Your favorite Pistol/Revolver?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Your favorite Pistol/Revolver?

Post by rjohns94 »

Marlinman,
that K-22 is SWEET! One of the pistols I have never shot or owned. Something is definately wrong with my priorities!!! :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

My favorite right now is my .510 GNR .I say right now because I have a couple more in the works :D Something tells me a Ruger Single Six converted to a bisley 38 Super five shot will move to the front of the line :) Image
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Foxtrapper,

We need more info on that pistol/caliber. Beautiful work.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

44LVR wrote:
Meeteetse wrote:It is interesting to me how many have selected SA revolvers as their favorite. Must be a lot of us who grew up with the Saturday Matinee western. . . . :D
More than interesting, pretty darned cool! :mrgreen:

In my own defense, I grew up in a household where only leverguns and and single actions resided. An old '92 32-20 converted to .357 and a Ruger Flattop in the same caliber. And my own old 1939 25-35...... :D

My Mom had/has a first year production Ruger Bearcat too.

And I grew up in a house where there was NO TV and rarely ever got into town to see a movie at the theater...... :shock:

Where did you grow up? I grew up in central Wyoming and there were two movie theaters in our town, one for movies for "grown-ups" and one that had mostly Disney, the Saturday Westerns, monster movies, newsreels, and Rocketman. Didn't have TV until about 1962, but it wasn't very good anyway.

I didn't know there was anything except lever guns and single actions until I was a teenager and saw the war movies. In any case I don't think I missed much. I still like levers and single actions. Still have a Winchester 94 that was my Dad's (1947 vintage) and a Ruger Single-six from the late 50's or early 60's.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

rjohns94 wrote:Marlinman,
that K-22 is SWEET! One of the pistols I have never shot or owned. Something is definately wrong with my priorities!!! :lol:
Thanks! Bought that K22 from a friend's father back in 1981 for a hefty price (back then!) of $150. I didn't want to pay that much, but was intrigued that it still had the box, papers and all the tools.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Hello, I would say my favorite is the Colt on top, No, wait,,,,the Colt on the bottom....Hmmm, no,.. the Colt on the top!.. Yes, that is the one,... the Colt on the bottom! :lol:
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
stinkycat
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stinkycat »

My favorite handgun, had this one to the range one morning when I got back to the shop and was cleaning it turned on the radio and heard a plane had hit the world trade center. Went up to the house, gun and shop cloth still in hand turned on tv just as the second plane hit. Got some preban ivory made the grips, had
brian Powley put some engraving,parkerized it and carry it every day. Image
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

StinkyCat,

LOVE that pistol!!!!
Mike Johnson,

JLB
Levergunner

Post by JLB »

Colt Enhanced Delta Elite 10mm customized and refinished by Cogan's/Accurate plating.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

My first love is my 1st pistol bought by me. (629 backpacker 44mag)
2nd is my everyday carry gun(649- 357mag)
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's a hard question. It depends on what is required of me or the piece.

The one I reach for the most, when I'm not working is my Colt SAA 3rd gen. in 45 Colt.

The other one is when I'm working and there's no option.

Old Law Dawg
rusty gunns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rusty gunns »

This thread really warmed my heart.

At 19 (1967) I was in the jungles of South east Asia with the 1st Cav. Carried one of those first M-16's (Hatted it) but also carried a S&W Modle 10 with a 4" bbl. That shooter cam in real handy.

Then in 1970 I became a police Officer. My department issued the S&W Model 15 with adjustable sights (loved that gun). Had a Modle 10 2" as a back up. Then went under cover for 3 years and carried a Walther PP in .380 filled with Super Vels (remember them?).

Then I came back to uniform and carried the 15 again with a 66 2" as a back up. All in all I carried that Model 15 for 16 years and loved it.

Then we transitioned to the Glock 19's ( A good gun indeed) And carried a Kimber Combat pro II off duty.

Retired and bought two 45 long colts (Umberti) a cattleman 7" and a 4"

Then I got my favorite pistolas!

I picked up a matched pair of Umberti 1872 open tops. Put a 5 1/2" Barrel on one and shoot them Black Powder.

I think I've died and gone to heaven.
The problem using historical quotes in your signature is that there is no way to verify its authenticity.
-Abraham Lincoln

Pair of Colt 73 44-40 (1897)
Parker Bros 10 Gauge (1878)
Winchester 73 44-40 (1881)
Marlin 89 38-40 (1891) Marlin 89 44-40 (1891)
Win 92 38-40 (1892)
Win 92 Short Rifle 44-40 (1901)
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

Meeteetse wrote:Where did you grow up? I grew up in central Wyoming and there were two movie theaters in our town, one for movies for "grown-ups" and one that had mostly Disney, the Saturday Westerns, monster movies, newsreels, and Rocketman. Didn't have TV until about 1962, but it wasn't very good anyway.
Morton Washington! Home of the Morton Loggers Jubilee! One movie theatre that I was able to get into town and see a movie maybe twice per year.
I didn't know there was anything except lever guns and single actions until I was a teenager and saw the war movies. In any case I don't think I missed much. I still like levers and single actions. Still have a Winchester 94 that was my Dad's (1947 vintage) and a Ruger Single-six from the late 50's or early 60's.
I didn't know anything but levers and single actions until I was able to start buying my own outdoor books, probably around 15 years old or so. I couldn't understand why someone would want to hunt with something as ugly as a bolt gun! Serious! 35 years later I own 1 bolt gun and the rest Levers. Levers and single actions are 99% of my hunting, 99.9% of my overall shooting :mrgreen:

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

I luv my sixguns.I presently own 2 Ruger SRH's in 454 casull(7.5" and the alaskan).I also have One Ruger NMBH in 45 LC.I have early S&W 36 and 60 in 38spl .But my favorite is my 4" S&W model 28-2 that is the first revolver I purchased.The 28 also was my first trigger and smooth up job I did when attending PCC in 1986.At that time I replaced the rear sight(whiteline) and hammer(from a model 29).The bore has been lapped with 5000+ rounds of lead.She shoots like a prewar 27.Deadly scary target accurate with any load hot or cold.I will hopefully be buried with that 28 smith. :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
BlueStateSaint
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlueStateSaint »

I'm shocked that no one has said this one yet!

Colt Python 6" .357 Magnum. I bought it off my father when I was 18. Actually, since I couldn't buy it from the dealer we used, I paid for it through my father. I don't carry it much anymore (the only time I carry is when hunting), because it's big, and it's in reeeeally nice shape. The ones I carry the most are either one of a pair of Smiths--either a 3" Model 60 in .38 Special, or a 3" Model 317 in .22 LR.
cavebear803
Levergunner

Post by cavebear803 »

My favorite pistol is with out a dougt my old 4 inch S&W m-19. When life is on the line this would be the first thing I picked up. And though I do not walk in the shadow much any more; when I do you can bet this one is with me. Even though now days I carry the sp101 357 my nephew gave me as a daily carry piece, I still will change to my 19 if and when I feel threatened!! It is one of the few things I had that survived our house fire last year. After every thing was done and we were digging through the ruble, my kid lifts up the remains of the two monthly gun rags that had been laying on my 19 on the floor and; surprise there it was with out a scratch on it!! My double 16 ga that was 3 feet from it looked like modern sculpture no wood and one barrel pointing each direction!!!
Everyday is a learning day!
Pain is good, pain is our friend, pain is the ONE TRUE constant in a changing world! Sargent David L. Meyers gone but not forgotten.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I've only had a few and, currently, I've only got three. Thus far, however, my all time favorite is shown below. It is an original Smith and Wesson 2nd Model American, shipped in 1873 according to the factory letter, and in 44 Russian caliber, the father of the 44 Special and the grandfather of the 44 Mag. I've packed this pistol into the wilderness, shoot it quite a bit, and practice a fast draw/shot with it. You'd think that with its 8" barrel, it would take a while for the barrel to clear the holster, but I was very surprised at how fast it comes out, cocks and shoots. It just seems to leap out of the holster into my hand, swing up, cock and fire all in one smooth motion. There is just something about this old sixgun that really appeals to me. The wear on either side of its barrel, especially near the muzzle, shows that it has done its share of holster time. The immaculate bore and chambers, shows both that it was well cleaned and that it spent its life in a very dry and arid part of the US, likely the southwest. What was it like in 1873 when it first rode the west? Who bought it and what did he do? All of these questions come to mind. I shoot it quite a bit and I handle it a lot, looking at it, wondering, and feeling the Old West in my hand. Yet it still does duty 135 years later out in the Canadian wilderness. I'm also surprised at how snugly it fits against my body in the cross draw position. My load puts a 256 grain Keith cast bullet out the barrel at 780 fps. The three photos below show it 'working' out in the remote wilderness, as I prepare to fell a tree for the evening fire, as well as the two sides in a more 'desktop photo' arrangement. I'm glad to share this old sixgun with you all and hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by KirkD on Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Edited to remove double post.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

My 629 Classic with 5" barrel. The double action on this gun is unreal.
penates
Levergunner

Post by penates »

My favorite is a s&w m10 with a 4 inch taper barrel.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Kirk, a beautiful and unique working gun. I view this one as the direct decendant although this is the only work it has ever done. It does have 6000 + rounds through it though. From my records I see that two days ago was the 20th anniversary of my first handloads through it - a 246 grain bullet and 5.0 gr of Bullseye. It would appear that I tried 42 different handloads through it. 12.5 of 2400 and a 240 SWC was the one pictured and that was probably similar to your load in velocity.

Last edited by Old Savage on Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Kirk, I really like the looks of that S&W. I find the longer I tramp this earth the more I gravitate to the old guns. Maybe it's because I'm reverting to my childhood in which I watched all those old westerns. One caveat is that I still have interest in things new and accurate.
Old Law Dawg
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I couldn't decide on just one. So it's either the 629 44 Mag, or the custom Springfield 1911 45acp. I actually bought that Springfield as a Mil-Spec model. I eventually spent as much on new parts as I did for the gun. But it is a great deal more accurate now and easier/more comfortable to shoot.

NRA Life Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Probably looked a lot like this one at one time. Although this has some upgrades too.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

O.S.O.K. wrote:This S&W 696 3" 44 Special is probably my favorite...

May I ask where you got your holster for your 696? I have a 696 Night Guard and would like a holster like that for it.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

No pistol fits my hand better. If there's one out there, I haven't found it yet... :wink: I need to find out if the Argie FM Detective uppers work with the SFS before grabbing one. If they do, I'll have my new carry piece.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Old Savage wrote:Probably looked a lot like this one at one time. Although this has some upgrades too.

Yep, except for the sights and wood grips. What is that rear sight on yours? Is it adjustable and is your slide milled?
NRA Life Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sights are Wilson Combat and are fixed and in the dovetail; it has a group gripper kit and a tungsten guide rod. I contoured the left edge of the spur on the grip safety with a file so it wouldn't bite my hand and cold blued it. The grips are from Kings. Here is another view.

I have had a couple of Colt Series 70s but I like this one better. And it is more accurate.