Built a fire tonight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

Built a fire tonight

Post by 1886 »

It is a balmy 19 degrees outside in Central N.H. at the moment. A little snow is expected this evening. The twins had a basketball game this afternoon. B.C. got their butts kicked by VA. Tech. I made chicken soup for dinner. All ate well. After dinner I made a fire in the pit. We sat around enjoying that fire while listening to the radio coming from the truck. It was almost like being up at hunting camp. I was so tempted to run upstairs and grab the 86, just to cradle her. Now that is living. Nothing like a good fire. The boys really enjoyed it. I had a chance to try a new nectar, Sam Adams Irish Red. Hope you had a fire too. 1886.
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Built a fire tonight

Post by steveb »

Sounds like an evening well spent thats for sure. Thanks for sharing. :)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I made chicken soup for dinner.]

Yep - There's nothing like some Jewish penicillin, before an evening watching the flames dance over the top of a snifter ! 8)

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Yep, sounds fun. Good memories for the kids and you.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

1886 wrote:Hope you had a fire too. 1886.
I don't have much of a choice. The furnace died several years ago and as I have been heating with wood since 1981, I said to myself, why replace it when the money could be better spent on another '86, or maybe an elk hunt---you know, the important things in life :D ----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote:The furnace died several years ago and as I have been heating with wood since 1981, I said to myself, why replace it when the money could be better spent on another '86, or maybe an elk hunt---you know, the important things in life :D ----------Sixgun
We heat with wood too; I just didn't want to be forced to pay outrageous prices for emergency furnace repair or have someone tell me a $4,000 furnace needs replaced because the $5 part they'd gladly replace for $150 isn't made any more.

It sure makes you appreciate the comfort inside when you had to do it yourself though, and since we hunt in 'the back forty' it's nice to get a whiff of the wood smoke now and again when in the deer stands.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Tried to get a fire going but 35MPH winds and heavy snow keeps putt'n it out. Sounds idyllic, sure would be nice right now, wind chill is hoovering around -12F.
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Started the fire about mid September :wink:

I like most everything about heating with wood. My stove has a shaker grate and will burn lump coal also. We do so when the temps realy plummet below the minus thirty mark.

We have an oil backup (Monitor 40...very efficiant and dependable) that kicks on if I am out of town or particularly lazy. Good for the wife to know she will be warm even if she lets the fire go out (course, she would not let that happen if not for the backup now would she?)

I sure like stepping in from the frozen landscape and toasting myself next to the woodstove. How life was meant to be I think. I am always on the lookout for wood and justify most "outings" with the rifle as going to get a little wood. It is a fine day when I return with wood and a little game for the dutch oven. Garnish for the woodstove it is.

My best, keep the tootsies warm,

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I put in a Jotul fireplace insert with the chimney liner this year when they told me that my monthly oil budget would be 419,00. I live in a small older house and I convinced my wife that by burning wood we could use the money for college bills for my middle son.
I really enjoy the warmth and the fact that if the power goes out we still have no worries.
The only drawback is for the first time in my life I don't own a woodlot,so I have to keep a eye open for wood.
There is a calming effect in seeing a fire burn though and I still can here my grandfathers voice telling me as we cut wood that wood is the only heat source that heated twice when he cut it and when he burnt it. :D
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Try as man might to create entertaining un-natural diversions, I gotta agree.

There ain't nothin' like a fire.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Our weather has been unseasonably warm this year. Good for the ole bones but not so good for hunting, etc..

We have the electric house furnace that I only run at night to heat the underside of the house -- plumbing and we also have a Monitor MPI 441 heater that runs on red-dyed kerosene and a wood stove. I'm lazy and don't like to cut wood (painful to the ole bones) so we run the Monitor the most.

The other day some dummy ran into a telephone pole, knocked it over along with the transformer on it of course and it blew the power throughout most of our area for about two-hours. That's where the wood stove comes in handy. I was just getting ready to light a fire in it when the power came back on.

About six-years ago, we lost power for about sixteen-hours and the wood stove was put to use. Not only did it provide heat but it was what we (the wife) cooked on. Nothing smells better than food cooking in a cast iron skillet/frying pan on a wood stove.
ED
Yer never too old
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Man has come along way, but the primitive draw of watching a fire is undeniable.

Don't know how many times as a kid I burnt my back side warming myself up in the morning. Don't lose your balance or you'll have a neat branding on your toosh. :D
Old Law Dawg
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

kimwcook wrote:Man has come along way, but the primitive draw of watching a fire is undeniable.
:D
Man! Ain't that the truth! :D ------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Modoc Ed...arent those Monitors just the berries? Was not just all that long ago that I could burn No 1 Deisel cheaper than I could cut wood!

Our house is not as well insulated as it could be and that little heater will keep my two story 32x38 home toasty at minus fourty and still burn less than five gallons a day! I burned slightly less than 400 gals of fuel last winter through it and we had our share of "darn cold"

Minus 20 tonight. Lovely in the ol swamp at minus twenty. Had to pre-heat the snow machine today :(

My Best,

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

The price of fuel for the Monitor has gone down considerably this year. Last year it got up to about $4.10 a gallon. Had a delivery the other day and it was back down to $1.95 a gallon. I've got a 245-gallon tank and use on average 220-gallons a year (over an 8-month period). While the prices are low, I'm getting a 55-gallon oil drum to store some extra fuel in.
ED
Yer never too old
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

A fire is good medicine :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................