Adjunct To "How Far, Open Sights" Thread

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Adjunct To "How Far, Open Sights" Thread

Post by Blaine »

My offhand shooting is getting a hair shaky, so I prefer a supported shooting position when I can.....Now: Do you know how your rifle/pistol shoots when the firearm is touching anything? For me, my guns shoot different if I'm not holding the firearm properly and I always need to keep the weapon in my hands and steady my arms or elbows and NOT lay the weapon on or against anything....It makes a difference, IMO.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
stuffy
Levergunner

Re: Adjunct To "How Far, Open Sights" Thread

Post by stuffy »

Yes it does if it is resting on a hard surface the rifle will recoil away from the surface and, you can't control muzzle jump with your non trigger hand. This is why benchrests use sand bags and the better ones have gripper tops.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

What ever form of rest I use, I use it to rest my body on not the gun. I always try to hold the rifle / pistol as if I were standing. It shoots better that way ... from my experiences.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I am with J Miller on this I often rest my the backs of my hands or arms or elbows.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I always hang on with my hands. Might rest my hand or arm against a tree, fencepost or whatever, but never the firearm.
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J Miller wrote:What ever form of rest I use, I use it to rest my body on not the gun. I always try to hold the rifle / pistol as if I were standing. It shoots better that way ... from my experiences.

Joe
+1
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

whenever I shoot from a rest, I still have my hand underneath the forearm. Quite steady and easy to control.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

My Trapper shoots 8" to the left on bags vs hands.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I've not noticed a difference except that my groups are tighter off a rest. :)
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

TedH wrote:I always hang on with my hands. Might rest my hand or arm against a tree, fencepost or whatever, but never the firearm.
+1
Old Law Dawg
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

using a "supported position" will, normally always yeild better accuracy.

some of you "older" soldiers and marines will no doubt recall the "supported prone position" was the frog sling loop adjusted around the arm along with the supporting hand resting firmly on a sandbag along with proper "bone support"...deadly accurate when applied properly along with the firm cheek weld.

them wuz the days... 8)
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

[quote][/"older" soldiers and marines will no doubt recall the "supported prone position" was the frog sling loop adjusted around the arm along with the supporting hand resting firmly on a sandbag along with proper "bone support"...quote]

Hahahah....maybe that's why my 49 year old eyes can out shoot my recently- released Army step kid. He carried a M4 tricked out with all kinds of sight systems in the Sandbox... but struggles shooting a M1 or Mini 14 at 100 yards... didnt have a clue what to do with the sling either.

I heard that marksmanship training had slipped a little... I never served but learned a little bit years ago hanging around some CMP National guard program years ago... I guess it took.

Hill
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

back to topic.
for me the distance depends on how thick the front blade or bead is. If it covers the target at a distance I sorta guess where the 'x' is.

100 yards in a supported feild position .... maybe 150 with a good peep site is about as well as I see to shoot anymore.

Hill
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

My experience also when shooting off the sticks.

POI is slightly lower when shooting the 6.5x55AI from a sandbag or packsack than when I have the forestock nestled in the shooting sticks. For serious long range varmint work I always take the time to set up the sticks. Inside of two hundred yards the difference is negligable but past that the foxes sometimes get a free pass if I don't take proper set up time.

My little 94C is VERY sensitive to any "rest" in contact with any portion of the rifle.
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Rest hands and arms but never the rifle, and always have the same grip.

Old Sh.
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
rost495
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rost495 »

Lots of knowledge here. Glad to see folks actually testing things and knowing what works, how it works, and how to handle the situation! A lot of folks don't have a clue that it might shoot different, that each of us might look at sights and even scopes different etc...

Today I fired for the first time, my 32-20, 1892 a few shots. At 25 it was dead on, at 50 about 1.5 inches high. Need to stretch it for grins but for deer 50 will be about my max distance anyway. Gotta know how it works.

Jeff