OT Experience w/Wolf brand .223 ammo?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

OT Experience w/Wolf brand .223 ammo?

Post by pharmseller »

I see over at ammoman.com that they have Wolf .223 for $269 or $279 for 1k rounds delivered.
http://www.ammoman.com/images/WOLF/223FMJ62GR.jpg
http://www.ammoman.com/images/WOLF/223%20FMJ%2055GR.jpg

Steel cased, boxer primed, noncorrosive, polymer coated. What's the dope on this ammo? The price seems great. I'm shooting a new stainless mini-14.

Thanks,

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Experience w/Wolf brand .223 ammo?

Post by rjohns94 »

good quality stuff. Goes bang everytime. A good choice for non-reloaders. They have lots of other ammo too. I have shot their .45 acp, 9mm too.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

If you don't have a chrome lined chamber & barrel, personally, I'd not. The lacquer/poly coating on the steel case can build up for some nasty cleaning if not possible damage to your Ruger's non-lined barrel.

I've shot lots of 7.62x39 in my SKS but that has the Chrome lining.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Before I had started to reload for my mini-14 thats 99% of what I shot. Good stuff!
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I've shot the .223 FMJ in my AR. Seems to be pretty dirty but it always goes bang. It's also less accurate than the cheap Winchester white box I used to use for training purposes, but not bad. Some people absolutely hate the stuff.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I shoot the .223 in my Saiga .223 AK - not in my Bushmaster or Stag AR's though. Mostly because its dirty and the soft steel cases MAY be hard on the extractors - and I handload, so no need to really.

Is accurate enough for practice and such in my Saiga which is like all AK's - eats anything you feed it.

I'd think the polycoated would do just fine in your impinger-driven mini-14.
Last edited by O.S.O.K. on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

From the AR15 forum, I understand that it's good stuff. There are a lot of threads on the Wolf ammo. Some say that the cases don't expand like brass cases, so a gap exists that allows the gases to blow back around the case, making the barrel dirtier. Then, when you fire M193 ammo afterwards, the brass cases can get lodged and stuck from the carbon build up. However, it seems the consenus is that if you clean after shooting the Wolf ammo, there is no impact on brass-cased ammo. Lastly, some ARs (maybe DPMS?) have issues with Wolf, but others (like Colt LMT, etc.) are okay with Wolf.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I have shot a ton of Wolf .223 through a Mini 14..seems to work pretty good for me. Accuracy can be minute of milk jug att 100 yards or so... but it's a Mini and we aint sposed to hit the barn from inside with those anyway :lol:

some of the older lots had a coating that would build up... the powder was one step above coal for dirt. If I understand the lot numbers I guess it was '99-03 product. (i bought a bunch when it was cheap)...the newer stuff seems cleaner. The coating issue seems to be affected by heating... I shoot pretty slow so I have not had an issue with it.

the .45 acp and .40 SW pistol fodder runs ok too. Every now and then a round sounds a little light... but all of it has cleared the bore and cycled the action.

I'd watch the Brown Bear and some of the other Eastern Block stuff... seems some of it has been reported with a very light copper wash over steel bullets. That could mess up a bore...
Jeff
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Shooter973
Levergunner

Post by Shooter973 »

I've shot a couple of cases of the stuff and have no complaints about it. I shoot it almost exclusively in my mini 14's as I hate looking for the cases. Has performed as well as any other 223 on the market. I'm down to my last 2 case, purchased several years ago for the princely sum of $100-$125 per case. When it's gone I don't think I'll pay the going price for more. Then it'll be reloads and search for the mt's.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I've shot a bunch in my .223 Handi-Rifle cheap reliable thrills but not minute of angle but at $2.55 a box I was not complaining.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It seems to not be as clean as other reloadable stuff. Winchester white box seems more accurate.

I seem to think more about keeping the money home these days too.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

I shoot Wolf in my Mini-30. Found the primers to be very hard. Every magazine would have at least 1 round that needed to be recycled. Got a souped up hammer spring (also used in Mini-14 according to package) from Midway ($10?) and the problem went away.
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

The steel case Wolf stuff wont chamber in my CZ527 Varmint rifle. I tried rounds from several different boxes with the same result. It chambers fine in my buddy's SKS so I'm guessing the CZ chamber is just tight. No complaints though. It really likes the Ultramax reman 55 gr softpoints and the Federal XM193 Eagle FMJ, both of which are reloadable and accurate.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

I've not had any problems with this ammo although it seems a bit dirty IMO. The Wolf .223 ammo runs and cycles great in my AR.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I've shot Wolf ammo extensively in my AR15 with no problems and decent accuracy. I have heard of problems developing over time with heavy use of the old lacquer-coated ammo, but I think the newer poly-coated stuff pretty much eliminates this potential. If you are stll concerned with that, the slightly more expensive Silver Bear ammo with its plated cases is excellent stuff, in my experience.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have shot quite a bit of wolf ammo, and the only gun to dislike it is my wife's Kel-Tec P3AT. My RIA 1911 loves it, and my Mini 30 has never failed with it, although the Federal in the blue box is much more accurate, and at 5 times the price it better be. I just looked and that Federal stuff is Power-Shok.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost