Whatever Happened To The Old West ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Whatever Happened To The Old West ?

Post by Pete44ru »

mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Re: Whatever Happened To The Old West ?

Post by mod71alaska »

Thanks, Pete. That brought back a lot of memories! I didn't know so many of my heroes had passed on to happier hunting grounds. Of course, I don't recognize the old man in the mirror, either! Growing up in the late 1940s and 1950s was a great time. There were heroes everywhere, and I day dreamed I was the guy wearing the white hat riding the mighty steed doing good deeds and protecting the pretty lady! I don't think kids have heroes today capturing their imaginations to be the good guy. It's too bad. That was a great time to grow up, wasn't it!!!
Last edited by mod71alaska on Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Man, I enjoyed that!

I've felt that Hollywood has gone down hill over the last 20 years or so.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

ED
Yer never too old
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

HOLY MOLY...BIG LUMP IN THROAT TIME, GUYS. I TOO GREW UP, WELL, GOT OLDER ANYWAYS, DURING THE FORTIES AND FIFTIES. IT WAS A WONDERFUL TIME !!! THE ONLY MOVIES I'LL GO SEE NOW ARE THE FEW WESTERNS BEING MADE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

i'm with mod71alaska...

i remember johnnie mack brown, laurel and hardy, abbott and costello, NO TV's until later, howdy doody, lash larue, col tim mccoy, flash gordon, don winslow of the navy, sky king... geeeeeeeeeeeeeee

my dad taught me to swim in a u.s. cavalry horse watering trough when we lived at ft riley, KS after WWII...i also remember seeing real horse mounted cavalry troopers there in their campaign hats, high boots and sam brown gear...mom still has pictures of it.

life did seem much simpler didn't it? chasing tadpoles, frogs, garter sankes, treeing 'coons, chasing your dog thru knee deep snow, watching in awe as a snapping turtle took your fish from a stringer, watching a water moccasin swim across the pool you're playing in without realizing what it is...

those days are long gone...delegated to the pages of history...gone like a will-o-wisp...like smoke in the breeze...present only in our memories and in fading photographs stiffening and cracking apart in long lost shoe boxes and scrap books. :cry:
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

donw...

Your prose and snapshot recollections just choked me up! To have those heroes and the freedom to grow up curious and free! "Go on out and play and be home by 6!" If I came home too dirty or late I might get a swat on the butt, but everyone still was happy at the end of the day when I was tucked into bed (to dream about more adventures!) It was the best of times to grow up in. I knew I wanted to go to Alaska since I was six or seven. I learned to "Dream dreams, then do them well." For the most part my boyhood heroes were on TV and in Outdoor Life. You guys who take your sons or daughters or a neighbor kid with you shooting and hunting are doing it right. You're the real heroes!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Thanks for posting that, Pete. Many of those folks died far too young,

I once picked up Pernell Roberts when his '61 Porche broke down on a local freeway and drove him in my '66 912 over to my mechanic, who repaired his machine. We corresponded for some time and then he disappeared. I have also shot ducks with High O'brien. That man is piece of work with a shotgun! :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

Loved it. Watched it twice. But, It made me feel old... I remember getting off the school bus each day and watching some of those old movies with a glass of fresh cows milk and a big piece of cornbread.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I watched "Cattle Empire" with Joel McCrea today, while off sick with a bug.
Those old Westerns sure lift the spirits when you feel like C&#p. :)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

:D :D :D

If this was still the primary enterainment available, instead of the filth and garbage that passes for entertainment today, we'd have half as many problems as a country. And we wouldn't be staring at the prospect of "President-Elect Obama"!!! :shock:
stormspotter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by stormspotter »

It came from here. http://objflicks.com/ Scroll down and turn your speakers on. Lots of memories on there.
Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose. Some words give you a feeling. Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat . . . . Some words can give you a feeling that makes your heart warm. Republic is one of those words.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

As my good old friend Matt said before he passed away - "all the great men are dead and I ain't feeling so good myself" - he was an old cowboy.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Southern Man
Levergunner

Post by Southern Man »

That made me Holler ,Yeeeee Haaaaa !!!!
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

Hobie, arent the Statler Bros from around your neck of the woods? Maybe Staunton IIRC. I really enjoyed watching that. Thanks for posting the link Pete.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You fellas are most entirely welcome, that's fer sure !

My faves were Hopalong Cassidy & John Wayne - but (for me) the video saddened me, realizing all who were now GONE, and that I won't be all that far behind.

It did make me remember gettin' switched for swiping the cream off'n the top of every milk bottle I could find unattended after the milkman made his deliveries, though. ;)

I'm glad to have grown up during the 40's & 50's, and don't think I'd much like to be a youngster nowadays, Thank you. :roll:

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

WOW ! Love it. Thanks !!! :D