ID Help

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rost495
Levergunner 1.0

ID Help

Post by rost495 »

Trying to ID a gun and caliber. Has no caliber markings I could see. Reciever looks brass or brass color. Winchester lever gun. Yellow Boy? Like maybe 1876? I'm just guessing without research.

Anyway it remarks on the barrel, Winchester etc.. Kings Patent etc... and dates of what looks like 1866 and 1860.

Barrel end is fairly large. I am thinking 44-40 but could be off, looks to be 44 or 45 but had no access to calipers when shown the gun.

Serial 101XXX.

Thanks for any help. Its beat up pretty good. Stock is loose, all screw heads are buggered. Looks like someone made a lanyard loop and stuck in on one side of the reciever. Reciever does not work correctly, IE you lever it open and it won't close unless you push the "shell lift or carrier" back down again.

Top is open mostly, save the round rod that has the pin and extractor in it. Just a description.

Thanks, Jeff
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: ID Help

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Can you post some pics!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rost495
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rost495 »

sorry, don't have a camera and only had a chance to look at it in the back of a guys truck. I"ll have to google and see if I can find a link then.
rost495
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rost495 »

Quick search lead to Uberti 1876 and it looks like those except they don't have a picture from the top, to see if its open. Has that lock looking thing for the lever too.

Also had a trapdoor in the buttstock.

Forgive my levergun ignorance here.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Unmarked w/ brass frame sounds like a Winchester 1866 to me ... especially given the patent dates on the barrel. I would guess it's in 44RF if it's a '66. Though I suppose there's a chance it's 44-40 as well.

Is this it ... http://www.rarewinchesters.com/gunroom/ ... l_66.shtml
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jeff,

By your description, the only Winchester that had a brass receiver was the 1866. It was chambered for the .44 Henry Rim fire cartridge. The lanyard loop you mention is probably the saddle ring staple. The Kings Patent refers to the loading gate on the side.

Pictures would be much helpful, but in lieu of that here's the link to Cimarrons 1866 page. http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Repeat ... s/1866.htm

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rost495
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rost495 »

I can figure out how to look for the firing pin... hadn't thought of rimfire.

Here is the next question, I"m assuming its probably an 1866 now, is 44 rimfire made anymore? The owner wants to shoot it, I"m not in the know of things like that. Other than I know where some old boxes of 32 rimfire are thats about it. Don't know if its made new or not.

Thanks, I'll attempt some pictures if I can get to it when the guy has it.

Jeff
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

rost495 wrote:I can figure out how to look for the firing pin... hadn't thought of rimfire.

Here is the next question, I"m assuming its probably an 1866 now, is 44 rimfire made anymore? The owner wants to shoot it, I"m not in the know of things like that. Other than I know where some old boxes of 32 rimfire are thats about it. Don't know if its made new or not.

Thanks, I'll attempt some pictures if I can get to it when the guy has it.

Jeff
Look at the face of the bolt. If rimfire you'll see to holes on the edge(s) of the bolt face. If centerfire you'll see one hole in the center of the bolt face. If a brass receiver and old it is more than likely an 1866.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rost495
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rost495 »

Thanks. Jeff
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I think I've seen 44 rimfire (new) ammo for sale. VERY expensive! Remember you can't reload rimfire cases. I would be very concerned about firing it if the description you gave was accurate. A gunsmith would need to look it over first. In any condition an 1866 Winchester has a fair value. In good condition they are quite valuable. I wouldn't shoot it it was mine.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

In the back of a pickup truck? What the hey?
Old Law Dawg
rost495
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rost495 »

My bad, back seat.....

Can't shoot the gun until we do a chamber cast. No need in a chamber cast unless ammo is available.

Jeff