Small and Tender

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Small and Tender

Post by k8bor »

I've hunted like crazy this year for something with antlers, but no luck. The only buck I saw all season was a really nice 4-point right in my front yard the weekend between regular deer season and black powder season.

The grandkids won't be here this year because they are a Military family stationed in Portugal right now, so I thought I might practice my marksmanship with this year's acquired 1895CB. I had a late season doe permit, and since I simply wanted something good to eat, I set myself up about 75 yards off a trail and waited.

The load was a 365 grain ranch dog cast out of ww pushed by 15 gr. of Unique. This load is tack driving accurate in my rifle, and apparently punches holes through whitetails like cardboard. My first .45-70 game. I actually heard the bullet hit this deer, and there was a nice plug of hair right on the ground at the shot point. I shot her double lung on purpose to save the roasts, but she didn't get anymore than about 25 yards.

The more I shoot this rifle, the more attached to it I get. Thanks for looking.
de k8bor

Dave
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Small and Tender

Post by Borregos »

Nice one k8bor, congratulations, I'm still waiting for my first 45-70 game :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That is a fine north MI deer. In my younger days we ate a lot of deer from your area, we camped on the Manistee river west of Grayling.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Good shooting.Easy to drag too. I to use the cowboy and it is a keeper I have thought of trying Ranch Dogs mould it sure looks to work ok without expansion.I doubt you could stop that bullet in any deer within 125 yards from any angle. I wish he made a 300 gr bullet I guess I would of been a 45/90 man in the day.
How fast is that load you used ?
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

I've never chronoed it, but I'm thinking about 1,300. It's puff pastry soft to shoot. The accuracy is what I like.

I'm fast becoming a believer in slow heavy bullets regardless of the trajectory. I'm very lucky as where I live I have my own range and can practice all I want. I've been living in the woods for 16 years now and still pinch myself twice and month to make sure I'm not dreaming.
de k8bor

Dave
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

A neat story. I especially like anything to do with cast bullets in big rifles.
k8bor wrote:I'm fast becoming a believer in slow heavy bullets regardless of the trajectory.
That's a meat gettin' combination :mrgreen:

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

JerryB,

The Grayling area is still probably much the same as you remember. Aside of different restaurants in town and a few businesses changing owners, nothing outside of town has changed very much in a lot of years.

This area doesn't do too much growth wise as all the government owned land. I like it here and never plan to move.
de k8bor

Dave
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I love it! Cast bullet, Unique and an 1895 Cowboy. That Cowboy model turns my crank.
Congrats k8bor!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations, looks like fine eating! :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

nice! great rifle and congrats on a good hunt.
I too am a confirmed doe hunter who loves to have meat in the freeze.
thanks for posting w/ pics.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Christmas dinner!....
That will be some tender meat...
Congrats
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Congrats and tender tasty :D !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Good Job.
Those yearling Mi does are good eating. 8)
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/