First Table at a Gun Show - Houston

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

First Table at a Gun Show - Houston

Post by okdee »

Well, I am pretty pumped about this coming weekend. My Daddy left a number of firearms to the family and I have sorted through them and have selected a number to be sold and the money given back to Mom.

Mom and I can remember how fond Dad was of going to the gun shows and talking an swapping and buying and selling guns. I remember trailing around with Dad and was always amazed at the friendly, straight in the eye, smiling vendors and customers. Used to be kind of a social event, with conversations geared to whatever gun information you had or needed to know about, reloading ideas, storys about this and that. Kind of a repectful / helpful environment :D

The last 4-5 gunshows, I have noted that there is a less chance of small talk and more push to get to the next table. Seems to be a large number of folks going for ammo and black guns and less and less talking to the folks around you. :o

I miss the conversations............ :!:

Anyway, Me and the wife and boy and a friend are gona park and see what happens.

I got a table at the upcoming HGCA show at the Reliant Center in Houston, Texas. :wink:

Anyone got some good lessons learned to pass on??? :mrgreen:

Preciate it.

Oklahoma Dee
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Re: First Table at a Gun Show - Houston

Post by dkmlever »

Tips....well
Price your guns to sell or to just be looked at and taken home, your choice.
Whatch kids with sodas leaning over your table and possibly spilling on your guns.
The first set up time is when other dealers are cruising for a buy. As you are setting up they will be picking up things and asking how much? Have them priced before you go to the show so you are not harried and make a quick price and loose dollars. Don't take those offers unless you really want to unload you table.
Don't be tempted to sell it over the counter with out a back ground check. Here in CO it is posted all over the shows that all sales must have the CBI background check. You never know who might be an undercover guy trying to see if you will make an illeagal sale.
Layout your goods neatly but have something unmarked put out a mixed box of stuff to slow down the walkers, then you can start that conversation you like so much.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

If you have any handguns on the table either secure them some way or keep a real close eye on lookers. The last show I went to somebody stole a Colt Delta Elite right off a table. Never heard if they caught them or not.
NRA Life Member
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Have fun, and keep a smile on your face. I'd rather give my money to someone who seems to enjoy being there, than to some sour puss. I also enjoy straight answers, and try to give them when I'm behind the table. If there's anything I hate it's guys who can't answer a simple question without double talk. I sure enjoy both sides of the table, and it's refreshing when I ask if a gun has been altered, and get an honest answer.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Excellent pricing advice from dkmlever.
Remember, a gun is only worth what someone will pay for it. Leave your agenda at home.

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

dkmlever wrote: Don't be tempted to sell it over the counter with out a back ground check. Here in CO it is posted all over the shows that all sales must have the CBI background check. You never know who might be an undercover guy trying to see if you will make an illeagal sale.
Not a concern in TX. All you need is state ID to prove you are a resident and over 18/21 (depending on if it's a handgun or long gun) for a private sale.

Having been on both sides of the table, here's some advice I can think of offhand:

Be ready to haggle a bit. For some folks, they get more enjoyment out of the haggling rather than the actual purchase.

Have plenty of bills on hand to make change. Some folks only show up with fifties or hundreds.

Acknowledge folks looking even if you're dealing with someone. Just a simple "I'll be right with you" is enough in most cases. I've walked away from more than one interesting deal because the seller was more interested in BSing with someone rather than acknowledging a potential customer.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Thanks for the advice! :D We are looking forward to the show. Anyone coming to the show at Reliant, come on by and chat with me or my wife! I should have my cowboy hat on!
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Just got back from the Friday setup. I am more than happy! :D
Everyone is nice and lots of good talk!
I even sold 3 guns so far. Nothing major, but, so far the table is paid for! :wink:

I actually held an excellent Winchester 1876 NWMP Carbine in the 45-75 caliber ! :)
I also saw a good Winchester 1895 rifle in the30-40 Krag caliber.

Wish me luck finding that Winchester that speaks to me! :lol:
Hope I can afford it!
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I will probably be there on Saturday with my ten-year-old nephew. I might wear a black cowboy hat, or perhaps a black Nike runner's cap. If I can find it, I will wear a name badge with "Rex G" on it.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

Dang busy show. My shooting buddy and I walked the whole show and he picked up a couple of rifles. I was on the lookout for something special but no Registered Magnums or 38/44 Heavy duties to be found.
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Hey ho! I saw a good number of friends. Sold a few and talked some good talk! Really good folks, taking their time!
I really enjoyed myself. Sunday is the last day, hope to make some more friends and maybe make a final trade on a Colt SAA or (as always) a Winchester! :D
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

We didn't make it Saturday. Perhaps I will stop in for a visit after I finish working traffic control for the Houston marathon on Sunday.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.