Sportsmans Warehouse in Victorville,CA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Sportsmans Warehouse in Victorville,CA

Post by scr83jp »

On 10-15-08, open only 4 months, the store was closed laying off 85 people. It was a breath of fresh air compared to the other sporting goods stores in this area .
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: Sportsmans Warehouse in Victorville,CA

Post by Lefty Dude »

We had one in Goodyear, AZ., they closed it and moved the inventory to a new store in Prescott, AZ. The Goodyear store was open about 3 years.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I just found out that one opened in Henderson NV about a month ago. I had better check it out before its gone too :shock:
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Suppose it was the economy, Ca. laws, or both?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Perhaps pour advertising in conjunction with pour location. It was flanked by two Bass Pros - one in Vegas and one only about a half hour away in Rancho Cucamonga. I never even knew it was there.

Too bad...I go to the Reno one each time I'm in town, but I'm afraid that one may be in trouble too with the new Cabela's and the Sheel's that just opened. I can't believe little ole' Reno (population 300k) has three major sporting goods stores now, and San Diego metro (population 3 mil) has ZERO.

I think SW should've put their store down here.
Chad
Gun Runner
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Gun Runner »

Went to the one in Roseville CA. awhile back. Bout 35-40 miles from me. Talking to couple of the people in the gun section, I would have been better off talking to my 8yr old granddaughter. They coundent aws. any of my questions. And when they found out I wasant gonna buy the pistol I was looking at because it was 70 dollars cheaper at my local gun shop. They all had something to do elsewares. I dint buy anything there, the wife bought couple things and coundent beleave I dint spend any money there. These were not kids working behind the counter, but a couple older guys.

Gun Runner
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'm in my third week working at the local Sportsman's Warehouse. I have been hunting and shooting for 45 years and reloading for 40, fished in Alaska and hunted in Africa. I thought I knew a lot about firearms, but having to know the details, magazine capacities, model numbers of perhaps 100 long guns and 80 or 90 handguns off the top of my head has been a humbling experience.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I don't think I could make it at Sportsman's Warehouse. I am pretty lacking in knowledge of new guns, and that's all they carry!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

marlinman93 wrote:Suppose it was the economy, Ca. laws, or both?
No, they put it in Victorville. Too far away from the L.A. area to compete withe Bass Pro that opened last year in Rancho
Cucamonga. :roll:
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
Yodar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yodar »

Lefty Dude,

I have lived in Prescott for the past five years and I have not seen a Sportmens Warehouse around here.
Both94sPlus
Levergunner

Post by Both94sPlus »

A shame to see SW fail locally, but as far as gun stuff goes--Bass Pro isn't real impressive, except gun prices--which are about average for local shops. Ammo and components are priced high and not in great depth.

Victorville was VERY poor placement--my understanding was that Corona/Norco was supposed to be the siting, but it never took place--then POOF the Victorville store opened. Nice for me, it was 50+ miles closer to Ridgecrest, but not very good business sense. Of course, the NFL wants nothing to do with Los Angeles, either. :)
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

71fan wrote:Perhaps pour advertising in conjunction with pour location. It was flanked by two Bass Pros - one in Vegas and one only about a half hour away in Rancho Cucamonga. I never even knew it was there.

Too bad...I go to the Reno one each time I'm in town, but I'm afraid that one may be in trouble too with the new Cabela's and the Sheel's that just opened. I can't believe little ole' Reno (population 300k) has three major sporting goods stores now, and San Diego metro (population 3 mil) has ZERO.

Chad, are you not counting the Big 5? I know there's at least one in SD, that's where my friend got his Winchester. Of course that's up in Clairemont, somewhere around Balboa and Convoy. The rest of San Diego is too hip for a sporting goods store. If they go camping they buy stuff at Ikea.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

There is a Sportsman's Warehouse and a Cabellas in Olympia. I prefer SW. CCI LR Primers are about $27 per 1000 at SW versus $40 per 1000 at Cabellas.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have never ben to a sporting gooods store, ANYWHERE, where the employes knew much about guns. This absolutely includes Cabela's. Some of the outright "disinformation" handed out to customers was disturbing to me, but I kept my trap shut. Where in the world do they find these "gun experts" that haunt their gun rooms? Instead of intelligently answering questions, to which I already knew the correct replies, all they could do was talk about how rare and valuable the gun was. Mostly, they were overstating the gun's condition and would not listen to a sensible explaination of their errors. :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

El Chivo wrote:
71fan wrote:Perhaps pour advertising in conjunction with pour location. It was flanked by two Bass Pros - one in Vegas and one only about a half hour away in Rancho Cucamonga. I never even knew it was there.

Chad, are you not counting the Big 5? I know there's at least one in SD, that's where my friend got his Winchester. Of course that's up in Clairemont, somewhere around Balboa and Convoy. The rest of San Diego is too hip for a sporting goods store. If they go camping they buy stuff at Ikea.
I made a call to another SW, they now realize they put the store in the wrong location w/o checking the area that well,I told them more about the area than they knew I also mentioned better locations like San Berrnardino, Riverside or Orange Counties . Many of my friends didn't know where the store was located until I gave them directions.All of the merchandize in the victorville store was transferred to the new Visalia SW Store and the employees were reassigned to other stores in the chain.