol that is just plain fun, a 9422, a Rem. 572 pump, and a Winchester model 69 with a Lyman peep in the mail right now going to my FFL to pick-up. I will also be buying a Savage Cub for my 4 year old son/daugther (twins) this spring.

So you can say I am a 22 fan.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

You don't have to have an Anshutz to sub MOA groups. These are five shot groups at 50 yds. from my Savage MKIIBV, a $300 rifle with a $80 scope using bulk Winchester Dynapoint ammo:

With bulk ammo I always get a flier or two in a group. I don't have any pictures of targets with better ammo, but with Wolf or Federal 711b I can shoot ragged one hole groups at 50 yds. on a calm day.

Now this doesn't mean that I don't covet an Anshutz with Zeiss glass, but I do get a lot of satisfaction when I can shoot tight groups with my Savage/Tasco rig.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like lever actions, but since you don't reload .22 LR anyway, I don't figure it is a problem that the semiautos throw the brass all over. I think the 10/22 is supposedly more accurate than either the bolt 77/22 or the lever 96/22.

It would be a 'fun' shoot to get three shooters, a 10/22, 96/22, and 77/22, and have a competition; let each shooter fire each gun, and figure out whether the shooter, or the gun, is a bigger factor. Mix up precision targets and rapid-fire targets.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

66GTO wrote: With bulk ammo I always get a flier or two in a group.
You need one of these...

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... f=1&t=7785
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Dyerbill
Levergunner

Post by Dyerbill »

I have a Ruger 10/22, Marlin 60 and Browning Buckmark Camper. I couldn't be happier with their performence. 8)
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I have a Mark II 22/45. LOVE IT. I gave it to my daughter for her 12th birthday. She's 21 now and I'm not giving it to her until she takes the concealed carry course (NRA course) and gets the NC pistol purchase permit. I don't think she'll ever do either. I'll keep shooting it.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

AJMD429 wrote:
66GTO wrote: With bulk ammo I always get a flier or two in a group.
You need one of these...

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... f=1&t=7785
It's on my wish list :)
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have a 10/22 that I've been improving for some time. Thus far it has a Green Mountain heavy SS barrel. I put it in a Houge overmoulded stock, but it has it's own problems. I think I'll go back to the wood.

The range I go to has a monthly shoot where we shoot the USBR targets. You'd be surprised what shooting off a bench @ 25 and 50 yards will teach you.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Buckmark Target 5.5"

Bought mine used, no idea of round count, never a failure and it'll outshoot me any day of the week.

My buddy gets several new shooters a year with no experience and he always borrows my Buckmark Target to start them off.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I just ordered an Uberti 66 winchester sporter in 22lr to go with a Uberti 73 carbine in 22lr which is a dream to shoot

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Tycer wrote:I have a Mark II 22/45. LOVE IT. I gave it to my daughter for her 12th birthday. She's 21 now and I'm not giving it to her until she takes the concealed carry course (NRA course) and gets the NC pistol purchase permit. I don't think she'll ever do either. I'll keep shooting it.
MAKE her take the course and get the permit; you wouldn't let her drive without functioning brakes - don't let her go out in the world without functioning self-defense.

Most people think it is too impolite to think about their own safety, until AFTER they get raped, mugged, or assaulted. I see them all the time as patients, and try to help put back the physical and emotional pieces. Unfortunately, sometimes the lack of ability to defend themself from that FIRST assault leaves them with permanent scars, dysfunction, or sometimes, they don't even survive it.

Make her get the permit, and then make her get something a bit more of a 'stopper' than the .22LR (but she can practice with it).

[/paternalistic lecture mode off]
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote:I have a 10/22 that I've been improving for some time. Thus far it has a Green Mountain heavy SS barrel. I put it in a Houge overmoulded stock, but it has it's own problems. I think I'll go back to the wood.

The range I go to has a monthly shoot where we shoot the USBR targets. You'd be surprised what shooting off a bench @ 25 and 50 yards will teach you.
What is the problem with the Hogue stock?

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Barbarossa, PM incoming. Thanks