Best/Favorite .22 WRM Ammo?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Best/Favorite .22 WRM Ammo?

Post by Hobie »

I thought that those of you who use the .22 WRM might like to express your preferences regarding ammunition.

In my Contender, the 30 gr. Federal TNT and Remington BT stuff is very good and the Remington SP is good in my Single-Six.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Re: Best/Favorite .22 WRM Ammo?

Post by salvo »

The Winchester Super X was the most accurate that I have tried so far in my 9422M, the Single Six likes them too.
I have been meaning to try those Federal TNT's
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My CZ-452 likes anything 40 Grain and up. Especially the less expensive Winchester 45 gr. Dynapoints. I tried several of the premium
Bullets and the accuracy isn't as good. Tough I haven't had a chance t do anything more than shoot paper and pop cans with it.
Accuracy with the lighter bullets are still "Minute of Woodchuck" but don't shoot the ragged little holes that the 40 grain bullets do.

I've just started playing with the .22 Magnum and wish I had started long ago.

As for the 452 it's a fantastic little rifle. Feeds and functions perfectly and the first tangent sight that I've come across that
actually works. Set it at 75 yards and boom. Dead on!

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

My Marlin 782 bolt action really likes the Winchester Super X and the Remington 40 grain fmj . Any 30 grain stuff I've tried won't group better than 2" @50 yards . I do not discount it though as thats a head shot rabbit - would like to try the Hornady V Max ammunition - might buy some next pay day .

I wish the manufacturers would get fair dinkum about the .22 magnum and develop some match grade ammo for it , would love a 40 grain V Max loading . It is a potent little round that kills out of all proportion to it's ballistics .

regards Jacko
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

The original and still champion for my 1968 Single Six, Peacemaker .22 and 9422M Trapper is the Winchester Super-X; solid slightly better than hollow-point. Federal is next, and then the others in no particular order.

For just keeping the cobwebs out of the rifling, whatever's cheapest. Around here (DFW) the Winchester brown box WRF is often available for less than WMR, and that's okay because everything likes that just fine as well.

While they were obtainable, the PMC Predators did good service.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

So far CCI Maxi Mag Hollow Points in my Single Six.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

My single six seems to prefer the Win 40gr HPs. I have been hearing good things about the
CCI 30gr +V but I can't find any. All you can find around here is Vmax and the new Green TNT.

Bob a
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I picked up 3000 PMC Predator for $80.00 per 1k a while back. So, right now that's my favorite.

The CCI Maxi Mags are just a tad more accurate at 50yds which isn't going to make a bit of difference to anything I'll be shooting at.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

PMC Predator HP.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

My Dan Wesson shoots all that I have put in it well.
Marlin likes Winchester stuff.
High Standard derringer, I cannot shoot it well enough to tell.
At the cleanup I found a box of Federal 50 gr. Jacketed hollow point, can't wait to test drive this stuff.
I don't know about the Remington yet.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Don't know about the Ruger either......... I need to go shooting!
hammerman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hammerman »

Winchester super X for me. I didn't like the dynapoints because they're so slow, I have to move my sights up alot.
Only Winchester levers, one custom 356 top eject bigbore
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

My Ruger 10/22 mag likes the Winchester Super X, and the CCI Maxi Mag Hollow Points. Close to 10 bucks per 50 now!
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I've used a bit of Winchester Super X HP and the 34 grain Winchester Supreme on prairie dogs with my 9422M; those two loads are the most accurate out of it. Both are pretty effective on praire dogs. I've used some CCI loads but not as much as the Winchesters.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Excuse my ignorance, there are prarie dogs in Ohio?
wildhobbybobby
Levergunner

Post by wildhobbybobby »

Winchester 40 gr. Super-X all the way. I have taken thousands of prairie dogs with that load in my Ruger 77/22M. Works great to 150 yards (I did make a lucky kill once at 440 yards, but it would be bragging to talk about it). :roll:
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

mescalero1 wrote:My Dan Wesson shoots all that I have put in it well.
mescalero1, I have seen very few .22Mag Dan Wesson's! I have three Dan Wesson's, one of them is a .22LR. I keep hoping to find a .22Mag some day. Got a picture?
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My .22WRM rifles and pistols like pretty much anything I feed them - so I generally buy the least expensive I can find.

I like any HP or SP for varmints/predators, with FMJ's for edible small game to reduce excessive tissue destruction.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

We don't get as much choice in .22Magnum Ammo on this side of the pond, so I use mostly Winchester Super X or CCI both 40gr. I bought some Remington ammo the other day but as yet I have not tried it out.

My son saw three Foxes yesterday whilst beating here on a Pheasant shoot so hopefully my 9422M will be put to good use as soon as the new keeper here gives me the go ahead! GK Junior will be using his .22 Hornet.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

I purchased some CCI 22MAG TNT Green with hp lead free from midway, has anyone tried this?
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

No, but please let us know how it works.
loader
Levergunner 1.0

Post by loader »

My Savage 24 22WRM/20 Guage likes Winchester SuperX best. Fortunately it also likes Winchester Dynapoints almost as well, they are cheaper and dont do the meat damage on small game that full power loads do.So I've been stocking up on them.

Has anyone tried the Armscor Precision that Sportsman Guide is selling? Very attractive price.
Never take life seriously, cause there's no way of getting out of it alive.
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

mescalero1 wrote:No, but please let us know how it works.
I will, may get out to the range today with my ruger single six and see how it performs,don't have a 22mag rifle.
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

mescalero1 wrote:Excuse my ignorance, there are prarie dogs in Ohio?
No wild ones that I know of; the Cincinnati Zoo had some last time I was there.

I've driven out to Montana six times back when I had a free place to stay and shoot prairie dogs.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Super X or CCI 40 grn solids for predators just shot the new Hornady 30 gr Vmax yesterday 5" group @ 200 yds windy and 8* will wait for a nicer day, will use on rock chucks and gophers if they will group. danny
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Danny,
What kind of gun?
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Oh, ok; I was confused for a while there.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Mescalero
rossi M59 pump with 3X red dot, Ive been looking for a 96-22 Mag to put more glass on for the longer shots . danny
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Dot covering the target?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Yea, past 100 not so good for head shots its excellent for predators in close under 50 I take the 3X off and just use the dot. danny
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

mescalero1 wrote:No, but please let us know how it works.
I'll try getting to the range to try out the 22 mag tnt green.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Danny, love the dots because I can see them, hate the fact I cant use them long range.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A dot can be used for long range if the rifle's zeroed at the bottom of the dot.

woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

I have had very good results with the Winchester 40 grain hp in my 94/22 magnum.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Pete44ru,
Have to give that a try
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

My Henry 22mag love CCI 40gr JHP and FMJ, Hornady 30gr Vmax and Federal 50grSGL. They shoot ragged cloverleafs at 44 yards and they avg 30-80fps faster than ballistic charts show
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I stick mostly with the 40gr Winchester Super-X JHPs. They perform well for me all around. The lightest I shoot is the Winchester Supremes in 34gr. I have tried most of the CCI stuff and find it reliable but perhaps not as accurate in the guns I shoot in 22WMR. I also have some of the heavy 50gr federal stuff. I haven't tried any of the Fiocchi or PMC loads but I may end up doing do if I can't replenish my Winchester stash. For some reason, Winchester seems to have not run any 22WMR in a while and the Super-X 40gr JHPs are out of stock most everywhere. The SportsmansGuide seems to be about the only online retailer that still has any on hand. There were some at the last gun show here for $13 a box ... I passed. They should be $9.50 or less.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
JustaJeepGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by JustaJeepGuy »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:They should be $9.50 or less.
Yikes! The last ones I bought were $5.50! Naturally, I didn't buy enough.
A man's admiration for absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Some .22 WMRF is over $16 a box... IF you can find it. The FMJ is available. How many here have a use for the FMJ? I just get a .22 LR.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Hobie wrote:... The FMJ is available. How many here have a use for the FMJ? I just get a .22 LR.
Yeah, I'd have to be pretty desperate to buy the FMJ. I may hit Sportsman's Guide for 1000 JHP's soon if I can't find a deal on them elsewhere. At the same time though, I'm trying to spend and bulk up on primers too so it's tough. I need to spin a good story up and see if I can't get the wife to part with $1500 or so and let me get all of my rimfire, primer, powder, and other consumable needs out of the way.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
Hobie wrote:... The FMJ is available. How many here have a use for the FMJ? I just get a .22 LR.
I need to spin a good story up and see if I can't get the wife to part with $1500 or so and let me get all of my rimfire, primer, powder, and other consumable needs out of the way.
Would $1500 do it for you? :lol: $300 for a case of .22 LR or $5-600 for a case of .22 WMRF, $30+ a thousand on primers and $22 a lb for powder...
Sincerely,

Hobie

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Hobie wrote:
Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
I need to spin a good story up and see if I can't get the wife to part with $1500 or so and let me get all of my rimfire, primer, powder, and other consumable needs out of the way.
Would $1500 do it for you? :lol: $300 for a case of .22 LR or $5-600 for a case of .22 WMRF, $30+ a thousand on primers and $22 a lb for powder...
I need about 15,000 more primers (LP, SR, LRM) to the tune of about $400. I have all of the 22LR I need I believe. I'd like to get about 2000 more rounds of 22WMR for about $380. I need three more 8# canisters of powder to the tune of about $400. I guess I'd like to spend another $300 on 1000 rounds of 5mm Centurion. That's $1480 so far.

So yeah, maybe I need to be shootin' for $2500 so I can buy into some jacketed slugs in 458, 348, 308, 222, etc. Maybe Obama will send me one of those fancy tax rebate checks the people on the news keep talking about. :roll: That's the least he could do before he imposes ammo taxes and other stealth gun bans.

If I could find more Winchester PowerPoints for $300 a case I'd be in ... but it's almost as if Winchester decided to quit making rimfire or something. The stuff is almost mythical at this point. With the AWB scare, I should probably sell off some M855 and turn the proceeds into other gun stuff. I may have over bought on SS109 before the old AWB of '94 when I was younger and more panicky. :)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I hear you on the PowerPoint. What IS up with Winchester and rimfire ammo?
Sincerely,

Hobie

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

That is why I was hoping to find a use for that Winchester 540 MS