Puma knives, german origin:

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Puma knives, german origin:

Post by hfcable »

i mistakenly thought the earlier thread was about Puma knives, of the type made in germany; i have a very unusual model not available stateside that is actually quite practical and i have used it for cleaning grouse and for general carry purposes. it has folding blades built into the handle, including a 'skinning' blade that avoids entering the gut cavity,etc. a famous american maker, Scagel, made similar but much finer knives and someone is reproduing them now. anyhow here is my Puma:

i believe the sheath is adjustable, with two fasteners, so you can use the blades that are in the handle, while, protecting yourself from being cut by the fixed blade

i have used this knife to clean a number of grouse, but not yet gotten to use it on big game [ though i have had it for years!] the corkscrew is supposedly used for bottled water in europe, but i can vouch that it opens wine bottles quite well!
cable
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Puma knives, german origin:

Post by Rusty »

Very nice. I've carried Bucks for years, but now since they're made in China it's over. I've been thinking of getting a Puma to replace my Buck 110. Last I checked it would set me back about $111. From the quality they show, it would be well worth it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I was able to buy as many German Pumas as I wanted, at an employee's discount, in the Fall of '68 ( I was working part-time that Xmas season in a department store's sporting goods dept) - so bought one for each of my friends for that Christmas for about $20 each.
They loved them, and AFAIK, still have them.

I bought them a White Hunter, a Skinner, a Hunter's Pal, and a Bowie.
I didn't buy one for myself, because I had a handmade Randall, I liked better.

It's been a very long time, indeed, since I've seen a Puma combo, with the folding blades in the fixed balde's handle - Very, nice !

dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Hfcable, That is a nice one. Any idea how old it is?

Rusty, Most knives Buck sells are made in the USA; their website is decent and shows the different models.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That is just neat! German Pumas were a luxury item here in 1968. Pete's friends were lucky indeed! That White Hunter is quite a treasure now!!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My Puma Folder is my "go to" Hunting knife.
I keep it on a lanyard so I won't lose it. It's that good.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
WoodrowC
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WoodrowC »

That is a very unique Puma, I've never seen one like that. For field-dressing game animals like white tail deer, most hunters advocate a drop-point blade of moderate size, say 2 1/2" to 3" blade. For a large animal like a 1200 pound moose, however, I also use a larger blade such as my Puma White Hunter. The semi-sharp top of the blade is good for hacking at joints or vertebrae while saving the sharp lower blade for the cutting job. My White Hunter is a pre- 1964, no serial number manufacture, and I love it, almost as much as my Browning 71.

Regards, Gerry

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

that knife was brought back to me from germany in 1984; i think they still make it, but only sell it over there.
cable
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Rusty wrote:I've carried Bucks for years, but now since they're made in China it's over.
Most buck knives, including the 110 model are made in the United States of America. It is a bit misleading to make the broad general statement that Buck Knives are now made by the trash knife making country of China. Good affordable knives made here at home should at least be given the respect of honest representation. Buck manufactures good servicable knives in the state of Idaho. The state of Idaho is not some province of China; it is located right here in the good old U.S.A.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

WoodrowC wrote:That is a very unique Puma, I've never seen one like that. For field-dressing game animals like white tail deer, most hunters advocate a drop-point blade of moderate size, say 2 1/2" to 3" blade. For a large animal like a 1200 pound moose, however, I also use a larger blade such as my Puma White Hunter. The semi-sharp top of the blade is good for hacking at joints or vertebrae while saving the sharp lower blade for the cutting job. My White Hunter is a pre- 1964, no serial number manufacture, and I love it, almost as much as my Browning 71.

Regards, Gerry

I like my puma....its just like yours..
My dad gave it to me on my 25th birthday
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I bought this German "Eye" brand knife at a military show for £25.00 about $14.00. :o

The quality is equal to a Puma. And I believe the EYE company has been making knives since the 17th century.

Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

yes, i used to have an 'eyebrand' knife, and it was excellent; another old maker now gone that was excellent was the Wedimannsheil german knives; i have a couple of those as well.
cable
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

Speaking of knifes. While I was in Berlin Germany in 1976 (First Duty Station) being a Combat Engineer we were digging up ground to build a range shack I found an old Hitler Youth knife. All was left was the blade and the part that holds the handle( So my squad leader told me). I had that blade for years and was missed placed during a move. Broke my heart
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

I would be cautious about buying new-manufacture or recent Puma knives based on the reputation for quality that was established by the older ones. The company has been through ownership changes/restructuring that significantly lowered the quality, and some Pumas are now made in Spain!! I grew up using original Pumas in the 70's and my deer hunting knife for the past 20+ years has been a Puma Game Warden mfd' c. 1980. They take and hold a scalpel's edge. I purchased a new-made Puma stockman pocket knife a couple of years ago and it was a total thing. Workmanship was sub-standard and the blade quality/edge holding was pretty poor IMHO.

Back in 1980, while stationed in Germany, I sent my father a Puma with blades similar to the one shown, but it does not have a fixed blade, only folding blades. It, and the one pictured, are not too commonly found in the US but are pretty popular, higher-end knives in Germany. The one pictured appears to be probably from the 1960's or possibly early 70's, as a guess, based on the silver inlay in the handle and from what I can see of the blade marking. The older Pumas are now collectable and command pretty high prices... for a reason. You can read more about the company history and dates of production changes on the site of Puma Knife Man.com; he is a collector who offers new-in-box older knives for sale, and has info on how to date them on his site, etc.

If I were picking a new pocket knife today, I would FAR rather have a current manufacture Queen or Schatt & Morgan than a modern Puma; some are available with D2 tool steel blades or ATS 34 blades, and the fit/finish/blade machining is top notch.

Hope this helps,
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

My Dad has my Grandpa's White Hunter, I keep hoping to find it under the Christmas tree one day.