First Lever action , just red tape now .

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

First Lever action , just red tape now .

Post by Jacko »

Well after weeks of wasting time deciding what rifle I wanted I settled on a .357 mag Handi rifle 8) - None in stock at the new distributors :o and will have to wait for a couple of months for a new shipment to arrive Downunder ! I'm not that patient :x

So plan B was put into motion - I went to the police station , paid the nice man for my permit to acquire and in about 14 days time when the red tape has been cut through I will be walking back into the local gun shop to pick up the 357 mag Rossi Puma with a 24" octagonal barrel I put on layby :D . :D

Just to frighten you folks , the Handi rifle was going to cost me $580 Aust , I ended up paying $775 Aust for the Rossi . I was quite happy with how smooth the action and trigger felt on this rifle , should bed together pretty slick . I also liked how the rifle come to my shoulder and how steady it felt with that long heavy barrel .

I am still deciding on the sights , the standard open sights do not agree with me -will replace them with either a peep sight or long eye relief scope - total cost will be about the same with gunsmithing required . I have good eyes and love the old school charm of the peep sights . A scope will give me a more precise sight picture but may upset the balance of this outfit - what do you folks think

The rifle will get used at the range monthly and on 2 or 3 hunts a year chasing pigs , goats , foxes , rabbits and maybe a Fallow Deer which pass through the district I hunt in occasionly . In a little while I will be handloading for it but I have not decided if I'm not going to bother with shooting .38 specials out of it

I am not good at waiting and especially if it was not for the BS firearm legislation we have to deal with in the country I would be taking my new Lever Action out hunting next weekend instead of my Lee Enfield No1 mk 3 .303 . Patience son - only 14 more sleeps :roll:

regards Jacko
Advanced Levergunner

Re: First Lever action , just red tape now .

Post by 1886 »

I like those loooong barrels myself. The .357 mag. is quite the performer of out a carbine/rifle barrel. Very impressive for a "toy" cartridge. Love my B-92 with heavy bullets. Have Fun, 1886.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

It is always hard to wait :!: :!:
Personally I would go for peep sights :D
However you sight it I am sure you will enjoy it :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looking forward to the pictures. Congratulations! Nothing wrong with the Handi Rifle, but personally I think you stepped up quite a bit in getting the '92. I like the open sights, but if I were to change them, given what you intend on doing, I'd go with a peep as well.

Enjoy!!!
Rick-F
Levergunner

Post by Rick-F »

This would look very nice on that Puma:

http://www.columbiaprecision.com/images/Custom86.jpg

But a modern Williams FP or similar might "work" better. . . . or not
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

At work today I was thinking about how a tang mounted peep would go on the Rossi , I like the authentic feel it would add to the rifle . Much more streamlined than than a receiver mounted Lyman peep I priced . Have thought about a set of ghost rings and fibre optics as well . I have never seen a tang mounted peep for sale in any gun shops about here - will chase up availability and price .

A long eye relief scope still has front running and it will take me a little while to save for , I'm sure I will change my mind 6 times along the way .

regards Jacko
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Congrats on the Puma- a very good choice.Peeps are the way to go.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Hi Jacko,
I to am also waiting for my permit to pick up an 1892 clone in 357mag. Mine has 24" octagon barrel as well, but is a Chiappa. I have a tang mounted peep sight to put on mine when I get it, but will try the iron sights out first. I have heard of a guy in the US who is making tang sights for the 1892 etc that have windage adjustment and are reasonably priced. Let me know if you want his details for the future.
What state are you in? I am in Sydney.
Cheers, Pop.
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

Gidday Pop , I live 40 k's north of Brisbane , what sold you on the Chiapia ? . I am really looking forward to hunting with this rifle . I said I would change my mind 6 times before I pick the rifle up about the sights - am interested to look into the tang sight you mentioned in a few weeks . I have not imported any firearms parts before so how much of a pain is it ? I'm a postie and know post will carry firearm parts with no restrictions . I know I screamed long and loud as did many others at them a few years back when they where refusing to carry any firearms parts , thankfully they woke up to themselves .

Does customs make it hard for us to import bits and pieces ? Do we need import permits ? Will trawl through the customs regulations and see what the deal is

regards Jacko
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

customs don't seem to make it to hard to import sights and gunsmiths tools thay do open alot of the stuff i get sent in from overseas
but i have never had a problem so far
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

A peep sight just seems to fit the M 92 rifle and .357 cartridge for me :

Enjoy!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My son had a Rossi in .44 mag that we put a tang sight on. Just my opinion mind you but to me it really changed the handling of the rifle for the worse. My hand didn't fit in place like it used to. I like a peep sight but if I were to do it again I'd go with a receiver sight.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

Thanks for the advice fella's , I had wondered about the placement of the tang mounted peep and if it affected the grip you have on the stock , particully under recoil . I have blocky hands so will look into it . Perhaps this is why the gunsmith showed me the Lyman receiver mounted peep sight !

What about the XS ghost rings , any you fella's like em ? Not sure about the short sighting radius . Any other makes / types that have served you well . Will scroll back and have a flick through the articles as well

regards Jacko