OT---43 Spanish Rem. R.B.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

OT---43 Spanish Rem. R.B.

Post by Sixgun »

Fellow Shootists,
Donw's thread on the RRB got me thinking. I recently snagged a like new RRB in 43 Spanish made sometime in the 1870's to 1880's. Has a bright shinny smooth bore, along with like new mechanics, so I decided to make a shooter out of it. Bullet moulds and dies are a no-brainer.....but....brass......I know Buffalo Arms has brass but at $2.50 a case, I'm gonna look elsewhere. Anybody ever make 'em out of .348 or have a source of "less expensive" brass?------------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
cas
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT---43 Spanish Rem. R.B.

Post by cas »

Is it .43 Spanish or .43 Reformado? The Reformado I had gave me fits, and I won't go near one again.

Jamison Brass can be gotten for a good deal less. Not "cheap", but do-able.

Graf and Sons
20 $36.99
100 $175.70
200 $332.91

(or of you know someone with an FFL/tax Number on file with them) :D
20 $31.99
100 $151.95
200 $287.9
Slow is just slow.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Six..Do a chamber cast to include a bit of the rifling before you buy anything . You might change your mind about loading for it. Remington cut their chambers long...You may have to go with a case that is substantially longer . Perhaps as much as a quarter inch.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

He right I have a long chamber on my .43 about 1/8 too long. I need to form some basic .43 brass to avoid the gap from chamber to rifling. Good Luck.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

When I had my Reformado I used Jamison brass. I think I bought just a few of the Buffalo Arms reformed from 348 cases. IIRC when blown out to Reformodo, they were extremely short. (the "improving" made them shorter, but this was much much more so.)
Slow is just slow.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks guys!

Cas, Its the standard 43 Spanish round with the shoulder. The gun chambers some old BP rounds I have perfect. I slugged the bore and it comes out at .440, which is the correct diameter for the 43 S.

Cliff and Ben--I hear 'ya on the long chamber thing. I have an original Sharps in 45-70 that almost takes a 45-90 case! She will chamber a 2.3. Funny thing about that Sharps---I tested about 800 rounds before I got the right combination and that combination required the bullet to be seated normally in the case. It jumps about a quarter inch before hitting the rifling. It will hit a beer can at 300 meters. Weird how some things work out.

I guess it looks like I'm gonna take a chance and get stocked up on this 43 S. I've done that before with a 50-70 and a .405 and lost out on both deals. Both those rifles had bad barrels so I moved 'em and had about $250 of loading junk from each caliber sittin' around for a mess of years. But the weird calibers I have won on over the years outweighed the loosers by about 10-1.

Cas, I'm gonna get some of that Jamison stuff---thanks!-----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

This post need pics of dat fine rifle.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Sixgun: also check the rim depth & dia. on that chamber.

From what I recall, there is a difference in the rim dia. & thickness between Jamison & Buffalo Arms .348 brass.

My .43 Span. likes the .348 Buffalo Arms brass. I also found that rifle shoots better w/ the ram/cleaning rod removed & the barrel bands tight.

From what I’ve read, the chambers were cut long some so as not to become easily fouled w/ BP residue &/or dirty ammunition.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Sixgun jr wrote:This post need pics of dat fine rifle.
Yes indeed I showed mine lets see yours. I think I read on another forum that someone was using 45-70 brass and resizing it to the Spanish round.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I saw a box on a friend's table today at the gun show, but it was marked .43 reformado. $8.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/