upcoming auction, model 71 in its original box:

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

upcoming auction, model 71 in its original box:

Post by hfcable »

http://www.cowanauctions.com/upcoming_d ... emId=63922

when i lived in idaho falls,idaho, in the early 80's, a shop there had one in original box, never fired, as it left the factory.
cable
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Re: upcoming auction, model 71 in its original box:

Post by Hagler »

...I wonder how much the "factory original" yellow wire tie adds to its value...:

:!: :D :o :lol: :shock: :D :!:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Why in the world do those idiots put on those tie wraps? Absolutely rediculous. :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Well, at leasst they didn't call it "new in box", or other similar lie. What they have is a carefully used Deluxe that the owner kept the box for. That, by itself, is quite scarce. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Mike D. wrote:Why in the world do those idiots put on those tie wraps? Absolutely rediculous. :(
A danged good question. My luck, I'd buy it and then put some horrific ding or nick in it while trying to get that *******' thing off. I would be one ticked-off camper.

Scott
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I've got # 4079, deluxe, and its been in the family about 70+ years. I suppose the demoncrats would only judge it as an instrument of terror and murder or some such, but I would rather have mine, if it was required to give it up to gain this auction one.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Mike D. wrote:Why in the world do those idiots put on those tie wraps? Absolutely rediculous. :(
+1 It's nice, but not new in the Box.. :)
Semper Fi
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"Why in the world do those idiots put on those tie wraps? Absolutely ridiculous"
--Mike D.

Answer: to keep some fool from cocking the hammer or working the action.

Before I moved, I was a regular @ the local gun shop for over 20 years. It never failed to amaze me how many people just have the overriding urge to pick something up & handle it. More often than not, the owner would put the really nice stuff in the vault or in his desk drawer.

Look @ how some people handle stuff @ the gun shows or other venues where unusual &/or expensive items are on display or for sale. & it seems to me that the worst offenders are those who have no intention of buying &/or couldn't afford it....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

It may have been for sale at a gun show that required all guns to be made "safe' by using tie wraps. The owner just didn't remove it later. To me "NEW IN BOX" means never out of the box and NEVER had the lever opened. What's your guess at the final sales price. I'm in at $8000.00.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Gun Smith wrote: What's your guess at the final sales price. I'm in at $8000.00.
I'm thinking $3997 :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

It is a long tang gun and appears to have the early type comb on the buttstock, but it is not a "new gun". It is in good shape, so my guess is close to 4K, but who's to say with old Winchesters. Someone may get all cranked up over it and take it over the top. That's what auctions do to normally "sane" folks. The box means zero to me, it's the gun that I would want, but only for hunting. :)
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

I'd say 4-5K and 8-10K if it were a "short rifle." Long Tang of course. I saw a nice short tang in a "short rifle" go for 6K on Gunbroker...
Semper Fi
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I'm not sure when the "Always" sticker started, but I would doubt that it would transition from pre-war (long tang) to Post-war. I may be wrong though...I do know for a fact that the "Always" sticker was used around 1952. So my question is..."does the box really serialize to the rifle?" IF this rifle was on GunBroker I would expect it to go for the 7K range, but these auction sites seem to have a smaller venue, so get less bidding.

BTW: The auction doesn't state that it is NIB...it says "Complete with the original cardboard box" I would call that an accurate description.

Ed
Last edited by Kansas Ed on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Yeah tie wraps....I was reading a thread over at the CAS forum about a Volcanic rifle being repaired..It seems the buyer bought it at auction... everything was fine until (I'm guessing) the tie wraps came off.. Links and bolt were missing!!!..Having links and a bolt made... Nice close up pics of the internals of the thing there too..Beautiful exterior... engraved...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm with you Ed. I saw nothing about the description that was not accurate. No mention of NIB, just that it has the box.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Nice package with the sling and swivels, but the receiver sight may hurt it a bit. The pre-wars weren't D&T's for the receiver sight, and there's no way to prove the factory did it. If it's the proper Lyman 56 odds are decent it's factory, but from the photo it looks like it may be a 66 (very hard to tell).

Even so, with the original sling and swivels, and matching numbers on the box, I'll say $5k. If it appears the sight is a factory special order 56, add a little bit. Just my guess....
Chad