Marlin 1895 Cowboy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sw41mag
Levergunner

Marlin 1895 Cowboy

Post by sw41mag »

Hi guys,

I am considering getting a Marlin Cowboy in 45/70 (to go with my guide gun) and was wondering if anybody has one? Any thing to say about them, good or bad would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
When I fed the poor I was called a Saint. When I asked why the poor were hungry, I was called a communist.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Marlin 1895 Cowboy

Post by meanc »

Ive got one of the Marlin LTD V 24" half round half octagon barrel. Balance and shouldering is excellent with the pistol grip and very accurate too.

It's a heck of a lot of fun slinging them big ol heavy bullets down range, and with the Hornady Leverevolution it'll definitely reach out and tag some critters.

...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Nothing but good things to say. I have owned a couple. They shoot. Many of those early rifles wear Badger barrels. Cast bullets sized .459" to .460" should be ideal. Good Luck, 1886.
Last edited by 1886 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SR James
Levergunner

Post by SR James »

I have one. Very accurate. I would prefer a little more weight in the barrel but that's probably just me. It's a very good rifle.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Meanc,

Sorry to see that you got stuck with a rifle that got pulled out of the barrel mill before all those flat sides were rounded. I have a soft spot for unfinished guns, so I will help you by taking that one off of your hands. :D On your next trip to north Florida, just give me a call and we will make it happen.

Seriously, I am trying to make a decision between a Little Sharps in 38-55 or a Marlin 45-70 and if one of those were anywhere up here, the decision would be easy. Nice rifle.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Meanac - you need to sell me that gun :) I have the "stablemate" - the straight stock 24" half and half - Davidson's right?

I like mine. It's super light and very accurate. The longer sight radius is good for iron sights too.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

We have one, the full octagon barrel. My Son shoots it in CAS long range events. A very accurate rifle indeed. When he gets his next Elk hunt permit, hopefully next year he is going to use it for the hunt. He will use his Custom Mauser 270 as a back-up rifle.
This barrel is a tight one, slugs .457", We use .459" sized Laser cast 350 gr.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

IF I WOULD HAVE HAD TO, I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT EVERY MARLIN 45-70 GUIDE GUN MADE, POUNDED 'EM INTO THE GROUND, WELDED 'EM TOGETHER, AND BUILT A FENCE AROUND SOUTH DAKOTA JUST TO GET MY MITTS ON ONE OF THE ORIGINAL MARLIN 26" COWBOY 45-70's FROM A FEW YEARS AGO. I FOUND MINE WITH LYMAN RECEIVER AND GLOBE FRONT SIGHTS, PAID ENOUGH TO STARTLE THE OWNER BEFORE HE COULD SAY "NO" AND HAULED IT HOME.
THE ORIGINAL PRODUCTION LOT OF THE MARLIN COWBOY 45-70 WAS SO OUTSTANDING AS TO BEGGER COMPARISON.
I GOT MINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have one set up just for me with a fitted Simms, Marbles Tanger, and a Happy Trigger...it is not for sale and would be the last center fire rifle I'd get rid of...... Even better than the 1886EL Japchester.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Meanac - you need to sell me that gun I have the "stablemate" - the straight stock 24" half and half - Davidson's right?
OSOK - you need to sell me that gun I have the "stablemate" - the pistol grip stock 24" half and half - Davidson's 1 of 1000. :lol:
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

I dont think you'll regret getting an 1895 cb. mine is more accurate than any 22 rifle ive ever owned, easy to carry when in the field, just a pleasure to shoot.
g rice
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

I have one of these, and I wonder whether we are talking the same gun!

It has a small, hard buttplate. And, it's fairly light. So, if you put any kind of heavy load into it, it's going to whack you pretty hard. I don't call that "a pleasure to shoot", unless you are only talking SASS loads.

The rear sight, while perhaps "period", is worthless for hitting anything. So you need receiver sights (or at least I do). But my gun was not drilled for such. I had to cook up something that would work with the drilled holes on top. Does that make any sense on a gun like this? Drilled for a scope, but not for a receiver sight? :roll:

The dovetail for the front sight leaves a paper-thin slice of steel between it and the bore. Makes me nervous.

Don't get me wrong. It is one of the nicest guns I own. But it is a gunsafe queen.

Maybe one of these days I will work with it some more. Got too many guns, is my problem. I might even think of selling it.

How can you tell if one of these is the coveted early guns?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I love mine, Not for sale :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

PaulB wrote:...you need receiver sights (or at least I do). But my gun was not drilled for such. I had to cook up something that would work with the drilled holes on top.
Williams makes an FP that fits side taps, but ALSO makes an FP that fits the scope (top) taps on the 336/1895 guns. Works really nice.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I got one of the 1895CB's in 2001 !

Used it to kill a deer or so and also shot some silhouettes with it !

Liked it so much I purchased s asecond one NEW to bore out and reline to 40-65 WCF ! But I couldn't bring myself to doing that to a nice new rifle ! Finally I found a nice old "original" Marlin 1895 in 40-65 that was made in 1896 !

After that I traded still NIB Marlin 1895CB #2 to a friend in Texas for a Marlin 336 Zane Grey and some cash ! I think we both came out well in that trade !

I wanted a Zane Grey and had actually committied to buy his rifle before I put mine up for sale ! And when I did we struck up a deal .

Anyway I like my 1895CB shooting the Lyman 330 grain HP , the Ranch Dog 460-350GC and the Ranch Dog 460-425GC . Killed a right nice heavy bodied 6 point whitetail with the rifle and the Lyman 330HP bullet in 2002 !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

I'm nuts about mine. There isn't a thing not to like about it. Offhand shooting is outstanding with the balance set up the way it is.
de k8bor

Dave
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I almost bought one a couple weeks ago.
I have the shorter LTD-III that Davidson's put out.
Wouldn't part with that one either.

I'm might just go back and see if that rifle's still there :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"