OT Got me a 308.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

OT Got me a 308.

Post by Nath »

Collected the Rem 700 SPS tactical in 308w on Wednesday.
Thursday I threw two loads together using the Speer 110hp I used in the 94 and some Speer 150 I used in the 94.
I have a few choices of powder left over from my trials with the 94 and bullets and decided to use as much of it up before I buy any more.
I dumped 44grn of RL12 under the 110s and had enough for 36rds, striaght of they go about 11/2" group@110 paces :)
I have quite an amount of H322 and so dumped 40grn under a few Speer 150grners and they go a good 1" group.
I don't know how quick they are but if they are as quick as 30/30 (of which I suspect they are a little quicker) I'm happy.
With in 17 shots this rifle was taking fox's.
Taken @ 100ish from my vehicle and a red light in very windy conditions which allways seems to confuse fox!
Later I took another resting on a gate post at a good 100 that came to a squeal, a big'n.
I'll post that pic in a mo.
Both were taken with the 110 loads and they bust'm up good!
First impressions of this black gun are; I like it, more so than the Tikka T3. It is nice feeling confident again. I don't miss the last 94AE I had but I do miss the one I had years ago now, that one shot and I foolishly let it go mainly because folk made me think it was not good enough for deer. I was younger and even more dumber than now I guess :roll:

Now I only own a 9422 I will fully understand if folk don't wish me to post pics of the Rem in action on this good levergun site, just tell me.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Got me a 308.

Post by Nath »

Here is that other snap taken by my friend.

Good sport!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Nath wrote:Here is that other snap taken by my friend.

Good sport!

Nath.
Sticking his tongue out at you...defiant to the end! :lol:

Good shooting and I think a good .308 of any flavor would be welcome here. :wink:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Congrats! I am kinda surprised that you can own that there though... I guess it all depends on your occupation and the local constabulatory huh?

And I would've expected a .223 but the .308 is way more versitile.

Great pics -thanks for sharing those! :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Well spotted O.S.O.K. a few years ago it would not of happened but recently folk have made inroads to the licensing people that some folk only want one rifle to do everything from deer to varmints such as fox.
With me allready convincing them a whiles back that I needed a 30/30 for fox it was pretty striaght forward for them with what they see as just another 30.
Yes some constablatory are not so friendly though.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nath - I would be interested in any of your posts/pics - certainly more so than many of the OT threads we get. We could always start separate leverguns section. :) Just kidding! I know we have been up and down this road and I start some of the OTs myself. :o

That should be a fine accurate rifle. All my Remington bolts are.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

[quote="Old Savage"]Nath - I would be interested in any of your posts/pics - certainly more so than many of the OT threads we get.

+1

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Good post Nath, always enjoy them!
Keep on posting, we know you are a levergunner at heart :!: :!: :!:
The 308 is a great cartridge.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Nath, I all ways look forward to you hunting exploits, keep on posting good man!
Tell us about your .308 for some reason I have been wanting a .308 bolt gun. I kinda like the looks of a scout rifle, but yours looks like a very handy piece.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Can you guys hunt deer or anything of the like in UK?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I just posted this question on the BP/England thread, but do you and your fellow gunnies make really extra effort to get the young people involved in the sport/fun aspect of shooting? If you can do that, maybe some of them will make the leap to the more boring/unfun aspect of preserving what little freedom you still have, or better yet - increasing it. I try to involve a new person (adult OR child) every single chance I get, and have tried to perfect the 'art' of customizing the experience for each person (i.e. some would NOT like hunting but are ok with paper targets, some handguns, some not, and ALL seem to do better with quiet and unintimidating 'pretty' guns at first.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I for one would greatly miss reading of your exploits, regardless of the tools used.

You give us a view of Britain we would never see anywhere else!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks guys :D

Salvo, yes I hate long guns, err no thats wrong. I prefere short guns for their handiness hence my liking carbine levers. I am glad to say this feels real handy :D

Yes OS we can hunt deer and the increasing boar population. Some authorities reason the national herd needs to lose a third in number.
Unfortunatly there ain't many by me :evil:

Say guys have any of ya loaded H4227 in 308? Got some of that but it may be too quick if used for high speed. Got any data?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I know that you have to be proud once again having a fine rifle that will take the 'ol sly fox and a deer when you can. Keep the post and photos coming.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

4227 is too fast for the 308 except for some specialty loads. 4895 or the like in speed is more the proper range. Lots of data around on that.
Last edited by Old Savage on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Yes thought so OS, I have h4895 and some bl-c2 for later on. I did get 200 mag primers in stock for the bl-c2.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

bl-c2 is the pefect powder for the 308. Great job on the latest fox. Great rifle I look forward to hearing of your exploits with the new gun. :)
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath, I just got back on line, lap top down most of the day :x

Glad to see you and your new rifle are already in tune! What ever gun you use you'll always be a levergunner :wink:

I'm still trying to get my local police to Okay a 30/30 for fox, one firearms officer said he would Okay it but he works a different area to me. I keep looking at this Winchester 94 Antique Model at my local toy shop, it looks little used and in very good shape. I have almost given up on finding a 32/20.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

There is little reason why they won't nowadays. Just play on you shoot alot in timber and light superfast bullets only have to touch a blade of grass and they miss the fox and how shooting them with shotguns causes wounding and lost crippled fox's. Nationally a 22 is generally reguarded not enough for fox etc.
I was offered a 357 for the job but played on the 30/30 being of use on deer etc.
My 94 was a lemon, one of the last ones made and I suspect the barrel it self to blame probably not stress relieved properly. The cross bolt safty model I had was a shooter, I can remember whacking two crows at 150ish yds on seperate occasions amongst other stuff so don't be put off by my bad luck and go for it :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath,
When I had a Rossi .357 carbine the local police would not allow it for any use but target shooting at my club! :x So I bought a .22 Hornet, which GK Jr. now has. I'm sure individual firearms officers make up their own rules as they go along. :roll:

My 9422M has proved it self fine for foxes but never having had a 30/30 I feel I'm missing out on a legend! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nath I enjoy your posts too. I have a ( or I should say Jr. now has) a Remington 700 Varmint Synthetic in .308. I also have a Ruger #1 in .308. they both shoot about as well, but the Ruger is just a shade better. The Remington is about a 3/4" rifle. When I got mine the bore was pretty rough. I had to do a lot of cleaning time after time to keep the copper fouling at bay. It could still stand to have the bore fire lapped or polished. You might check your for fouling and see how it does.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Where did I get the obviously mistaken notion that Brits couldn't own firearms chambered in a military round?
The rifle and nice shootin'! :wink:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good job ole boy. I love your posts, Nath. Keep it up. And, I think, as already stated, you'd be welcome with a 50 BMG.

I love my Rem. PSS in 308. Used it for 10 years as a countersniper and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's an extremely accurate rifle. I've got some 223 brass I shot at 100 yds with it and put one round through one case and two through the second. Like I said, it's an extremely accurate rifle.
Old Law Dawg
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Nath, great photos as always! That second one looks like a big fox, glad he didn't give you any trouble. Your posts always honor the spirit of this forum; you'd be welcome here even if all you had was a.177 pellet rifle. Right now, I'm holding off hunting the coyotes. My main priority this winter is to get a friend of mine out and get him to shoot his first 'yote. And he has some equipment issues to take care of before we do that. Keep up the good work!
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Nath, do you eat fox? How about the pelts, do you use them? I'm just curious. Those are some fine looking critters.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The 308 can be loaded to any level you like. H4895 and IMR for that matter can be loaded down to about 60% with good accuracy - it is about the most flexible for that. BL C2 is a traditional favorite. With cast and pistol powders you can go very low in velocity and noise. Depending on the rilfe, you can get high speeds. I had a Kimber that shot as fast as most 30-06s.

44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

Old Savage wrote:Nath - I would be interested in any of your posts/pics
Absolutely! I LOVE your posts and even more, the photo's :D

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

You know Nath, I have GOT to either get over there or you over here so we can go hunting & get a picture together.

I have that exact cap. We look astonishingly alike.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Nath, I always appreciate your posts, OT or not. thanks and well done. Looks like you have a great fox weapon there.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, now that you mention it - I have never seen you guys together. :P

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wow! I'm just amazed that your government would let you own such a fine rifle. Congratulations!!! :D
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I think every gun lover should own at least one 308 mine being a 1916 Spanish Mauser but I put a Williams Peep so that I could drop the 300 yard zero of original sight. I load her up relatively mild about 7mm Mauser pressures. I'm taking her on a pig hunt one day, can't wait.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nath, going back to the H4227 question you had. Lyman have some cast bullet loads for IMR4227 which is just about identical. If you PM me with your email address I will send you copies of the relevant pages.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

You guys are the best :D

Borregos, PM to follow :D

Old Irons, as far as I know my Father did only make one trip to the states and err well he was one for the ladies and regularly got into a heap of trouble! He never wore a cap though, well not like ours anyway :roll:

The second fox was a bigg'n and no I don't eat'm.

Nath :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Nath wrote:You guys are the best :D

Borregos, PM to follow :D

Old Irons, as far as I know my Father did only make one trip to the states and err well he was one for the ladies and regularly got into a heap of trouble! He never wore a cap though, well not like ours anyway :roll:

The second fox was a bigg'n and no I don't eat'm.

Nath :D
Sounds like my Gramps when he was in the Air Corps in Britain fixing shot-up bombers... :wink: :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:lol: :lol: That explains where my engineering skills come from :lol: The bloke I thought was my Father was useless at fixing stuff :lol:

Nath :lol: :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!