PRICE CHECK - What's this gun worth ??? Marlin 336w

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizzzly
Levergunner

PRICE CHECK - What's this gun worth ??? Marlin 336w

Post by Grizzzly »

I am looking at a coworkers gun to buy. It is a Marlin 336w, 30/30, microgroove 20" barrel. He bought it at Walmart about 5 years ago. It says Marlin on it but I don't see any serial #'s on it(not sure where they're supposed to be).It has maybe 100 rounds through it but he said the first time he cleaned it most of the bluing came off . He's not sure what he cleaned it with, something a friend gave him, something for guns.?.?. It also has a gold trigger which I thought was strange. Other than the bluing, I don't see any problems with it, it has an adjustable rear sight and hooded front bead. I can probably get it for $200 or less. What do you think? If I buy it, I may change to a straight stock & lever & get it coated in hardchrome or parkerized.
Thanks for the input,
John
Hunt safe, leave the land cleaner than you found it & pass on your love for the outdoors to someone else........'nuff said !!!
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: What's this gun worth ???

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I bought a 336W off of Gunbroker a few years ago. The 336W has the birch stock, not walnut. Got it for right at $200. It was in almost new condition. Fired very little and looked like new. Shot great with no problems. Since then I've put some $ in it. I changed the stock to a camo composite, added a Williams FP, and added a WWG trigger. It's set up to shoot 125gr. reloads.

I would think that with the economy like it is, you could pick 336W's up in great shape with good bluing for $200-$225. With the bluing being messed up on his, I'd think it would be worth less $, but that's just me.

:D
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Hobie

Re: PRICE CHECK - What's this gun worth ??? Marlin 336w

Post by Hobie »

Bluing removed like that, I wouldn't give more than $150 tops. Any other issues take off more dollars. # of rounds supposedly fired (or not) are inconsequential. My take would be that if it looks abused, it is.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

I bought a Marlin .30-30 last week. Paid $370 new. It's got the gold trigger as well. Not sure what's up with that.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

I bought a used 336W in excellent condition (like new) last month for $280 out the door at my favorite gunstore.Walmart and Dick's sporting new price runs from $370(regular price) to $347 (when discounted for store promotional sale).The 336W model features a goldplated trigger and Williams adjustable rear sight.Sounds like your friend used a Stainless Steel Gun cleaning cloth(various manfactures)which will remove the Bluing from any Blued gun.I wouldn't pay over $150 for the gun you describe.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm with Hobie; $150 is tops for a gun without bluing. If it doesn't have a serial number, then don't even touch it! It may have been so heavily polished that the number is polished off. This makes it illegal according to BATF. You'd need to pull the buttstock and get the serial number from the top left side of the tang, and then have it restamped on an exposed surface. -Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

One of my Marlins has the S/N under the lever on the bottom tang . Pull down on the lever and look there if you haven't tried already . Few days back ,I'm not sure what forum but they were discussing other spots for the numbers...........

........................Mutt