The reason you like a certain brand or model?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

The reason you like a certain brand or model?

Post by marlinman93 »

With the various posts of your favorite this or that, I began to think about a question that often crossed my mind; "Why does a guy like a particular gun brand or model?"
In my case it started with the 1893 Marlin, which lead to all the other Marlins.
I was just beginning to get interested in 1894 Winchesters, and had 4-5 of them, when I passed a model 1893 Marlin Takedown in .25-36M at a local gun show. I was trying to sell a 1894 Win. SRC in .25-35, and the table holder was interested in my Win. 1894. After we both looked each other's guns over we decided to do a straight across swap. When I got the 1893 home I wasn't all that infatuated with it, but after taking it all apart and seeing how simple the action was, I really became a fan. The rest just followed me home after that first one! That first one is still in my safe too!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: The reason you like a certain brand or model?

Post by Old Ironsights »

Pure functionality.

I like Stainless.

I like Utimate Strength.

I like Utility/totability.

This means, in practical terms, 1892 Rossis and 1895 Marlins.

For the same reasons, I don't care for Square Bolt Marlins or 1866/1873s... and the 1886 is just a bit too heavy and not in stainless vs. the M1895...

Get the picture?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I dont have any real practical reasons for liking Marlin. It was my first lever gun. I have tried Winchester and Browning, but currently I am back down to just the Marlin's. Their simplicity is a definite benefit.
OI I will be trying my first stainless Marlin in the upcoming year. I hope I like it as much as the blue model and if I dont there is always black Krylon.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I don't really know how I became enamored of the Winchester 1886, but the classic lines and siky smooth mechanics got to me early when I bought my first one back in '62. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Prefer my lever be a Marlin, all of mine are currently pre safety and prefer it stay that way, but I really do like the looks of the 45-70 guide gun. I have shot a few winchesters and really dont care for them. Marlin spoiled me I guess! Other than that, a Marlin 336 30-30 was my first deer rifle and it just grew on me. I have taken several deer out to 100 yrds with the iron sights and 2 of the deer dropped where they were at and were DRT (Dead Right There) all the others I ever shot were found only a short distance away! If it works dont mess with it! :D
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

What makes me come back to something is if it works as designed and advertised to work. If it doesn't, I'm done with it. Unless there's some viable reason why it didn't do what it was supposed to and then I'll give whomever the chance to correct it. Or if it fits me better or just works better for my way of doing things. Burn me once and I'm done.
Old Law Dawg
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Like every other sensible person, leverguns are my favorite long guns. 8)
I also like guns that are closely fitted and nicely finished.
When I got a chance at a mid-80s vintage Browning 1895 in 30-06, I didn't hesitate for a moment.
There is just something about an 1895, and Browning certainly knows how to do the design justice.
I'm even thinking about selling off some of my other, non-lever guns to get an 1895 saddle ring carbine.

Jack
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I guess I'm not really enamored of any particular makes, not in leverguns anyway. But, I suppose I like light and short (at least relatively so), not stainless so much and not belted magnums so much. In bolt guns I like the Enfields and small ring Mausers with the 1891s (Mausers) being my favorite. In revolvers, I like those that are 4-3/4" Colt size or smaller (or 1911 size or smaller) and not plastic (mostly). In shotguns I like the SxS and single over the OU or pump with the semi-auto dead last (except for the Browning Auto5). Go figure.

PS The real attraction for me is the history of it or the mechanicals of it. Some seem elegant and some seem, well, less so.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Chamberings (love .44 Mag, desire .460 S&W), Reliability (no jams, feeds everything), Durability (loves rain, dirt, high-pressure reloads), Parts availability (Marlins from 1889 to present have MANY parts in common), Simplicity (Marlins vs. Winchesters), and ease of cleaning (Marlins vs. Winchesters). I really dislike the way many guns are claimed to be weather-resistant, but in a levergun, any rain gets under the forearm and the forearms are a pain to remove.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Has to shoot well, completely reliable, durable, handle well, look good, point naturally, carry well and be of a caliber I happen to like. lets see, marlin levers (1893, 39TDS, 1895), Shiloh Sharps, '92. I prefer big holes but I also like .22, .357, .30 cal. The '92 .357 is my favorite lever I own, and would be the one I'd keep if I could only have one. If Pa would allow me to hunt small game with it, I would never shoot the .22 lever again and would use it for defense, small game, deer, turkey. I haven't found the perfect weapons yet but I am pretty pleased with the current lineup that I an intrusted with. For pistols, I love double action smiths, but I can appreciate the beauty of the Colt SAA and Freedom arms pistols, or the history of the 1911. My favorite pistol out of all is my walther .22lr. It defines the mid size semi for me. I am currently on the hunt for an original Smith Break top but if it doesn't happen in a week, then I am off of that for a year because I'm taking 2009 off from buying firearms. In hunting shotguns, Side by Sides of British influence which means no pistol grips, small action, light, pointable and if they come with hammers, all the more better. I choose Benelli though for my defense shotgun as a general rule. A marine 870 is mounted in my boat. For traditional BP, I like a flintlock with a big hole in the long barrel in the german/lancaster style of a virginia rifle. For pellet rifle, I like a spring air gun because the cahging of the pcp guns is a pain! Hmmm - after reading this I could reduce my collection way down - two modern rifles - .22 and .357, two pistols .22 and .357, two shotguns (hunting and self defense)a pellet rifle in .20 and a BP rifle in .54. That means I could sell off 7 long guns and 3 pistols!!! Nahhhh
Last edited by rjohns94 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Winchesters 1892, 1894, 189.... Well you get it. I also like my Savage 99. I have been considering the Marlin Guide gun to add to my 45-70 club. I have 1886, Sharps 1874 and Springfield Trapdoor Carbine. All repros but wow what fun.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I fell in love, with the 22 caliber, while in the Boy Scouts. I would shoot for hours at summer camp and never get bored. Later in life I was drawn back to the shooting sports and started out collecting every semi-auto Com-Bloc variant until I bought a 39A.

While I prefer the Marlin style and action, in leverguns, I am drawn to the Winchester and Remington pumps, semi-autos, and bolts.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

In leveractions, (my favorite type of rifle) I guess I prefer Pre-64 Winchesters, Browning reproductions from the pre-safety era, and older Steel Framed BLR's, because they just seem to be of high quality, and solid construction, using blue steel and walnut.

And I have owned quite a few Marlins over the years, but for some reason, they end getting traded off, for the most part. I guess the only one I own now is a .22 cal. 39LTD pre-safety with a oct. barrel. The one I miss the most was an older pistol griped 444, probably because of a very memorable kill I made with it, on a running buck, about 25 yrs ago. Talk about an adrenlin rush, that ones burned into my memory forever.

I don't like plastic on my guns very much, and I don't like much aluminum alloy, either. I don't really want fancy guns, although I do own a few, becasue a deal came along, before I found a plainer model, but I hate cheap shortcuts, in materials or workmanship. I want my guns to be made like God, Winchester, and John Browning intended them to be made.

I can't stand an unreliable gun, of any kind, and won't tolerate it for long. It gets fixed or gets gone.

My favorite shotguns are side by sides, like L.C. Smith, J. P. Sauer, Parkers, and Winchester 23's. My favorite Automatic is a Browning A5 Belgium.

I like Colt Peacemaker type revolvers, of good quality, and Smith and Wesson doubleactions, and Ruger Singleactions.

My favorite semi-auto pistol is a Colt 1911 or clone of good quality. And I can appreciate a good Browning High Power if it has been customized to suit me.

I like Winchester 97 Pumps, Model 12's, and I can appreciate a good Remington 1100 auto.

Favorite Bolt actions are Remington 700's, Winchester model 70's, and old SAKO L61's, Swedish 96 mausers and German 98's, I can even appreciate a Mosin Nagant for what it is.

I said I didn't like plastic much, but I will make an exception for AR-15's and FALs, and darn it, I even have a use for that little Kel-tec 32 auto, and I would use a Glock if I needed to, but I just never had much love for them.
Last edited by Lastmohecken on Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Fits the hand nicely

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

1) Balance

2) Mechanics

3) looks

Number one is how it points and fits me, my Win 94s w/ 24" barrels stand out here, with Marlin 336 a close second.

Number two is how smoothly they function, the 336s are the best, though my Win Legacy is working quite well. Also for toughness the 336s are "it".

For looks, I like the traditional look and feel, so far I've stayed away from the synthetic stocks and stainless. I liked the Henry Golden Boy to handle but not to look at. So I didn't buy it.

My Winnies are range queens, my 336's get all the battle scars.

Hey, don't forget accuracy, my Win 94's beat the Marlins there (although not by much).
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

It goes bang when I pull the trigger and hits what I'm aiming at. I have more Win 94 AEs than anything because that was my first lever and it took enough tweaking to shoot right that I learned tons about that particular mechanism, function, mods, and cost.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

The first thing has to be aesthetics. I don't buy guns that are ugly to me. Ok, with the exception of the Glock. :wink:

Next would be the way if feels in my hands and when I shoulder it. Has to be comfortable and fit, like a good pair of jeans.

Then would be caliber, condition of piece, and then lastly, will the wife get too mad if I bring this home? :lol:
NRA Life Member
hammerman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hammerman »

Well, since John Browning is the greatest gun designer ever, and I pretty much like all the guns he designed, that leaves only winchester leveractions. They're stong for the calibers chambered and they just feel right in the hand.
Only Winchester levers, one custom 356 top eject bigbore
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Didn't Browning design the 94?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Interesting thread!

There are certain firearms that I HIT with better than others, from the first round fired down range with them.

I bought a 1908 vintage Winchester 1892 in .25-20. I've got silhouettes at my range and I fired my first round, HIT, second and so on, fell in love with that rifle and proudly got my NRA GRAND SLAM with that rifle. Getting 10 straight on all of the animals is TOUGH to do, so this 1892 and me are bonded for life!

Marlinman93 kindly sold me a black powder 1893, 26" barrel in 38-55. Same thing, I just HIT well with this gun. One of my first matches with this rifle I shot an incredible 38 out of 40 in our local silhouette match. I try to do my part but I give most of the credit to the rifle and how it performs. Just feels great when I hold it to my shoulder and I have great confidence in this sweet rifle.

Springfield M1A, the semi auto version of the M14. Same thing, with the peep sights it is incredible how this gun HITS stuff, way out there! Never thought I'd like this rifle so much but when you pick it up time after time and do well with it, you just kinda bond to it.

So even though I certainly lean toward Marlins as far as levers go, if I find a Winchester that just bonds with me, I will admire that firearm too.

The simplicity of a Marlin lever is a joy by itself though!!

Geoff
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Wouldn't you know it, Cabelas has my "dream gun", an 1886 Extra Lightweight in .50 EX, in their Gun Library. The gun is complete with the small ramp on the nickel steel barrel and Lyman 21 sight. Gee, and only 28 grand! THAT is far out of my reach, but someone will eventually hook it. :shock: :cry:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

In long guns, I'm partial to carbines for general handiness and despite growing up (which many will argue I ever did :lol: ) with a Win 94, I prefer the sturdier "feel" of the Marlins.

For pistols it's mainly about how it fits my hand, accuracy in my hands, perceived recoil, ruggedness and how well I can conceal it. So far the BHP is my idea of perfection, I just need to get the compact slide assembly. The 1911 is a close second but if anyone ever makes a Glock that fits me like a BHP I'll be all over it like ham on rye. :wink:

In double action revolvers I'll take a S&W over a Colt any day of the week. Period. End of discussion.

AFA single actions go, a 5.5" Remington NMA is the ticket for me.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I just love all leverguns, no brand loyalties here, I own Marlins, Winchester, Mossberg, and Taurus leverguns love them all equally like they were my children, each different but each with redeeming qualities. :wink:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I grew up in a house with only one lever action. But lots of Colts and Winchesters. My Dad and his Dad were dedicated Boltgun guys. But my Mom's father was a
levergun Guy all the way.
My first rifle was a Savage Stevens single shot, falling block. While I'm still partial to single shot rifles my favorites have always been lever action repeaters.
And my favorites are still Colts and Winchesters. With a few Marlins thrown in. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

For levers, I am extremely partial to Winchesters because when ever you read a book or see a photo on the "Winning of the West," 9 times out of 10, they had winchesters. This doesn't mean that I don't like Marlins but they are few and far between here that are worth owning. For instance, I always wanted a 336 in .35 but never could afford one. And its not for the reason that it was made famous by a tragic incedent that occurred in Amityville many years ago. The reason is, it seems to me to be such a fine cartridge, most perfect for the lever. I can't stand plastic stocks, even hardwood, stainless in a rifle, aluminum castings, or scopes on a levergun; but thats just me. Fortunately, my eyes are still good enough that I don't have to use a bolt gun with a scope.

I have sold CHEAP any firearm I have ever owned that had aluminum castings.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I guess to me many firearms border on mechanical "art". I can appreciate a lot of different types from a lot of different makers. Over the years you just get to find some that speak to you more than others. I think someone here said it on a previous post that some firearms are "souless"; that means some seem to transcend the sum of their parts. :D
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

I also grew up in a Winchester only household. My first rifle was a winchester. I LOVE old Winchesters. But after about 1964 or so, you can have 'em.

But I have found myself very VERY partial to Marlins now. Still have a Winchester or two but when I happened to pick up a Marlin CB in .44 at a gunshow, it was true love! I love how the long octagon barrel balances it out. The only Marlins I own with the exception of one is a Cowboy model. And now I want a couple more!

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

No brand loyalty , I just like the mechanics of them . I started with a Win 94 ,but I prefer a straight grip no matter the brand. The collection of leverguns that I have represents all makes and model of leverguns , the different designs interest me. Different calibers also interest me and I seem to have more Win because they were affordable used and there was plenty of barrels and parts floating around to do some projects .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

BenT wrote:No brand loyalty , I just like the mechanics of them . I started with a Win 94 ,but I prefer a straight grip no matter the brand. The collection of leverguns that I have represents all makes and model of leverguns , the different designs interest me. Different calibers also interest me and I seem to have more Win because they were affordable used and there was plenty of barrels and parts floating around to do some projects .
That's one of the reasons I sold my Winnies and went to Marlins! The Winchesters were too spendy, and back then I could get two Marlins for every Winnie I sold! :D
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

I thought I was brand loyal to Winchesters, until they closed the plant. Then for some reason I tried a Marlin and kinda got hooked. I like the simplicity of taking the Marlins apart and cleaning and to be honest, I find they are a little more accurate as a rule.

Having said that, I own Marlins in 308 ME, 30-30, .22 LR and .44 mag. I own one Winchester 1895 in 270 currently and I am really beginning to like it alot. It seems to fit just right. I also have one Belgium made BAR in 30-06 and one Belgium made Sweet Sixteen. As far as handguns, I am not brand loyal at all, but I do prefer SA's and mostly Rugers.

When I am considering purchasing (acquiring) a rifle, there is a 99.9% chance it will be a lever action. I have had a few single shots, but have not found the "one" yet. I am seriously considering an 1885, which I have not tried yet. The Ruger SS's do not fit me at all. Actually, I find that any Browning designed firearm fits me perfect and no Remington will come up to my shoulder lined up at all. The rest fall in between.

I really don't look at any lever gun that is not a Winchester, Marlin or Browning. Fit, finish and barrel length are my first consideration. I like 24" to 26" barrels. I am not a collector, so newer models are OK with me. Caliber is my next consideration and I prefer straight walled cartridges, even though I only have a Marlin 1894 in 44 at this time. A 38-55, 375, 45-70 or 405 is my next purchase I hope. I have had all before except for the 405, they just did not grow on me. I am also not loyal to any caliber and have found many that work for me. I like half cock hammers and really do not mind safety's, I just don't like CBS's. If it has to have one, I much prefer the tang safety. I prefer short mags and tend to go with half, 2/3 rds or button mags first. If I keep the 1894, it will become a button mag before long. I am really beginning to like the box magazine on the Winchester 1895. I think I prefer adjustable peep sights, but always return to the standard buckhorn rear sight for some unknown reason. I like a firearm with a resistant finish. If one of the makers would put one out in a parkerized finish, I would be hooked.

Right now, considering what I own and have owned, the Winchester 1895 seems to be in the lead. If it was parkerized and in a straight walled cartridge - there would be no question. The others are more than adequate and good, there just seems to be something going on with the 1895.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Well I started shooting original Winchesters (belonged to a coworker) and really liked them
which is why I like levers.

I have owned more Marlins and only Winchester now is a M52. Two Marlins in the safe.
I have a preference for pistol grip rifles because they fit my large hands better than a
straight stock.

In wheel guns I'm a hands down S&W double action person. Damage to my shooting hand
pinkie finger makes single actions uncomfortable to shoot.

Not much of a shotgunner but the one I used to shoot the best was an over and under SKB
(probably had the stock dimensions that fit me).
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I did the Winchester thing earlier in my life 1892's , 1894's , Model 70's and a whole pile of Winchester 22's .

Now the majority of the Wincheaters (old ones at least are gone) . Marlin never intrested me until they brought out the 450 Marlin , and I purchased an 1895M purely to use when I bear hunted in PA . After that they kinda took off you might say !

With the bolt actions I started with Remington 700's and went to the old tang safety Ruger 77R's . After that I went to the Kimber 89BGR Super Grade's and the Pre 64 Model 70's . After bringing those rifles in one to many times covered with ice I decided it was time to go stainless synthetic in the bolt actions . And back to Remington 7's and 700's I went . Now my bolt action group is composed of Mark X mausers , Remington's and a couple newer Winchesters .

But my lever actions are all MARLIN except for one Winchester 1894TD 30WCF of 1900 vintage .

For knives I've always been kinda easy going . Had a bunch of Buck's and a couple Gerber's and Kershaws . Now I use the Kershaw's that I've always had along with a Beretta knife and I sorta collect Marble's knives .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Mike D. wrote:Wouldn't you know it, Cabelas has my "dream gun", an 1886 Extra Lightweight in .50 EX, in their Gun Library. The gun is complete with the small ramp on the nickel steel barrel and Lyman 21 sight. Gee, and only 28 grand! THAT is far out of my reach, but someone will eventually hook it. :shock: :cry:
Go to Cabella's and tell them you wanna put it on the easy payment plan !

And if you're like me the easy payment plan would take me about 56 years to pay the principle on a $28,000 rifle :D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I left out the shotgun aspect of the thing !

My first shorguns were single barrel H&R's and Iver Jonson's . When they deemed me ready for more then a single barrel I gravitated to Parker's , Smith's and Fox's with a couple British guns thrown in for good measure !

I was never allowed to purchase an 870 , 1100 or Model 12 when I was younger . My father said shoot SxS or O/U . So thats what I learned to shoot with and to this day I actually prefer SxS bird guns . Matter of fact my two latest bcukshot shotguns are both SxS . The newer being a Remington Sparten 12 gauge 20" barreled 12 gauge with single trigger and screw in chokes and NO exposed hammers . My other buckshot gun is my maternal grandfathers old W.C Scott SxS 10 gauge although this old bird has 2 7/8" chambers and 32" barrels . It's also damascus , but I've run across a load Ross Seyfried uses in his 10 gauge damascus that just happens to be a W.C. Scott SxS as well ! I've been shooting a little trap and skeet with the old 10 gauge and even though she's choked full and full I can usually break about 20-22 on the skeet field and 23 or 24 on the trap field . So it should do fine for 20-30 yard deer with 10 pellets of "OO" Buck .

Once I got older and started shooting alot of trap and skeet I had a number of O/U's mostly Citori's , 3200's , a Franchi 2005 and my K32 .

And I gotta say if they never made another O/U shotgun besides the Krieghoff K32 or K80 for the rest of my life I would be happy ! Beretta , Perazzi and Browning have nothing on a Krieghoff ! Not to say the others aren't nice guns but for me the Krieghoff is the epitome of target shotguns as well as preserve/ gentlemans quail guns as far as an O/U is concerned .

For SxS I gotta say I have been a Parker fan for well on 35 years ! And a bit after that I became a big British SxS fan as well .

For a pump which I have owned a few in later years I am hard pressed not to put the Model 12 at the top of the list especially in a 16 or 20 .

In an automatic I gotta say the Benelli Super Black Eagle II is hard to beat but then my main use for one of these is for buckshot !

Oh yeah before I stop the #1 pistol/revolver for me is a 22LR . A year ago I might have said a S&W 629 or a Sig of some description . But since I inherited my maternal grandfathers Colt Scout that he purchased new in 1962 that going to be my most favored handgun bar none and not because of what it is or what it can and cannot do . But rather based on where it came from !
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

The reasons I lean towards Marlin have already been covered.
One is cost, once I got past current offerings I couldn't afford a Winchester.
2 is simplicity. Almost as important as cost in my case. I started buying pieces & building guns I couldn't afford or find. Its very easy to put a Marlin together & get it working compared to a Winchester.
They are at opposite ends of the spectrum regarding complexity. I do like the 92 & 86 Win actions very much though.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The Win.`73` for it`s good looks.
The Win.`94` for it`s rugged dependibility and good looks.

But the ones I like the most are the Marlins 1894/336/1895 for
their simple design,dependibility,and shootability/accuracy not to mention the price they can be had for! :D
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

All I ever saw or shot growing up was Winchester rifles, 1873's 1892's and 1894 30-30 and 32sp. I was about 17 when I first saw a Marlin 30-30, did see a few Savage 99 rifles. All I own are Winchesters and 2 Rossi carbines, as far as leverguns that go.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Marlin Levers -- Simple, effective design, side ejection, durability, decent trigger pulls out of the box (most of the time), and although quality has suffered from time to time, given the street price they are an exceptional value. Nothing against the 1894 Winchester, but the Marlin doesn't show it's guts every time the lever is worked, and removing one screw allows the shooter to clean the Marlin from the breech. JMO, you Winchester fans at home, K?

S&W Revolvers -- Collectively the S&W Hand Ejector and its progeny are simply the definitive double action revolver ever made. I was hooked as a kid in the 60's looking at dark, glossy blued S&Ws in their two-piece gray or blue boxes in the display case of my town's hardware store. And after I bought my first one, a 6" Model 28, I was off to the races. Key points: Ejector rod latches at the front (unlike Colt revolvers), world-class trigger pulls on pre-internal lock guns, durability, dependability. IMO, if J M Browning designed revolvers, they'd look suspiciously like S&W Hand Ejectors.

1911 Automatic Colt Pistol -- What S&W is to revolvers, the 1911 is to autos, and the 1911 is the "AK" of autos. Actually, the AK is the 1911 of assault rifles, more correctly put. Simple, reliable, functional, easily customized if desired. Practice enough with it and the right loads and you can hit just about anything you want out to 50-75 yds or so. I can, but I've been shooting 1911s since 1965 and worked on hundreds of them as an armorer (2111) in the USMC in the 70s and into the 80s. And J M Browning designed it, so "Ya know it's gotta be good!"

Ithaca 37 Pump Shotgun -- Another J M Browning design originally in producton by Remington but bought out by Ithaca and I'm very glad they did. IMO one of the strongest pump shotgun designs ever built. Feeds and ejects out the bottom, so the receiver is symmetrically stronger without a side ejection port. Most models don't have a disconnector so you can hold the trigger and empty the gun by working the slide. Many folks don't believe that sort of fire is effective, but given practice you'd be surprised what you can hit, and how fast it can be hit with the 37. Sorta like Jerry Miculek emptying a S&W revolver in 1.7 seconds and hitting the target. The Ithaca 37 design is robust, and easy to work on.

4-5/8" 1873 Colt Single Action -- None of mine actually say "Colt," and were likely assembled by Giuseppe, Paolo, Vito, Giovanni, Luca, etc, but the 4-5/8" 1873 is the quintessential "Old West" sixgun, courtesy of Hollywood. A ground-breaking design, the 1873 SA is again simple, effective, easy to work on, and reasonably reliable if not abused. Every gun nut needs one or seven. The 4-5/8" barrel length lends an esthetic balance to the revolver that is most pleasing to these halfway to 108 eyes. YMMV.

The Mauser Bolt Action Rifle -- Keeping with the Noah Zark theme, the Mauser is simple and reliable and a snap to maintain. It is also the most definitive bolt action, since pretty much most of the commercial boltguns were patterned off the Mauser, with some slight mods to extractors and ejectors to reduce cost. I like the Models 98 and 38 Swedish and the Model K98k the most.

The Fusil Automatique Leger ("FAL") -- IMO the most ergonomic and user friendly, semi-auto 20-rd detatchable box magazine fed, "I-mean-business" squirrel rifle ever built. To hold one, use one, and disassemble/assemble one is to love the FAL. My Imbel-built Springfield SAR48 FAL is my go-to gun if the fecal matter comes in contact with the power ventilating equipment impeller.

The M1 Rifle, the "Garand" -- The single most recognized weapon of the mid 20th century conflicts, and together with once-matchless American industrial production might and the A-bomb was one of the single most important factors in the Allies winning WWII. Fed the right fodder and properly greased and kept, the M1 keeps running and running and is as accurate as a military semi-auto needs to be if not moreso. Saint John Cantius Garand is right up there with Saint J M Browning in my book; my late father carried an M1 in SoPac for three years from mid 1943 to mid 1945 and he credited the M1 for his making it home. I credit John Garand and the M1 for me being able to type this.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I like playing with Winchester 94s inside and out.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Go to Cabella's and tell them you wanna put it on the easy payment plan !

And if you're like me the easy payment plan would take me about 56 years to pay the principle on a $28,000 rifle :D[/quote]

Yhat particular rifle has a long history. I have been in contact with a couple of major collectors who are familiar with this gun, It first sold several years ago for a little over $8K. It was again sold for $12K a few years back, a price that should be on it today. The contention is that 18K would be tops, but it is believed that Cabela's took it in for somewhere in the vicinity of $25K, attempting to sesell it for $40K. They have been sitting on this Winchester, and several other rare guns with condition issues, ever since. I spoke with them about this and they are not wanting to take a loss at this time. I also know what they paid for the .45-90 WCF TD in their inventory, and I have suggested a $300 profit to give the rifle to me. They declined, despite the fact that it has a few problems. The photos make it look much better that it actually is, something that they are particularly adept at. The ability to pay their exorbitant prices over time is why many of these guns sell. I won't be among them. :|