Where to get parts for Puma?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Where to get parts for Puma?

Post by AJMD429 »

Say some dummy (not me, no way :oops: ) got into my stuff and (yeah, that's it, I must have left the door unlocked) took out one of the screws on my Puma so he could put in a B-Square mount, then lost that screw....

Are Puma parts available?

What if I wanted a spare extractor, ejector, firing pin, or whatever. Since I now have a couple Pumas, having some spare parts might be a good idea, plus whatever idiot lost that screw.... (I swear it wasn't me :wink: )

Can I just 'order' parts from Legacy, or what...?

(I think I posted this question before on the old forum but I don't know if I ever printed or saved the answer - maybe the guy that lost my gun screw also deleted the file from my computer...)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Where to get parts for Puma?

Post by CowboyTutt »

AJ, I don't remember what thread it was, maybe my own on "no more 454 Pumas" but someone indicated he had been waiting for 8 months to get his Puma back from Legacy and they finally confessed that they did not have any spare parts! So they are providing him with a new Chiapa Puma instead.

I would contact Legacy to be sure this is accurate info if I was you, then I would call or PM Steve Young to see if he has any parts available. You might also check with Mike at M&M gunsmithing who was/is the factory warrenty repair guy for Pumas. He's in Alexandria, Virginian if memory serves. Nice fella.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Curiousgb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Curiousgb »

CowboyTutt wrote:AJ, I don't remember what thread it was, maybe my own on "no more 454 Pumas" but someone indicated he had been waiting for 8 months to get his Puma back from Legacy and they finally confessed that they did not have any spare parts! So they are providing him with a new Chiapa Puma instead.

I would contact Legacy to be sure this is accurate info if I was you, then I would call or PM Steve Young to see if he has any parts available. You might also check with Mike at M&M gunsmithing who was/is the factory warrenty repair guy for Pumas. He's in Alexandria, Virginian if memory serves. Nice fella.

-Tutt
I am the guy who waited 8 months. They did not replace my Puma with a Chiapa. They replaced it with a Rossi. You can try call LSI they might have a stock of some parts available. With me they could not order parts from the factory. Rossi/Taurus will still be making the 92's, and I would assume that what fits the interarms models would fit the LSI models. Try Steve @ Steve's Gunz, great guy.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

IMNSHO, "spare parts" for a Puma would be -- another Puma.... Have had to fix far too many of 'em, and the only recent source of parts I know of has been NKJ, aka Steve's Guns...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

GB, sorry for the confusion. Thanks for posting. AJMD, I told you once I would get back to you on what was wrong with my Puma and I suspect many Puma's. Here's what my friend Mic had to say. Maybe Buck has seen this problem too!

"It was the ejector that was proud. Correct is zero or negative -- the ejector should never restrict rearward case movement in any gun with the action locked. I have no idea how proud the ejector originally was in your gun but it was still several thousandths proud and significant battering had already occurred (ejector surface area is far too small to support the entire thrust loading of the 454 with anything but the mildest of loads). In JJs 480, the ejector was proud at least 15/1000-inch!"

Rossi sure has poor control of tolerances :roll:

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Curiousgb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Curiousgb »

I wouldn't count on LSI for anything. Hopefully their new "Italian" made Puma's will be better. Doesn't really matter to me. I still won't buy one, just the principle of the whole fiasco.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks for suggestions; I'll check some out.

I agree on the frusturation with Puma/Legacy, although with the taxes/regulation our nation seems so fond of nowdays, it is surprising there are ANY U.S. manufacturers still in business. They killed off Winchester (among many other gunmakers), but so far Marlin is hanging in there for us, and that's good. Ruger & Mossberg & Savage too.

Of course Marlin is really Remington now...

I just wish 'Marlin' would be more RESPONSIVE to customer imput (how much would it cost to allow e-mail or website-entered feedback, vs. the 'P.R.' it would generate?). There are many concepts and suggestions we users have that if they listened to it might make them some money.

At least I 'try' - I have more Marlins (and Rugers) than Pumas, so I'm doing my best to support 'U.S. made!'

Still I like that open-top slick design, even if it has too many little parts.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "